Insimenator.org
May 06, 2024, 10:35:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: please help?  (Read 3804 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Tess35

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2009, 04:31:44 pm »

I was having problems with my computer the other day and I wanted to do a recovery on my system. well for some reason it did a restore and put my downloads on my C drive in a yellow folder called back -Up?!
how in the world can I get my downloads back from clean installer and my games?  I see alot of folders on different things but I want someone to please help me.      Cry

"Out on the road between nowhere and here........"
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 10:17:18 pm »

A Back-Up is just a copy of your downloads folder and I'm sure if you choose to 'explore' or 'open' the file all your downloads will be stored inside the folder and if so you could more than likely just drag that folder into your downloads folder with-in your TS2 directory I could be wrong though?
Tess35

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 10:06:26 am »

I will try that thanks.       

saowens
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 10:39:20 am »

It could also be that their is a problem with your hard drive and the restore could not write or read that part of the drive so it saved what it could in the backup folder. When you say restore do you mean that you ran a restore from a cd or were you using windows restore to a previous date?
Tess35

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:15:32 am »

well for some reason it restored itself instead of a recovery.  it was from my computer.
I still cannot figure out how to get my stuff back.    huh

saowens
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 11:04:38 am »

Does your pc have vista or Windows XP?

I don't use Vista and never will so I can't help you if it's Vista. sorry.

A windows restore should never over write application files. I have never seen it happen that is. A recovery will create folders in the my documents folder of programs that were on the pc before the recovery was ran though.

Some manufacturers create a separate partition on the hard drive for recovery purposes and I have a feeling that is what was ran. If this is the case you may not get the download folder (cc) back unless you have a copy of it some where.  Sad
Tess35

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 03:18:31 pm »

I have windows XP.  see I can go to my computer, right click on local disk C and open and it shows yellow folders. some of them are EA games, my back-up with my program files in it.  I went to 'answers' on yahoo site and this person told me to do this......
Use Windows Explorer, drag and drop the folders to where they should be, EASY.
I am either not all here today or I am totally confused.    huh
do you know what that means?
I have a folder that has all my sims games in it.  this is totally confusing.
( sorry )

saowens
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 08:32:05 pm »

I am assuming you do not have a C:\Program Files\Ea Games\ all of your sims games folders any longer so,

Here is all you have to do.

If you have the above Ea Games folder on your C: drive don't do the following

Open My Computer then double click the local C: disk and double click the backup folder that has the folder with all of the Sims games inside it. If should be an EA Games folder with the Sims games in it not the custom content. You should see folders named  The Sims 2  names of the EP's you had in it.
Find the EA games folder and right click on it.
click on copy.
Now click the back arrow at the top of the screen until you see all of the yellow folders. The address bar at the top of the window should just have C:\

Double click the yellow Program Files folder. If you see an Ea games folder in there stop. if you don't see it then continue.

Click Edit at the top of the window and then select paste. That will put the games back where thy belong. That does not mean they will work. The recovery may have over written the windows registry which means a reload of the Sims games.

That does not mean you have lost all of your custom content though. Take a look in the back up folders or your My Documents folder for another folder named Ea Games with the custom content folder in it. It will look something like this inside.

If you find it in the My Documents folder then it probably still has the custom content in it. Double click it and  see. If you find it in one of the backup folders then right click on it and select copy and then double click My Documents and click on edit at the Top of the window and select paste.

That should do it for the Sims. Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. Good Luck we are all counting on you.  Grin

Tess35

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 10:00:10 am »

hello, thanks for trying to help me.    I do have this      C:\EA GAMES in yellow folders.
I tried what you said and I evidently didn't do something right.   
so now since I have this folder   C:\EA GAMES in yellow folders  what do I do now?
I think my computer is all messed up and confused just as much as I am. 
too bad you are not right here helping me.        Sad

saowens
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 11:57:14 am »

too bad you are not right here helping me.

I was thinking the same thing last night. If I was able to be on your pc I'm sure I could either get it working or know for sure that a reload is needed. I do have a way to take over your desktop from my office pc with a web based application but I would really need to be on the phone or in direct contact with you while I was getting connected. I would be more than willing to do that but I would need some personnel info from you like a phone number.

If you could give me that via pm I'll delete it from my memory when we are done. If you don't want to do that I totally understand. You would need to be at your pc to initiate the connection though. After I'm finished I would not have anyway to reconnect with this application unless you allowed it so you need not worry about me connecting while you were not on your pc etc.
Tess35

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 06:39:25 pm »

I did a restore a few minutes ago.  do you think I will have to install ALL my games again?
when I right click on local disk C under explore I see EA games.   

saowens
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 06:33:01 am »

do you see c:\program files\Ea games with the sims 2 folders inside of the Ea Games folders? Or does the Ea games folder you see have the folders in it that look like the post I made earlier? I'm leaning towards you having to reload your game at this point but if you can find the folders in my earlier post then you won't loose your custom content.
Tess35

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 09:10:08 am »

trying again.      Sad

saowens
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 09:25:34 am »

I just noticed I deleted the image I posted of the folders. I was cleaning up my photo bucket page and deleted that one by mistake. The thing is that image is on my pc at home so if you need it I won't be able to put it back until later this evening.
Tess35

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 07:31:51 pm »

I have lost everything.  thanks so much for trying to help.       I greatly appreciate it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: