Insimenator.org
May 06, 2024, 08:16:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can we talk graphic cards/laptops?  (Read 1317 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Laura86

View Profile WWW
« on: August 26, 2008, 08:52:41 pm »

Since my computer totally died, I'm thinking about saving for a laptop to get myself as an early birthday present. I was looking at the Studio 17 laptops and wondered if I'd need a better graphic card for it. Is buying a 1-2 gig graphic card for a laptop expensive? Is it easy to install? I'm a computer hardware idiot, so I don't have any clue how to do anything like that. I don't want to pay extra $$ to have someone do it for me if it's super easy. This is the basic 'stuff' the laptop comes with. What should I upgrade? I want to be able to play Sims easily and have good graphics and the game play not be choppy etc. Thanks so much for your help!

My Components
Jet Black
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T8100 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB/3MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
Glossy widescreen 17.0 inch display (1440x900)
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 3650
3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2
Size: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
Dell 1397 Wireless-G Card
Verizon Wireless built-in cellular mobile broadband (EVDO Rev A)
Integrated 2.0M Pixel Webcam
56 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
High Definition Audio 2.0
Standard Keyboard (included in the price)
NO FINGER PRINT READER
My Software & Accessories
McAfee Security 15-mo w/Annual Auto-Renew Fee of $79 (up to 3 addl yrs)
Microsoft Works
My Service
2Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Included 3 GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Yr
Earthlink Internet Access
Also Includes
Glossy widescreen 17.0" LCD (1440 x900) w/ 2.0M pixel Camera
Windows Vista™ Premium
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1
Staples Coupon Book

Oh, and a random question...what in the world is a fingerprint reader? LOL :smt120

Life's like a novel with the ending ripped out.
The edge of a canyon with only one way down.
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 10:10:59 pm »

The fingerprint reader is a "new" security element with laptops and such.  Basically, it's just another way for unlocking your laptop... with the scan of your fingertip.  Wink

As for graphics cards... you seem to have a pretty decent card listed already, so you shouldn't have any problems with what you have. (...in fact, I wish someone would send such a beautiful piece of machinery my way... I'd kill to have a high-flying laptop like that!  :shock:)  Although I know there have been a few issues with the HD video cards from AMD/ATI with Sims 2, mainly when it comes to the in-game TVs and computer screens showing up blank... but I believe they've already released a fix for that on the AMD/ATI website.  :angel:

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 12:22:46 am »

I'd probably go for the T5850 model at $150 less, then upgrade the processor to the 2.5Ghz/800Mhz (+$175)and the RAM to 4GB rather than 3GB (+$50) if desired.  Other than the processor (2.1Ghz/667Mhz vs 2.1Ghz/800Mhz) the T5850 and T8100 are identical hardware-wise.

With laptops, I always treat them as what I buy can't be upgraded (or it would cost more to upgrade than by a new system).  There was a time that all laptop components were propriatary, which meant you had to get parts from the dealer and rediculously high prices.  I don't know if that's still true or not.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: