Insimenator.org
April 28, 2024, 08:12:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Question for the Site community  (Read 10016 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
kaykeyser

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:48:48 am »

I was looking at requests. some of mine, some belonging to  other people and I came upon a lot that gone a long time with out any one doing them.  theres a super cool request up from  August 04, 2008! and it ticked me off that some one had to wait such a long time, and they are STILL waiting!  requests come here to be ignored. dreams come here to die. no one cares about the people who don't have mesh making programs. 
And I want to know a few things

how many people even use this web site ?
how offten?
and of those who use it how many have meshing skills?
and of those with skills how many have time?
what kinds of projects motivate you?
what would help a request have better odds of getting attention? 
how long does it take to make a new mesh?
what ideas are simply too complex to use?
can 3D objects created for non-sims2 reasons (like other games and artwork)  be  converted in to sims2 objects? 
can sims1 or sims city 4 meshes be turned in to sims2 objects?
is there any thing at all that can motivate some one to make requests sooner? faster? and for the people who have good ideas?
why don't people bother to respond to topics even if its a rejection comment? 
who are the most willing request takers?
can you give me any tips that would make me feel like its actuly worth it to keep posting requests?

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 02:23:25 am »

It's simple. People do requests on a voluntary basis.  People will volunteer to fulfill requests when it is within their skill set, they have time, and they feel benevolent.  People that make requests aren't always realistic in the requests they make because they aren't knowledgeable on what limitations the game places on creators.

That being said, it's not difficult at all to do recolors.  Just find the mesh you want to work with and give it a shot.  Or load up Homecrafter and recolor some floors and walls to your tastes rather than the often offbeat and ugly EA options.

Modding and meshing are more difficult. Both require patience and perseverance.  But if you enjoy it and have the talent for either of those, you can be a great asset to the community.
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 11:42:35 am »

I've said it before, and I will say it again: People do projects based on if they have time, if they think it's interesting and if they feel like it. There are other considerations, as well, such as will an item need modding to be able to function? Will they have to learn how to do the modding or will it be something they can already handle? Will they be allowed to work on said object in peace, or will they have to put up with someone trying to light a fire under their rear end in order to get them to complete it now, now, NOW?!

I know creators that no longer take requests for items because of all the abuse they've  have to put up with when they agree to do something. The constant emails, PMs, posts, etc. pestering them about the progress of said object. They get burned out by the few that are inconsiderate and rude, plain and simple. It's a hobby for them and not something they're going to put up with being hassled over, which is why they won't take requests any more.

If you can learn how to do the meshing and recolouring when no one will do your requests, that can be a boon to you and the community if you decide to share your stuff. Getting angry because things don't get done when you want them doesn't help your cause, it only keeps people from wishing to aid you in obtaining the content you want. Like it's been said before, it's a hobby. People do it to relax. If pressure from other people to produce things make it cease to be relaxing and enjoyable, they just won't do it any more and that's a loss.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 11:48:52 am »

Well ancient has pretty much said it all in a nutshell. I remember responding to a couple of your WCIF requests and, if you're looking for honesty, "I'm entitled" attitude can put people off. We offer the requests and WCIF sections as a courtesty, not because you are owed them, and those people who try to help out deserved courtesy and thanks for spending their free time hunting down or making objects for people. If you find your requests are going unanswered while others are being fullfilled, then perhaps it's time for you to change your approach.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
kaykeyser

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 12:01:32 pm »

what Im trying to find out is

what kind of requests are  realistic i?

what are limitations the game places on creators?

what kinds of requests would make a request sound interesting to the creator? 

Also while its true that a creator's feelings are important, the feelings of the requester are important too.  I use my sims to tell stories and I want the best possible porops, cloths, and objects for my sims.  Body shop only takes me so far.
When I make a story or a family and I find my self needing a submarine or a large Alien riding animal or a certin kind of hat or hair mesh, I would realy like that thing made in week maybe 2, if it took sevral months or over a year to amke a mesh I would wounder what was taking so long.
if a Mesh was unmake I would want to know why.

So thats why Im also trying to learn what are the realistic exspectaions of a mesh?

would it be easier for me to say "make me a cube? or clone an item and change its catigory and use?" or do mesh creators enjoy making things with legs and arms and a face and moving parts? 

also this thread is about my requests being unanswered while NO ONES  are being fulfilled.

its not just my requests, every request I have looked at becouse "OMG thats so cool I want it too!" has also gone ignored.

and I want to know if your anti-sci-fi and only do realistic objects or if sci-fi meshes are too complex to make or if artists  don't read a request after its more then 30 days old or what now? 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:06:48 pm by kaykeyser » Logged
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 12:25:57 pm »

If you need that much content in that short of a time, you'd be best off finding some tutorials and a meshing program and making it yourself. People have jobs and lives that need to be taken care of before any hobby stuff. We don't ignore requests on principal, sometimes they don't get taken care of because it's not something a creator feels like taking on. We don't even have to have that section at all, it's there as a courtesy. Same with the WCIF section.

Just keep this in mind: when people keep seeing the same names asking for stuff they tend to skip it because they get burned out. There are people that will search the net high and low to find what they're needing and use this site's WCIF as a last ditch effort to get that hard to find item. Often, they are rewarded with someone being able to help. Then again, there are people that come here first off and don't bother trying to search for themselves, because our users are so very wonderful at finding that exact thing they're craving for their game. Or, you have the people that come here demanding that something be produced, no matter what the people lending a hand have to stop doing in order to find or fabricate it. Which one of these types are you?

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
Feisty32
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 12:38:53 pm »

and the great and all powerful paden and caffeinatedjoy have truly spoken. Grin
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 01:42:08 pm »

Also while its true that a creator's feelings are important, the feelings of the requester are important too. 

Valid point for a caring community.

also this thread is about my requests being unanswered while NO ONES  are being fulfilled.

its not just my requests, every request I have looked at becouse "OMG thats so cool I want it too!" has also gone ignored.

and I want to know if your anti-sci-fi and only do realistic objects or if sci-fi meshes are too complex to make or if artists  don't read a request after its more then 30 days old or what now? 

Some of your questions can be answered by pouring through faq and reading the how-to sections.  That is not a rude response, just a matter of fact. 
These:

So thats why Im also trying to learn what are the realistic exspectaions of a mesh?

would it be easier for me to say "make me a cube? or clone an item and change its catigory and use?" or do mesh creators enjoy making things with legs and arms and a face and moving parts? 

...fall into that category.  There are no short pat answers to those queries the best response is read the threads.  That isn't the most popular answer but if you really want to understand for yourself it is the most honest one.

As a newbie myself I sympathize with some of the frustration you may feel—check out the requests...my name is among them several times.
Some requests show that people haven't read the FAQ's and frankly questions that have been answered ad nauseum don't gain a lot of attention. That's understandable as clearly someone dedicated their free time to making up that handy list.  It is there because someone cared to help.

When I make a story or a family and I find my self needing a submarine or a large Alien riding animal or a certin kind of hat or hair mesh, I would realy like that thing made in week maybe 2, if it took sevral months or over a year to amke a mesh I would wounder what was taking so long.
if a Mesh was unmake I would want to know why.

That might seem reasonable to you but rl comes first.  I can't say it better then Paden, Joy or others have answered you already on this. This is a sharing community not a demand & supply one.  You can't say "Hey could you do me a favor?" &  Whoa, what's the deal it should be done already!"  If it were me helping or modding for you and you said that, I'd tell you I have a life if I bothered to answer you at all.  It is that type of entitlement feel that some requestors have that lead creators to stop taking mod requests.

It's also good to bear in mind that questions stay even though requesters have moved on after finding the answer or a satisfactory replacement.  I came back and updated a few of my questions after I found the answers (to help others) or when I received a response no matter how long it took. That's my small contribution to the community. Every requester doesn't do that.  So in reality you have no idea how many requests were/weren't satisfied because not everyone says thanks or edits with status updates.

I still have requests put in months ago that I check back for but while I'm excited to have them I recognize and respect the time and lives of the creators; and as I wait I read and learn for myself. I think it's great you asked these questions because many are curious to know but dont have the guts to ask.  I hope you appreciate and respect the honest answers given. 

I’m going to go hug a kitten now Angel
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:47:43 pm by DaSpecial1 » Logged

Sims by Dasi:

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 01:47:42 pm »

One thing to consider, if custom content can't be made in the time frame you need, is to start thinking out of the box.  "Greenscreen" your characters and put them on a pirate ship standing next to Jack Sparrow through the magic of Photoshop.  Use screen caps from other games that have the things you want.  There's no rule that says a Sims story has to be only Sims.  If you have to limit yourself to Sims in-game pictures, then find out what is available before you start the story and create your story that makes use of what's available.
kaykeyser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 02:02:07 pm »

One thing to consider, if custom content can't be made in the time frame you need, is to start thinking out of the box.  "Greenscreen" your characters and put them on a pirate ship standing next to Jack Sparrow through the magic of Photoshop.  Use screen caps from other games that have the things you want.  There's no rule that says a Sims story has to be only Sims.  If you have to limit yourself to Sims in-game pictures, then find out what is available before you start the story and create your story that makes use of what's available.

thats actually a good idea and a useful one. I just feel so dishonest photoshopping my sims. 

but my topic is better sumerised as

if your a creator tell me what is easy and hard for you personally to do so I can think of a way to make my requests more fun for you personally as an individual. 

I can read FAQs but I don't know if they'll have personal Opinions.

like if I made meshes I would only do star wars, star trek, anime, sci0fi, dragons, mythology, fantasy stuff like that.  I wouldn't take requests to do sports or popular rock stars or any thing I don't know.  and I wouldn't take requests to do t-shirt recolors. 

I want to know the names of creators who were kids in the 80s and are huge sci-fi geaks and who are Otaku for anime.
I don't think some one who thinks Sci-fi sucks and who knows nothing about it would have fun  doing some kind of Sci-fi item  and Im worried that my requests might be for things that the comunity has no interest in doing. 

what kind of threads would help me find out what each individual person is interested in so I can ask for things people enjoy and not ask for things people hate?

Feisty32
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 02:14:35 pm »

i think everybody has just nailed it and they are also right.it's not that they hate them real life and family comes first  the creators world and also ours do not make the sims2 the center of our lives real life and family comes first above anything else. Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 02:22:53 pm by Feisty32 » Logged
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 02:18:29 pm »

if your a creator tell me what is easy and hard for you personally to do so I can think of a way to make my requests more fun for you personally as an individual.

There are so many creators out there with so many different levels of experience, the answer to that question could fill up pages. Even if you have no interest in making your own CC, read the tutorials out there, because that will give you a good idea of how the game works and what is possible and what isn't. It will also give you a good idea of what takes more work and what's just a simple alteration. 

True, but FAQs and tutorials will give you valuable instruction you can use. And everyone who writes an FAQ will inject a bit of personal opinion. Smiley

]like if I made meshes I would only do star wars, star trek, anime, sci0fi, dragons, mythology, fantasy stuff like that.  I wouldn't take requests to do sports or popular rock stars or any thing I don't know.  and I wouldn't take requests to do t-shirt recolors.

And, therefore, you would overlook the requests that didn't interest you, no matter how much someone tried to make it an entincing project for everyone, right? So that answers questions number one. You can't make it more entincing for everyone.  

I want to know the names of creators who were kids in the 80s and are huge sci-fi geaks and who are Otaku for anime.
I don't think some one who thinks Sci-fi sucks and who knows nothing about it would have fun  doing some kind of Sci-fi item  and Im worried that my requests might be for things that the comunity has no interest in doing.

Again, the list is long. This page is your friend. There is literally so much sci-fi/fantasy cc out there it's unreal. 

what kind of threads would help me find out what each individual person is interested in so I can ask for things people enjoy and not ask for things people hate?

This is basically the same thing as question one, just worded differently.

[/quote]

Sierra

Don't mind me... I'm just lurking

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 02:22:51 pm »

I just feel so dishonest photoshopping my sims. 

but my topic is better sumerised as

like if I made meshes I would only do star wars, star trek, anime, sci0fi, dragons, mythology, fantasy stuff like that.  I wouldn't take requests to do sports or popular rock stars or any thing I don't know.  and I wouldn't take requests to do t-shirt recolors. 

Just because your request might leave unanswered, doesn't mean there isn't scifi lovers in this forum. I personally am a Trekkie and I love Star Wars, always have. At one point I requested hair for Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon too, if I remember correctly. When no one came to the rescue - so to speak - I didn't get annoyed or made demands... I learned to do them myself.

There's nothing dishonest in photoshopping and what comes to the threads... demands are never good, as the others already stated. I saw your new hair request thread and it's was fine until this:

"Any how since Im running an other request unanswered I would like to at least know when people read this thread and if they intend to do it or not. I don't like waiting with out knowing."

That's one form of demand. You should have just ended with that thank you and not demand.  Undecided

Feisty32
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 02:30:18 pm »

thank you sierra you made a good and valid point. Grin
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 02:32:57 pm »

Let me tell you a story.

When the wing accessories first came a few years ago, the only ones you could get were open, as if in flight. I looked for a pair that were folded so I could switch between the two for picture purposes. When I didn't find them, I posted a request on a few different boards for them. After a month my requests had been replied with people seconding and thirding the need for folded wings, but it took almost a year for the first folded wing accessory to make it's appearance, and oh, was I ever happy! Sure, it can be a bit frustrating, but you can guarantee that if I, or anyone, had come back demanding to know when and if it would be done and by who, I would have been told point blank to take a long walk off of a short pier. I looked into what it would take to figure out how to do it myself, and decided that it was just a bit to far out of my reach (still is..I'm a baaaby creator). I had to be creative and work around what was available. Photoshop became my best friend. Necessity is, indeed, the mother of invention.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: