Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 06:07:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Sim 3 Bodyshapes  (Read 37830 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Mickey57

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 07:25:50 pm »

I tend to agree with what you said, but I wonder if they will change their position when they see what it does for sales.  I suspect the original game will be very popular, but then it will dwindle off if people can't use custom content as we have.  I know I mostly like to build and create little story lines for myself with the game, if I can't have what I want, I would just as soon stick with the Sims 2 and not give them any more money!  I think a lot of others feel that way too and I think it will cost them to the point where it will either have to be more creator friendly or they will end the series. 

:worship:Big Daddy still got it goin' on!:worship:
amberfaye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 07:49:55 pm »

I guess Im an odd ball out. Ive been playing sims for several years also... since I was... 19, maybe? And when sims 2 came out, I got it and played the vanilla version for a while, then slowly started accumulating CC and mods, hacks, careers, skins and clothes... stuff, ya know.
I never have downloaded any custom body meshes... so Im fine with the sliders. Im not registering my game, and I will just play between vanilla 3 and built up 2 until people EVENTUALLY get thru the code. Have faith in the sims modders.... It may take some time but I thihnk it will be worth it.
If you dont wanna buy it untill then, thats your thing. I however will be getting it on release day.

ma.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 08:46:58 pm »

I guess Im an odd ball out. Ive been playing sims for several years also... since I was... 19, maybe? And when sims 2 came out, I got it and played the vanilla version for a while, then slowly started accumulating CC and mods, hacks, careers, skins and clothes... stuff, ya know.
I never have downloaded any custom body meshes... so Im fine with the sliders. Im not registering my game, and I will just play between vanilla 3 and built up 2 until people EVENTUALLY get thru the code. Have faith in the sims modders.... It may take some time but I thihnk it will be worth it.
If you dont wanna buy it untill then, thats your thing. I however will be getting it on release day.

I'm the same. I use CC, but I do not use any custom body meshes. I just don't like how freakish a lot of them look. So at the moment, I really don't mind the lack of custom bodies. I'm just loving that you can actually get pretty sims with the base game.

Post Merge: May 08, 2009, 05:25:10 pm - Please remember to modify your post and not reply to yourself
I also hate to double-post but I have some news on the 2-or-2-Sliders debate.

I bought the "The Sims 3: An Introduction" PC CD-ROM from Target and watched the Designer Walkthrough and they were showing two sliders: weight and fitness.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 05:25:10 pm by ma. » Logged

kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 09:08:24 pm »

And your really think you're going to get any real variety in body type with 2 sliders? Sports games and the Smackdown Vs. Raw series of wrestling games allow you totally alter the morphing and build of the game model. Hell, EA Sports has had some of the best creation tools in the business, namely with the FIFA, Madden, NBA Live and Fight Night franchises of games. Tell me why they can't seem to get passed 2 sliders for a game that's supposedly supposed to be about "Simulated Life". Last I checked no 2 people had the same build. Like I said before, the only thing TS3 has going for it is a color wheel. That's not a good sign IMO. But if you can find happiness in the game with only two body sliders, more power to you. Me personally, I need more...and TS3 is woefully lacking in the areas that would make me buy the game.

ma.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2009, 09:35:52 pm »

That is your opinion.

I myself haven't really been the hardcore TS2 gamer; I've recently started playing almost-nonstop a couple months ago and I don't have a lot of cc, mostly just hacks and hacked objects.

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2009, 08:02:31 am »

If they are going to insist on calling it a family game, ala. Walt Disney, will it still have an M classification?
I think the original game, the ist in the sims 1 series where the couple embraced and then disappeared into a pink heart shaped cloud followed shortly by the storks arrival is what one could term as a family game.
It got progressively raunchy as it matured from sims 1 to 2 now you have grunts and squeals of delight accompanied by heaving bed covers, hardly what I would term a family game?
There is an awful lot of teen and family targeted media available now and I don't recall any of it having an M classification, PG., yes.
I am talking about Australia, I don't know how the game is classified in the rest of the world.
ma.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2009, 08:34:06 am »

Here in the US, it'll be Rated T for Crude Humour, Sexual Themes, and Violence so it isn't exactly family friendly, just teen friendly.

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2009, 07:24:19 pm »

This Teen rating is somewhat ambiguous because that covers the age group 13 to 19. Here in Australia at 18 you are classed as an adult and in many countries at that age you are old enough to kill. The sims 1 shipped with a T. rating accompanied by M. 15+. That changed with sims 2 to just M.
The whole teen thing can be very confusing if not complex because in many countries the 13 to 16 age is still classified as child/juvenile, so that in effect puts the 15 into the child category.
The T. rating is a recommendation by the developer in order to sell the product to as varied an age group as possible. It then is classified by individual governments as either PG. M or MA.
This family thing is also debatable. What kind of family? with children? with adults still living with their parents?
To my understanding this family thing they're implying should mean absolutely no sex, no violence, no bad language and no sexy outfits, but then most of these games won't sell, will they?
Zggs
T.M. Riddle supporter

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2009, 09:43:13 pm »

I was a hardcore TS2 gamer but even with all the CC and stuff it started losing some its luster because I couldn't personalize their personalities and such.  Besides I want to possibly work in video game development and I think I can learn things from TS3.  I'm willing to give it a try.  It's possible they start adding things a little later on just like the EPs for TS2.

*Ahem*
Yes I'm obsessed with Harry Potter.
No I don't care what you think.
Magicflute

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2009, 12:23:35 am »

I was a hardcore TS2 gamer but even with all the CC and stuff it started losing some its luster because I couldn't personalize their personalities and such.  Besides I want to possibly work in video game development and I think I can learn things from TS3.  I'm willing to give it a try.  It's possible they start adding things a little later on just like the EPs for TS2.

Exactly. I am fully aware that we will be back-tracking in some aspects from 2 to 3, but we'll also be moving forward in others! Sure, the sims in 3 aren't even close to being as beautiful as mine are currently in 2, but if I can create people that actually act like I had imagined and I can just sit back and watch them, I think this game will have a pretty darn good foundation to build on. Sure, I love CC as much as the next guy, but I'm also willing to take a chance that the new game will have good qualities too. And if it does happen to suck, then 2 will still be there. There's no harm in that.

SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2009, 02:04:24 am »

I agree Magicflute I think what everyone is mis-regarding is the fact that come June 2, 2009 when you get your shiny new copy of the game and pop it in and go "ew.. wtf" its probably because we are very spoiled by some of the amazing CC and mod creators out there that we can't bear to see another maxis sim and I understand that, I do but everyone must think back to the early years of TS2 release..I know you guys remember how screwed up the base game sims looked! lol and if you need a refresh to the brain,maybe you should take out all your downloads and play a base-game sim or two but I think like others have stated that TS3 has the potential to be a great game, we must all give it time but I believe TS3 will eventually be a nice game like TS2 is today. In regards to CC, sure I think people will eventually start making some nice free content maybe sooner than what we would think, because we all have more knowledge regarding cc now than we did when TS2 first came out so here's my quote

"Good things come, to those whom wait" Wink
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2009, 04:36:23 am »

I can well remember the release of sims 2, and to me they were fantastic, sure the hair and clothes were crappy until the CC. started hitting the sites, as for the hacks and mods I could see the possibilities there, sure they took a couple of years but there were no obstacles placed there by EA.
I can also see the modding and hacking potential in the sims3. But unlike the previous releases where EA. has more or less said "here is the game make it yours, the tools are out there do what you will with it" The reason I am so anti sims 3 is that EA. has put every obstacle they can think of into the game so as to make it near on impossible to mod/hack, and secondly they intend to turn the whole sims 3 thing into some quasi pay site.
Mickey57

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2009, 05:53:17 am »

Believe it or not, I am inclined to believe most of what I have heard on both sides of the issue.  However, I am still more against the new game than for it.  For me, custom content defines the game.  And at this time, there is not really much to get excited over except the body sliders which are still limited in what they let us create and the fact that sims can wander around more freely.  I also have no desire to lay out more cash on custom content, when you are paying 50-70 per game/expansion and then pay 20 per add on package, now they want to charge for content too, it's just too much and not worth the effort.  My take is simple, I will wait and watch the sites and see what develops.  I don't think that EA Games knows how much the hundreds of functional custom content sites does for them and I think they will suffer when these sites start to close and the custom content well dries up.  People will quickly lose interest when all of their sims look like boxy little creatures wearing the same five outfits in a myriad of colors and the same three chairs in a variety of colors and all driving the same three cars.  I am confident that people will find ways to bypass their software and will develop something outside the EA Games perimeters to allow us to get content into the game, but I think that will take time.  When they set up the new game as they have, it's not worth the effort to me and I just don't want to pay more to get less.   So, I will still wait and see!

:worship:Big Daddy still got it goin' on!:worship:
kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2009, 01:19:52 pm »

This thread's kinda gone off the rail some, lol. I'll take the blame partially for that, and try to veer it back on course if even just a little by talking about the subject line more, Bodyshapes. Now It's been confirmed as Pescado said MONTHS ago that there are only 2, count em 2 sliders for body. Size, and Fitness. Which admitted doesn't offer much. You could make a well built sim, yes. But will he have the detail of Marvine & BBB's Bodybuilder meshes? Not even close. He'll just look like a bulked up version of the default maxis mesh. Add to that the same drab, plastic looking skin and compared to what we have on TS2, it looks like crap. SimGirl pointed it out perfectly the fact that as simmers, we've grown accustomed to the incredible stuff we now have 6 years later from when the base Sims 2 game was released. In TS3, it's bare bones once again, so for many people (myself included) it's taking a HUGE step backwards even with all of the other advances the game has. This proves the age old point that gameplay isn't the only aspect to a game that sells. It has to be visually appealing. It has to catch the consumers eye. At best the graphics of TS3 personally reminds me of those old Claymation shows. That ain't good. And that could be remedied with imported content. Meshes, skins, all of the stuff we have on TS2. But there's not even been so much as a mention of TS3 having Bodyshop or some form of equivalent to it. THAT concerns me, as well as tells me without a doubt that EA most likely plans to stranglehold the CC market for TS3 to ensure they have sovereignty over it. That's the part that doesn't sit well with me. The fact that in the two past titles they had a hands off approach to CC, where as now all of a sudden they want to not only cash in on it, but make it so that only they and those "affiliated" with them can as well. The game's less then a month away, and just about all the details for the game have already been revealed, so if no word of a Bodyshop has been mentioned in those details, I doubt it exists. Of course that's just my own speculation, and when it does come out people will obviously confirm if it's true or not. But in the end, going back to the initial point of the topic, the bodyshapes, much like CC in general is looking a little lackadaisical in my opinion. I'm trying to soften up to the game, I really am. I'm trying to see the good it has as well as the bad. But it's like sitting an a beautifully painted room with expensive furniture...and smoldering turd smack in the middle of the floor. No matter how good it looks, something still stinks.

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2009, 12:29:41 am »

These discussions on the sims 3 have almost run their full course. All will be revealed next month. Will the game mean the death of sims 2 or will it turn into a flop?
Will we Have Thomas and his motley crew crying "step right up folks plenty of CC. here" ?
Will EA. release a patch to enable CC. import and modding as per sims 2 if sales start to tumble?
How long will those who have been so used to customising their previous game tolerate a squeaky clean vanilla game?
We're gonna find all this out very shortly.
One thing is certain, all these new traits, bells and whistles etc. will rapidly loose their novelty if we are forced to play them with the fugly characters depicted in their previews.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: