Insimenator.org
May 06, 2024, 07:03:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do all my Sims kids look like their fathers?  (Read 1919 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Naria
Jedi Master

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2008, 05:12:51 am »

I'll admit right off I don't know much about how the genetics work in Sims, I kind of just figured it was random, but it's getting ridiculous now ... None of the Sims born in game have ever looked anything like their mothers, they are always almost exact replicas of their fathers.

Can someone explain how the genetics work in Sims, or can someone tell me a way around them looking like their fathers all the time?

I have SimPE, so if there's a way to change genetics in there, that'd be great.

My other ride is a chocobo.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 01:40:28 am »

my experience here is sort of limited since I never let my neighbourhoods go more than 30-days before I delete the Neighbourhoods and start over; that being said, I will continue.

Assuming you don't have a set of face template replacements...

it should be understood that the Maxis face templates are not really that different between the male and female version of each series.  If you have Sim males that are "pretty" these tend to have distinctly feminine features and the blending with the face of the mother won't be very pronounced.  However if you have a sim male with clearly male features, these are going to be markedly strong features and may stand out pretty clearly in the children of a union.

The face blending of The Sims 2 isn't all that great, the way it works is a bit like taking all the parts of the two parents' faces in a bag, shaking them up, then pulling out a nose, a mouth, a chin, eye-brows, hair, etc and cobbling up a face.  It's random and usually doesn't result in very attractive Sims if the parents have strong features that are very different.

Skin tones usually don't have much going on in terms of "pre-painted make-up" -- at least the one's I favour don't -- and a significant portion of the mother's features may be obscurred or made more attractive by layers of various bits of make-up.  So perhaps, the issue is not that they look like the father so much as they don't have as much make-up on them as the mother >_<

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Naria
Jedi Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 02:18:06 am »

I never make my males look pretty (maybe I should now though!), so I guess that is what is happening, they are getting the stronger features. It seems every in game born Sim comes out with their fathers hair, fathers eyes, and facial features ...

And my Sim females usually don't wear tons of makeup, I like to keep it basic and just use eyeliner, so I don't think that's the issue.

I don't know. I guess my Sims are just destined to never look as pretty as their mothers. Poor Sims.

Thanks for the reply, though. I was wondering just what the heck was going on.

My other ride is a chocobo.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: