Insimenator.org
May 02, 2024, 10:16:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WooHoo problems  (Read 3462 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2007, 11:05:01 am »

You can merge this if you want/feel the need.

I just downloaded the WooHoo project from the wonderful link here but there are issues with every button that I wanted to ask about.

First, neither of the "Install" or "View" options do anything.  I have a .package file to install, but when I click on either they do nothing.

Second, the Test optiion seems to crash half-way through.  I don't know if it's a file of mine or something but that's what I'm guessing.

Third, the "Backup" doesn't seem to work either.  It opens the Backup-window but nothing happens and I'm forced to Force Quit the program.

Finally, the "Browse" button.  It works just fine, but some of the files thay say 'Corrupt' across the little skull-picture work just fine.  I'm not sure what that means.

If anyone has anything to say about any of my questions I would love some feedback.
And while I'm asking things, is there a tutorial for this application anywhere?

My Sims don't need to know it's not 2008 anymore.
Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 12:48:54 pm »

I have only tried the backup-option myself, and that didn't work for me either. This should probably be directed at the people that works on this though.

Tied third place in Mr. Insimenator 2007
Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 01:46:23 pm »

I would except the project was dropped by them apparently.
Maybe the people who put it up for download put up a corrupt file or something.

My Sims don't need to know it's not 2008 anymore.
Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 02:16:57 pm »

I think the people who put it up for download has taken over the project, it was them I ment should be notified Wink

Tied third place in Mr. Insimenator 2007
Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
Undercoat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 09:16:07 am »

I agree there are problems to be resolved. Unfortunately Woo Hoo did not do all that  i had hoped it would do.

It is a matter of good housekeeping just as in the game a sim could suffer a slow Death by Flies, our Macs could suffer a slow Death by Files - so any tool to keep the download folder tidy is useful. The Sims 2 did seem to run more smoothly after getting rid of a large number of files from the download folder but I changed my mind and prefer to recover what I had before. Having deleted all the files  that Woo Hoo identified as corrupt I decided to reload the back up copy (made by the finder).

Another tool is the DBPF Reader - it reads the .package file in the Sims 2. It is available from Atelier Quebec.

http://pages.infinit.net/origami/Atelier_Quebec/

From the home screen select the program button and go to the program screen.

Here you will find three programs. IFF.Snooper is for The Sims 1 IFF files, Skn2UV looks at the maps inside SKN files - I think. On the right hand side is the DBPF Reader.

Below the icons are three rows. The top row is for PCs and links more information - I think, the second row is for Mac OSX, the last row is for Mac OS 9.

The explanations there are very good, even I can understand them.

Back to Woo Hoo. The browse button works OK. When I use the Backup button in Woo Hoo (doe that sound bad?) A button New Smart Backup on the lower right right hand side should appear to initiate the back up. A small window should appear to Rename the Back up folder. This will take a while but you can have fun watching a blue bar gradually extend across the lower part of the big window.

The back up seems to work only if there are not any bad corrupt files. But there are two kinds of corrupt files: those that work (good corrupt files)  and those that don't (bad corrupt files). The ones that work I think are from the more recent EPs which were released after Woo Hoo was made and not recognised by Woo Hoo as good files. The DBPF reader identifies these good files as Version 1.2.

I am still happy with the funcionality that it offers but it reads Version 1 and 1.1 only. the later Version. 1.2 files are considered corrupt and these files are files I want to keep. I think I will use Woo Hoo in conjunction with the DBPF reader to identify and remove files which are no longer required.

Phew! Basically what I am trying to say is that in my opinion Woo Hoo is  a small step in the right direction but has to be used with care.
Under_Fire

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 01:23:59 pm »

Quote from: AxelVal;770196

First, neither of the "Install" or "View" options do anything.  I have a .package file to install, but when I click on either they do nothing.

Second, the Test option seems to crash half-way through.  I don't know if it's a file of mine or something but that's what I'm guessing.

Third, the "Backup" doesn't seem to work either.  It opens the Backup-window but nothing happens and I'm forced to Force Quit the program.

Finally, the "Browse" button.  It works just fine, but some of the files thay say 'Corrupt' across the little skull-picture work just fine.  I'm not sure what that means.

The thing about WooHoo is that it was a project never completed. The version from Derailed Sims 2 is the 'Most Complete' version available. But by no means is it DONE.

The Test option has never worked for me either. It always crashes halfway through. Backup I honestly have never tried.

For view I find I have to actually select the package I want to view from the downloads folder and double click to open it. (I have all .package files defaulted to open in WooHoo) Only then can I select textures and see their contents. The same way you can with the DBPF reader. The view button from the 'Howdy' startup screen does diddly, as you already know.

As for install I find if you leave the radio button on 'All' in the filter list you will be able to view the packages but the 'Install selected items' button does not become selectable. You actually have to choose the filter options individually (Genetics, Walls, Llamas etc.) before the 'Install selected items' button will work. Once you've installed everything, nothing will show up when 'Not Installed' is selected in the list items - obviously.

In terms of 'corrupt' files it could be an item with a high poly count that has the potential to crash your game. Or it could be an item that contains something WooHoo does not recognize. I have no clue. But again the program is still unfinished, imperfect, and as I understand - no longer in development.

....you can tell I've spent enough time fiddling with WooHoo....you have to 'finesse' it. LOL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: