Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 12:48:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it mine or not? A question for the Sims 2 community.  (Read 3840 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
jazcmx

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2009, 07:45:43 pm »

Got a question for all the simmers out there.

A year or so ago a one time friend created something just for me. It was a gift from them to me. So, doesn't it make the item mine to do with as I wish? Now-a-days, I really don't know where me and this guy stands. We had a bit of falling out, but still, he gave me this item. It's mine right?

Even today the guy still uploads this item and calls it his. However, the name on the item refers to something that I created. That in itself makes the item mine, right?

Before I go and do something rash, I need to know what simmers think about all of this. In my way of thinking if someone gives you something it's yours. They have no right to be telling you what you can do with it.

What do you think?

BOW BEFORE THE LORD OF THE EVIL SIMS
Feisty32
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:56:13 pm »

jazcmx if your friend created it then yes it is his creators will usually say you can recolor or not it but if he created the item then like i said before it is his.therefore he can upload it anywhere if he's the creator of the item. Grin
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 08:03:20 pm by Feisty32 » Logged
Skye
Creator

Sims Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:10:22 pm »

Yes, if this friend created this item for you it is his/hers. However, if you have an item that you created for it, then you should get credit for your part in it.

No self-respecting simmer puts up their creation without a full credit and link to each creator whose invention is included with the creation.  Otherwise it is known as 'uncool' This person needs to acknowledge your part in it. You also have to acknowledge his/her part in the creation if you show it to others.

Rock
Skye

I don't have net  so can't do  requests right now. so sorry
Feisty32
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 08:25:49 pm »

well said skye. Grin
jazcmx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 10:35:12 pm »

I get what you all are saying, but I don't think you all understand the question...

He created an item for the sims 2 and gave that item to me. Does that make the item mine?

In other words, I'll put it like this. He gave me a gift. Then he goes around and tells everyone the gift he gave me is his, even though he gave it to me.

And I agree with you on the part were he should atleast acknowledge that I gave him the inspiration for the creation in the first place.

I'm not trying to get everyone to tell me what I want to hear, even though that would be great. I just need everyone to be on the same page and understand where I'm coming from. If I get an anwer I don't like, I'll respect it and do nothing. Simple.

Feisty32
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 11:06:15 pm »

i do understand your question jazcmx the fact is he created it if your gonna recolor or modify the item given to you as a gift ask him before you do so it is only fair and considerate and if he created it on his computer then it definately is his even though it was a gift to you if you want acknowledgement then ask him for acknowledgement.he has every right to say it is his also.

and no offense jazcmx is something this petty really worth ruining a friendship over? Sad

please don't get mad or offended at me please just trying to help ya here. Sad Undecided
Squinge
Spamming Dork
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 11:11:16 pm »

I get what you all are saying, but I don't think you all understand the question...

He created an item for the sims 2 and gave that item to me. Does that make the item mine?

If he made it then it is his weather or not he gave it to you. For example I do requests for people but it is still my work Smiley

If you have a question about my mods post it here
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 01:23:50 am »

I have to go with Squinge on this one, considering he's been so very kind to make a couple of things for me, which I haven't shared because I don't have his permission. If he decides to share them with anyone else, I can't gripe because he is the one that made it in the first place. *hugs the pookins*

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 01:32:50 am »

I understand what you're saying, but I have to agree with everyone else on this. If he made it, than whether or not he gave it to you as a gift, it's still his creation to do with as he sees fit. Perhaps it would have been nice, falling out or not, if he gave you a heads up about what he wanted to do, especially if he made this with the intent that it was for you and only you.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 08:26:58 am »

There have been times when I've created something specifically for one person.  I chose not to make it available for others and told this person so.  If she wished to share that would be up to her, but credit for creating it should still be given to me.  But that was my choice.  A creator can make their creations available for download as he or she sees fit.

As far as "ownership", in my opinion, there is no such thing on anything that's been made available for download.  The closest thing to it is a creator "owning" the responsibility for updating a creation, but even that is a blurred responsibility in some cases.

You received a gift that you probably had exclusive use of for a time being. Be thankful for that.
jazcmx

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 12:17:18 pm »

Well, I have to admit, these are not the anwers I was looking for but they are honest anwers and I will respect them. I will do nothing with the item in question and let things drop on the issue.

But on a side note, it would be great if the guy would give me a little credit for the creation, ya'know? But, as you all said, it's his creation. he can do what he wants with it. Even take full credit.

Shame though. My new uploads would have been great with that item included. But no matter. I'm not going to let this ruin my day. If he wants to have all the praise for something I helped him with, even if just a little, then more power to him.

Thanks again for responding, ladies and gents. I really do appreciate it. You all have a wonderful day.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: