Insimenator.org
May 12, 2024, 05:48:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't load Seasons or Pets  (Read 3164 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
JaneRob

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2008, 03:00:23 am »

HI, I hope someone can help me.

I have a new computer, a Quad-core processor, graphics Nividea GE-force 8500GT, XP.  When l loaded everything (l have all expansion packs, some stuff packs) up to Bon Voyage, it kept crashing and then became unplayable.  I unloaded it, updated the video card, and reloaded.  It works fine now, except l cannot load Seasons or Pets.  The second disk on both these packs will not load, and you cannot do it through windows explorer.  They load fine on the old computer, l have tested it.

Question, is it the processor?

What to do?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:02:57 am by JaneRob » Logged
Alasdair

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 07:51:54 am »

You can only use the disk from the latest expansion you have installed. In this case BV, everything from the other games will still be available.

You will just have to use the playable disk from BV to play the game now.
JaneRob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:43:03 am »

What l mean is l cannot install Seasons or Pets in the game, to add the expansion pack, you can do this after Bon Voyage.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 09:48:11 am by JaneRob » Logged
Alasdair

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 04:56:20 pm »

Sorry, I thought about it later and thought that might be what you were having trouble with. I don't know if you can install the expansions out of release order or not. I installed mine in order and I don't have BV yet, so I can't be of much help.
snapzit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 05:30:54 pm »

Jane Rob- check this out -    http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=70046. I had a similar problem. You have to get into your hard drive and locate every scrap of Sims2 related items and get them out of there before you can re-install them. This might mean backing up your custom content onto a CD or DVD so you can delete all the file(s) on your hard drinve.
JaneRob

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 08:28:45 am »

Thanks for your tips Snapzit.  I am at this stage a bit reluctant to unload everything again, just when the game is settling.  However, l wonder if the problem is something else.  I say this because it is the second disk of Pets and Seasons that will not load, and their contents do not appear under internet explorer.  

Cheers
snapzit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 12:49:47 pm »

After wrangling with Seasons/Pets, a tech went in remotely and found some stuff that had been hidden by Vista. I say hidden, but in reality, I'm just not used to the way Vista stores things as opposed to XP, which is pretty straightforward. There were little snips and snaps of Sims items hanging around.

That said, if your game is settling down, go with you instincts until it begins to bother you. Knowing how the game should run (as experienced on my old XP computer), and trying to tolerate the craziness on my new Vista computer is too much for me, especially having paid so much for it.

Now it's their turn; a tech is coming to fix it, and I will not let him/her leave until all my programs, including my game, work properly. I hope you have good luck getting it to work. Pulls hair and screams...
JaneRob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 10:53:32 pm »

Hi,

Thought l will update.  I have installed the two expansion packs, Pets and seasons.  I found some information on Mod the sims2 web-site about manually installing, which l have done.  If the CD files do not show up on windows explorer, then they will not load, so l copied the CD into a file called Disk2 from my old compter.  
Disk one is copied into a file called Disk1, and both these files are stored in a file called Disk Images.  (l transferred the Disk2 file from the old computer wich could read it).  Open Disk Images, then open Disk1 and autorun, it will install as normal.  This l have done with both expansion packs. I have tested it, they seem to be both installed, but so far i have had no weather, no snow, etc.  I will continue to test it.  I hope it has all installed properly, but l am not willing to fiddle with it yet.

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 02:46:03 am by JaneRob » Logged
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 12:52:52 pm »

When you start seasons for the first time it will default into summer, so you might not see anything until Autumn.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
snapzit

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 05:08:27 pm »

After wrestling again and again with new computer issues, here's this: I went out and bought a *new* copy of Sims 2 Deluxe. I know, I know, I just gave EA/Maxis more of my hard-earned money, BUT! Being completely fed-up with installing, uninstalling, hide-and-seek, I just gave up.

They must have fixed a lot of things since I first got the game. One, it works with Vista. Two, it seems to update everything else that you load after it. I have loaded all the EPs up to and including Seasons, all the stuff Packs except Family Fun Stuff and Celebration Stuff, and it works fine (crosses fingers, knocks on wood), even with Vista. When I checked the Exchange for patches, it informed me that each EP was up to date, a first.

Last night I loaded most of my cc and didn't notice any new issues. I've got the CEP, Q-installer, and will get Clean Installer today to sort it all out.

I'm going to give my first copy of Deluxe to a friend who has a bit older computer and is running XP. It should work fine for her as it di on my old computer.

Good luck. I hope you find this useful.
JaneRob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 06:09:39 am »

Hi Snapsit,

Thanks, l wondered if that may be some of the problem.  I have it working now thanks, and waiting for the new expansion pack to fix up BV.

Cheers,
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: