Insimenator.org
May 04, 2024, 10:40:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mesh Question  (Read 1926 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
ttylo

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2008, 08:56:21 pm »

Hello:
I have searched the forums, google, and a ton of other websites and could not seem to find the answers I am looking for. So I am hoping someone here can help me.

I have recently begun to make my own clothing, and have been experimenting with different things. I think for the most part I am getting the hang of GIMP and Bodyshop, thanks to one of the great tutorials here at Insimenator.

I recently went to make an outfit, and went through tons of clothing in bodyshop looking for an outfit that would work, and I quickly realized I did not have one that would work. I read somewhere, it all becomes a blur after a while, that I could simply modify the mesh (Maxis One) by coloring white or black with the paintbrush tool depending on what I wanted to do.

I found a Maxis mesh, did my coloring, got my outfit all in place, imported it to the game and it looks great.

However it brought up a few questions for me I had not expected it too. I have not decided yet if I will be submitting these outfits for upload, but I have considered it. This is what brought about the questions I started to have.

Considering for this particular outfit I altered a Maxis Mesh, if I did decide to upload it for everyone to share would it work in other peoples games. I used a maxis mesh, and in doing so I just altered the mesh with GIMP. I did not go into the whole complicated Milkshape, UVMaps, this and that stuff I have been reading in some of the meshing tutorials.

When I export it from bodyshop it is of course a bmp file, when I import it, it becomes a package does the 'modified' maxis mesh become part of the package as well?

Would I have to zip file the project folder and submit it to make sure that it would work for anyone else if I upload it?

Or would the package file, containing the outfit, suffice?

Its confusing, I did not think altering a maxis mesh would bring up such questions for me, but seeing I have been considering uploading my creations this has come up as a potential issue and I would be greatful if someone knew the answer or where to find the answer. Because right now, if I submitted it, I don't know if it would work in someone elses game even though it works fine in mine.

I am sorry I do tend to get long winded, thank you in advance.

TTylo
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 08:16:26 am »

Its a bit diffrent then you have it in mind,

If you decide to recolor(texture) a maxis outfit by editing the bmp's you do not edit the mesh itself, you only edit the textures.

The mesh is the shape of the outfit you see in bodyshop, can be a pants/skirt/blouse/nude, as fullbody(body) or seperates(top and bottom).
This mesh is very well hidden and will not be included in a recolor.
However, every mesh has a uvmap, wich is the shape folded out on a map.
This uvmap corresponds with you bmp files and by texturing those you give the shape color.

In your case you have nothing to do with the mesh but,
if you ever upload a recolor it is wise to include some info on wat Maxis mesh(shape) your recolor is based on because if its based on one from a EP people will need that EP also for the outfit to show up.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 08:25:20 am by BlooM » Logged

No longer active
ttylo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 12:17:12 pm »

Hello: Thank you, for responding and explaining it out. Still very new to all of this so its nice to have a clearer picture. I appreciate the help greatly and that definately answers my questions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: