red X popup when trying to start the sims 2?

(1/2) > >>

JacobM:
when i try to start the sims 2, with all expansions. everything up to mansion & garden stuff, i get a red x popup box, with no text. what is this error, and how do i get my game to start?

what i did was i installed direct x 10 last night, but i think i already had that installed so it should not have messed up my game. i then installed the latest drivers for my video card and my game wouldn't start at all.

now i've done a system restore, and i get a red x popup box when trying to load the game.

i uninstalled mansion and garden stuff, and apartment life and reinstalled but i kept getting the same error. since the system restore didn't do anything, i've restored my computer back to its original state.

with the error still occurring.

help?

Tenshii~Akari:
Did you try deleting your cache files from your My Document's "The Sims 2" folder?  Normally deleting the following files would solve the red "X" problem:

Groups.cache
Accessory.cache
cigen.package
ContentRegistry

If that doesn't work, what are your graphics specs?  It's possible that if you were installing DirectX 10 for the first time, there may be a compatibility issue.

ladymiriam:
Totally agree with the above, whenever my game hasn't started or thrown an error on start up it has always been the cache files.

amc462000:
you're using the M&G disc right?

JacobM:
yes, i'm using the mansion and gardens disk.

there's no problems with cache files because i completely removed the sims  2 folder before starting the game. the game is supposed to open and generate new files in it's spot, but it won't.

i actually did install direct x 10 recently.. i'll try uninstalling and see what happens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page