Insimenator.org
May 03, 2024, 01:57:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: blue screen  (Read 10345 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Niliav

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 06:30:13 pm »

Do you mean lower the hardware acceleration or what? I'm not really understanding what you mean by lowering the settings.
Rayea

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2006, 06:01:11 pm »

might sound daft, but have you tried going back to an earlier vid driver?
my machine is still using the defalt drivers that came shipped in the box, and i dont get the blue screens *touch wood*

that also seems to be a problem with a few games....i often remind folks on GuildWars Guru that the FX cards have a know glitch on that game and to go back to the 7. or 8. nvidia drivers....

by lowering the settings, they mean going into the settings part of the game and setting the sim detail to mid or low, the graphical detail to mid/low.
turn off the shadows and reflections.
set item detail to mid/low
save it and try the game now....not as pretty, but if it lets you play Smiley
after that, you can always pop each one up till your happy and the games happy...

up untill OfB and FFP, i always had the shadows and reflections turned off...maybe they upped my machines abilites with the two new packs lol.
Niliav

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006, 06:24:35 pm »

Oh...well I play too many other games to be rolling drivers up and down so I won't bother until it is fixed. Tried the game on lower settings but it bugged me to no end. Guess I'll just keep waiting. Smiley
Marn39

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 06:53:23 pm »

Silly question but is Maxis aware of the blue screen, have been to the site many times looking for an answer and have even ask the question, but as yet haven't received an answer, do you think they know how big a problem it is, and the other question is Nvidia aware that there is conflict with there video cards and the sims 2 OFB, if not how do we go about informing the right people, because if they don't know there is a problem how can they fix it
Rayea

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2006, 07:01:47 pm »

i duuno about a conflick with Nvidia cards, but if you read the Read Me, theres more known issues with the ATI cards listed than with the Nvidia...

and i think its more of a tech line not telling the head office type.

i had a problem with my copy of Black and WHite2 a couple of months ago.
i bought it, i installed it and it would never start up.
i phoned the tech line and they said....check the graphics drivers...
did that, still no game...
they said update your windows XP to SP2...did that, again, no game...
even tried patching the game each time...STILL no game....

know what it was? My damn DvD drive was too OLD >.<
i borrowed a brand new spanky LG DvDROM drive from work and 2 secconds after i have it in the machine and the dvd in the drive, Happy me, the game works. (so i paid the bos the price of the drive the next day lol...one ofthe perks of working in a PC shop)

so sometimes, the tech guys are just rattling off the standard shtick...
check the graphics driver, check the game is patched, make sure your DirX is up to date, and check the windows xp is up to date...once you get past that,they go all puzzled and have no idea a lot of the time....
jase439

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2006, 07:28:31 pm »

For what it's worth, you might have a heat problem...some computers are configured to forcibly slow the CPU to a perceptable crawl when the CPU hits critical temperature (to prevent you from damaging your system).  You may have inadequate cooling for your machine.

"Craaaazy...toys in the attic...I am craaaazy...truly gone fishing...they must have taken my marbles away..."
Niliav

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 09:07:56 am »

I was thinking that too. This tower is so blasted huge (server tower) I don't think the air is getting to it. I was planning on opening the case later and sitting my fan next to it while I play to see what that does.
Creepy Blackdove6

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 03:50:52 pm »

There is a whole thread about this on ModTheSims2.  http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=117748&c=1&page=1&pp=25  

It seems to be an NVIDIA graphics card problem.  I am having the same problem as well and I have yet to solve it.  Some people have solved it by adding more RAM.  I may go that route.

Also a personal observation...  Even though some are having this problem with the Pentium4 most of the people that I have noticed with the "Sims Blue Screen of Death" tend to have an AMD64. (I have an AMD64 3200 with a GeForce 6100)  I wonder if that is connected???
Niliav

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2006, 06:49:18 pm »

Well tried the fan thing and it blue screened anyway. Guess I'll continue to wait. Sad
Marn39

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 01:46:07 am »

Niliav, try the link that Creepy Blackdove 6 has posted, there is someuseful information on page 8, it gives you another link to NVIDIA, something about a patch to fix the problem, hope this helps, I havent tried it, as I have turned down my settings and haven't seen the blue screen for a little while, so I don't want to upset things at present, but if you are still having problems, check out the link it may help

Cheers Marn39
Marn39

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006, 07:20:02 pm »

I found this response over at the mod the sims2 site, hope this will help some people who may still be having problems, I keep checking looking for a solution to the problem

this response came from EA
(error) couldn't get the link to work so,
for some reason this link is  not taking you straight to the response, so I suggest that you visit modsim2 site and click on there link, it takes you straigth to the EA response

the link for modsims2 is

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthrea...1&page=1&pp=25

and the page you want is page 8, sorry not very good at this, but hope this will help some other simmers.

Cheers
Marn39
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 07:37:26 pm by Marn39 » Logged
jase439

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006, 09:27:20 pm »

That link is dead.  404'd!

"Craaaazy...toys in the attic...I am craaaazy...truly gone fishing...they must have taken my marbles away..."
PrincessSami83

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2006, 09:29:14 pm »

Here it is: http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=117748&c=1&page=8&pp=25
PhoeniX27J

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2006, 10:37:19 am »

Seems 2 me I'm 1 of the few not having BSOD...gethane...did u test with memtest the long option...with that I mean the heavy tests which 4 1 GB of RAM takes around 8 hours or so...?

Let's c what the diffrence is between PC's that work fine and that don't work well..

ATM I have...

Intel 2,8 Ghz with 1 MB cache (overclocked to 3 Ghz)
Asus P4P800-E deluxe 865PE chipset
Aopen 6600GT (overclocked about 10%)
Sata 160 GB Maxtor (main HDD)
and 4 other HDD so around 890 GB
2x 512MB Corsair Twinx RAM + 2x 256MB Corsair Twinx RAM
Lite on DVD 16speed
Benq 1650 DVD writer
I'm running Windos XP with SP2 up 2 date till jan 2006
I've got all the sims installed except familypack and I updated all with patches...I had only 1 problem which I fixed since it was the lot...no other problems except with all the custom dl the game slows down sometimes...So basically I am a happy simmer...

I just wanna add...adding more RAM only means delaying the initial problem of a BSOD...U c a game or program uses part of ur memory and when it reaches a bad sector u get problems like data corruption or BSOD...adding memory only gives more space 4 the game or program 2 use...untill it reaches the bad sector again...just like a HDD...u can delay the problem...but it doesn't go away...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 10:42:05 am by PhoeniX27J » Logged
Marn39

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2007, 07:58:50 pm »

I was at the TheSims2.com - Home site this morning, and posted on one of the forums was a statement that nVidia is currently looking into the blue screen. the comment was dated 1st March 07, so hopefully for people still having problems with this, is may help. I was looking for tips for pets ep; at the time.

Cheers Marn39
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: