Insimenator.org
May 21, 2024, 03:16:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: game crash on the exit CAS screen?  (Read 1190 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
bekidoll1

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2009, 02:00:14 pm »

Hi guys,
I have a dell inspiron laptop, with sims 2 deluxe (inc nightlife and celebration stuff pack etc).

My laptop meets all of the min system requirements as far as i know:
Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 1525
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A13
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2038MB RAM

Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

the problem i'm having is that when i go on CAS to make a family, it lets me create the people but when i exit to go back on to the neighborhood, it crashes in the family screen. The arrow stops rotating and becomes movable as if loaded.

I've downloaded the patches and it says the game is up to date (and therefore i presume work ok).

My friend has the exact same laptop and the game works fine on hers

Any ideas what else I can do?

Thanks in advance x

Inspire to be inspired x :daisy:
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 05:53:34 pm »

Your computer really skirts the lower edge of minimum requirements (and the chipset doesn't reach the minimum requirement level).

That said, it may be possible to play. But, several cautions:

Sims2 isn't particularly designed with laptops in mind, so heat will be a major issue, and could over time damage the computer. Since the crash is happening while the computer is working extra-hard (configuring the internal files of the Sim(s) you created to be residents of the 'hood), it may be heat-related or just a lack of resources, if you have anything else non-essential running on the computer.

Vista will gobble up about half of your reported RAM all by itself, but the remaining RAM should be okay for playing so long as you keep lot and 'hood decorations on the lesser side. In neighborhoods, if there are a lot of trees, for example, remove a goodly chunk of them.

Sims2 and duo-core processors can be problematic. You might try resetting the affinity for the game to non-duo-core. See here:

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Dual_Core_Issues

Would suggest you make sure that anything other than Vista which is running in the background be turned off before attempting to play Sims2, as well as raising the feet of the laptop by putting something beneath them which does not also block the vents of airflow underneath the machine. This includes disconnecting from the internet and also (only after disconnecting from the net) turning off any anti-virus program you may have. Also would suggest disabling Windows Defender (it is not a particularly useful thing to have enabled for most Vista users anyway and just eats up resources which could be better available for other applications, IMHO).

Next, temporarily move your Downloads folder out of the game and see if the same problem replicates. If NOT, then put the Downloads folder back in but take out (again, temporarily) about half of the contents of that folder and see if the problem reappears. If SO, you'll just have to keep the contents of the Downloads folder on the skimpy side.

Would also suggest going into Graphics Options when in-game and reducing the graphics load of the game in general. Turn off shadows, turn off reflections, and if anything else is set at High, try knocking it back to Medium.

Last, installing updated drivers for the chipset might be of help:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-022768.htm
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 06:00:19 pm by rwills » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: