Insimenator.org
May 06, 2024, 04:00:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Limits?  (Read 2471 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
baileybop
Squinge Is My Mastah

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2007, 04:22:37 am »

Is there a limit to anything ingame? Colletion folders, Saved Sims, Lot Catalogue? I don't have many in these folders, but I was wondering if they had limits. And is there a limit to the number of lots you can install at any given time? The reason I'm asking is that my computer crashed twice, now that it has been fixed *runs faster and smoother now too Smiley * and I have a lot of houses to re-install.

I stalk...... oh no, I mean I worship the Hack_Mastah, Squinge :worship:
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 04:51:47 am »

If you are using the Aspyr Mac version, the file limit is 12800 total.  Maybe a few more, but not many.

If you are using Windows 98, I have experienced a similar limit that causes a crash when exceeded.

Under Windows XP on an NTFS partition, I have had over 25 GB of files in my user folders without issue - yes the game was slow to load, and all, but it worked ok after loading, but I have 16 GB of RAM and dual CPUs, I dread to imagine what would happen on a smaller system.

Under both Mac and Windows, there can be problems if you have excessive sub-foldering. In this case the length of the address can be the problem.  For example:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sasha\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads\subfolder\subfolder\subfolder\subfolder\subfolder\subfolder\subfolder\subfolder\subfolder\subfolder\subfolder\subfolder\subfolder

is just begging for trouble.  I would be surprised if the hard drive would even accept such a set-up without serious problems.

I have seen drops in performance at fairly regular intervals:

• 8192 files
  • 16384 files
  • 24576 files
  • etc

I had a game failure that I could not correct until I reduced my downloads below 32000

But the game will have trouble when you have too many screen captures in your Storytelling folders, no one has been able to give me a figure that is the limit there.

The same is true of the SavedSims folder, different people have reported problems when they have more than 100 Sims.

As for collections, I don't know.  Some people have the game crash if they have even one user made collection, others have 100s.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 05:01:28 am by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
baileybop
Squinge Is My Mastah

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:32:24 am »

Thanks for the info, in my downloads folder the only subfolders I have are the categories that are in Clean Installer, but what about the number of lots? How many can you install at a time? I have a lot of Victorian houses-(about 20)unfurnished, and all of Wolfsim68 Blue-Red-Yellowstone lots.

I stalk...... oh no, I mean I worship the Hack_Mastah, Squinge :worship:
Micco

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 09:07:58 am »

My downtown currently uses about 830 MB of ram with everything I have uploaded (and a few that I haven't) installed in it; I keep adding more. I don't intend to stop until it causes issues (which it hasn't... yet.)

The only limit I have breached is the 18th floor (CTD).
Quote from: beosboxboy;566786
I had a game failure that I could not correct until I reduced my downloads below 32000
:worship:

Woohoo U is now CLOSED.
nova-storm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 12:50:35 pm »

i have downsized alot. I am down to 4.77 gigs of downlaods. MY game takes about 10 min to load but it plays fine. I am not sure how many homes you can load before the game goes all wako tho lol

:happy8:A closed mouth gathers no foot. :smile:
resistance is futile you will be assimilated
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 01:24:41 pm »

baileybop - I have a near maniacal fascination with No.55 Woodland Drive - the only true corner lot in the game  - and have some 50 or more duplicate installs of it choking my pre-made lots bin.  I have seen that some people can only install 3 lots from sims2packs at a time (I am not sure if they mean total or per session).

I think there are limits in the game that may come into the equation based on your system's resources.  I know my experience with the game on Macs is vastly different from the game under Windows.  And even in Windows there is considerable difference between Windows 98 on my old crap-top (256 MB RAM, 1 GHz CPU) and Windows XP on my beast system (16 GB RAM, dual 3.2 GHz CPUs).  So I really think there is no one-size-fits-all answer here.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: