Insimenator.org
May 04, 2024, 04:48:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Download scan?  (Read 1573 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
DragonBrighteye

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2008, 10:45:38 am »

I’m having some pretty major problems with my game. So, I could really do with some help if anyone is willing and able to help me.

The basic problem I’m having is that once the game is loaded up and I’m all ready to go if I give it an instruction eg. Make a family. First it takes a jolly long time to do it. I don’t just mean it takes a few minuets, I mean keep a book handy because you are going to be sitting there waiting for a long time. Actually building a family is easy but when I am done and want to go back to the main screen to move my new family in. the came crashes and kicks me out. This happens every time I want to do anything. Place a house, it crashes. Move a family in to a house, it crashes. Change the family I’m playing, it crashes. Go downtown to do some shopping, it crashes.
This is no way to play a game.

Other games on my computer work fine.
And I have scanned and defragmented the thing to within an inch of its life and I still have a good 66% of memory free.

I do have a lot of downloads though which has brought me to the conclusion that it is likely to be one of them that is the problem. But the catch 22 is that I really don’t want to delete them.

So I’m hoping that someone here will know of a scanner or something that I can download that will search through my downloads and find the offending itam (or whatever) and kick it out for me so that I can continue to enjoy The Sims 2 the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

So, can anyone help me?

Please.
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 03:32:33 pm »

There is no scanner which will do that for you. It happens to all of us, and can take some time to find the culprit and fix things up.

First thing to do is to open the My Documents--EA Games--The Sims 2 folder.

Inside that folder, look for files named:

groups.cache
accessory.cache
cigen.package
Content Registry

Delete those (don't worry - the game will auto-create fresh new ones when you run it).

Not all those files may be there. Again, don't worry - just delete the ones in that list which are there.

Then launch the game and see if the problem has resolved.

If not, the problem almost surely lies in a custom content file.

In that case, if you don't already have it, download and install Clean Installer:

http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/index.php?page=1

Run Clean Installer and let it scan your Downloads file and finish generating the list of files.

Then click the MD5 tab in Clean Installer - this will group files so you can find duplicates more easily.

As you scroll down the list, look for items highlighted in pink - those are duplicates. Remove them all but one from each group.

Then click the Type tab in Clean Installer, and scroll down the type column to the 'E' section, and see if there are any files listed as "Empty Package.' Delete any listed as Empty Package.

Note: Clean Installer also highlights any hacks in red. This is not a danger sign, just a highlighting. Don't delete the red items, unless you don't want the hacks. Custom lots, especially, can come with included hacks which you may not want or which may be incompatible with your version of the game.

Be aware that if you Remove a file using Clean Installer - it is gone - there is no Undo to get it back.

Close Clean Installer and launch the game to see if the problem has resolved.

If not, then you'll have to use more time-intensive methods to winnow down to the culprit and jettison it.

First, open your Downloads folder and sort the files in it by size. Look for a file   named b18484e15a91c5a039d61f635d15d7c3.package that is also 6 MB or larger. See if you have multiples of that file - they will be the same long string of letters and numbers, but also with a _001, _002, etc. at the end of each copy (for example, b18484e15a91c5a039d61f635d15d7c3_001.package). Delete all but the original for now.

Launch the game and see if the problem is resolved.

If it is not, then follow the steps here:

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Finding_Problem_Custom_Content

The tried and true, but time consuming, 50% method is the best way to narrow things down.

Remember, when testing with items temporarily moved out of the Downloads folder for testing purposes, to not Save the game but just Quit the game.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 03:35:57 pm by rwills » Logged
DragonBrighteye

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 07:33:58 am »

Thanks. I'll try doing those things.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: