Insimenator.org
May 04, 2024, 05:52:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Face replcements not working  (Read 2403 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
SIMone de beauvoir

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2008, 08:41:16 pm »

Hello!

I downloaded CAS Face Template Replacements, ny Oepu and some other creators, and then I tried to install them.

First, I dropped them in my Downloads folder and they didn't work.

So, I deleted the thumbnails files and the cigen package and then the groups cache... And they still didn't work.

Then, I put them in my saved sims folder, since I read somewhere that it could maybe work then, but it didn't work either...

Anything else I can try?

I would REEEEALLY like to change my CAS face templates, because Maxis are too too fugly.

Thank you, very very much.
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:34:21 pm »

The replacement templates go  into your Downloads folder  - it can be a big help to create a new folder inside of Downloads and name it Faces (or whatever you like) and keep them all in that folder.

A couple of immutable things first:

1) Replacement face templates always override the game-standard face templates.

2) There is a limit to the number of templates the game can show (and handle) to choose from in Create-A-Sim or in Bodyshop.

You mention that you have tried to install many replacements from a variety of creators.

As any replacements automatically override Maxis defaults, if you have several sets of replacements in Downloads, they can well also be trying to override one another, which can glork the whole process.

Choose one and only one creator's set you like and put just that set into  your Faces file in Downloads - then delete the thumbnails and the cigen and the groups files (if they exist) and start up the game and check if the new templates from that set only show up when you go to create a new Sim.

Then you can try adding additional files into your Faces file in Downloads, deleting the thumbnails and cigen files again, and going in-game again until you get evidence of a conflict, and then exit and remove the offending file to get back to normality.

But, even with many multiple files which do not conflict, you will still only be offered the fixed upper limit of choices of templates for any individual created Sim (can't recall the precise number, but I think it is about two dozen - whether that upper limit number has changed in EPs later than mine I cannot say).
SIMone de beauvoir

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:30:33 am »

Mmmm... I don't think I explained myself right, then.

I tried all that. Making a folder, not making a folder... etc.

I tried changing only one face: the heartface by Oepu, and it didn't work.
I tried other sets, just one set complete by only one creator, and didn't work either.

My intention was to choose the best 27 (that's the number) faces for my game, from all the different sets created by different people. Off course I was not trying to install several complete sets!

But all of my faces just look the same... I don't know why. There's got to be something else I'm missing, I don't know.

But, thanks anyway.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 07:36:10 am »

Are you just looking at the controls to make/change a sim's face, or have you tried to actually make a sim and the face is an EA face?  Last I heard the images on the controls cannot be changed, even though what is placed on the sim is changed.
SIMone de beauvoir

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 08:14:28 am »

What do you mean with "the controls"??
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 08:18:56 am »

When you open up BS or CAS, you can click on one of the icons that takes you to the pages to select face types and modify them.  That's what I meant.  Those images will not change.  You have to apply them to a sim in order to see what you have for a replacement.
SIMone de beauvoir

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 01:14:47 pm »

I got it solved.

Don't ask me how I came up with this, or why it worked... It's just that when you have a problem with your PC you try everything... what's logical, and what isn't. What seems to have sense and what doesn't. And you get creative and invent solutions... he he he.

Well... here's what I did. I put all of my downloads in a different part of my HD. I deleted the Downloads folder. I created a new folder, and renamed it Downloads. I put all of my downloads in it. Including the infamous "Face Replacements" folder. I cleaned up all the garbage, meaning: groups cache, accesories cache, cigen package, and thumnails.

I started the game. And bam! There they were... my face replacements!!! And let me tell you that those pictures you said that wouldn't change, well, they did, they do change. If you delete the thumbnails, they change. You need to periodically clean all the "garbarge" in your EA's Sims 2 folder if you're a downloadholic like me, for all your custom content to show up right in your game.

Cool. Now, the problem is that I hated some of them as much I hate Maxis' ones. What I need is a picture of all the faces in CAS numbered, so I can actually recognize which one is which one, and be able to choose from different sets the ones I want. The only one I have identified is the heart face.

So, if anyone knows where I cna find one... thank you!

Thank you all for trying!

I looooove this forum.
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 04:26:26 pm »

Don't know whether this will help or not, but what I use are a mix 'n' match assortment of some files from here:

http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=75472

and here:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=106077

Both places show shots of the various choices pretty clearly labeled, so that it is easier to delineate which ones you may want to use in the game and which ones to jettison.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: