Insimenator.org
May 03, 2024, 07:37:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Problem. Added image of unknown exe file  (Read 4087 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 09:29:27 pm »

Charlotte - I have found in this world that anything worth having is worth paying for.  I have used Kaspersky AV for 7 years and without fail it has detected and procted me against things Panda, Norton, McAfee, and AVG have never even detected until much later updates.

Kaspersky AntiVirus is only free the first 30 days, after that it requires a licence.  It is only about USD $ 50/£40/€40 per year, but in my estimation well worth the price.  I refuse to work on any friend's computer unless they have Kaspersky installed because of my previous experience with the inferior performance of all other anti-virus software.

AVG is "good enough" to do if you cannot afford the cost of Kaspersky, but make certain to also install and regularly update AdAaware, Sbybot Search & Destroy, and SpywareBlaster -- even if you install Kaspersky or any other anti-virus software.

You will also want to install a HOSTS file, this will automatically block access to many known bad URLs on the internet, this too will need updated regularly.  I use hpguru's hosts file because it has never failed to block less than 99% of the worst of the worst URLs and is updated very frequently: get it here

The downside is that many "free" hosting situations used by simmers are known offenders that install all manner of horrors on your computer without your permission, with the HOSTS file you will no longer be able to access these sites, which really isn't that big of a loss considering the spyware and malware they will most likely install.

Let me stress again, NEVER open any attachment or file sent to you with an EXE on the end.  Opening any EXE from an unknown person is the surest way to infect your computer, and even from known persons, since viruses do spread of their own volition via AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and email with regularity.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 09:42:03 pm by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 07:28:17 am »

Thanks for all your help, it is really appreciated, the computer wouldn't let me download anything, so i have formatted my computer and all is fine. I will look into purchasing anti virus. Now i'm just going through the process of downloading AdAware and Spybot again. So happy to have my computer back lol

Char
xxx

tylersada

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 08:26:30 am »

I have downloaded the trial version of OneCare from Microsoft.  So far I like it.  It is not as intrusive as some other virus protection programs and seems to get the job done (I also have windows firewall).

Sims Mommy
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: