Insimenator.org
April 26, 2024, 02:37:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For those who are name challenged...  (Read 4351 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2009, 07:55:48 am »

http://www.behindthename.com/random/

Behindthename.com is a name database site I've used for 3 years now, for naming my sims and my create-a-wrestlers (CAWS) on the Smackdown Vs. Raw series of video games. They have a HUGE database of names, and you can even mix and match names. The way it works is you check off the dialect of the names you want generated, the select what gender you want generated and how many names you want generated. After that, hit generate a name and VIOLA!!! You can hit refresh on the screen that shows your generated name for it to automatically generate another name, and it even gives you the entomology of each name when you click it. Have fun with it, folks. Grin

Naria
Jedi Master

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:24:14 am »

Oh, man. I can't even begin to describe my love for that website. I've been going there for five years. I don't do the random thing a lot, but the database is amazing. I have an obsession with names, so it's like heaven for me.  Grin I spend at least an hour on that website each time I name a character in my writings.

My other ride is a chocobo.
selenashelper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 09:53:16 am »

Oh, wow, I didn't even know this existed. Usually, I end up resorting to babynames.com (which has a lot of pop-ups), but this is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing, I'll use it from now on.
Madison-Simple-As-That

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:54:16 pm »

Wow, what I usually end up doing is staring at the keyboard, rhyming names until something comes up, lol.

Thanks! Saves alot of time!

I am Madi_Loves_Yew.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 12:04:44 am »

I've never had a problem with names, but for those times when I need some help this is my bible. I bought it... oh good lord... at least ten years ago and have taped the cover back on a few times LOL. It is an awesome book, divided by country of origin, then subdivided by gender. Gives the name, it's pronounciation (where necessary), it's origin, meaning and variants. It's 574 pages of name goodness!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 01:37:32 pm by caffeinated.joy » Logged

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Madison-Simple-As-That

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 12:41:08 am »

Wow! That's like a bajillion names, Joy! Ha ha!

I usually twist up a weird name. Summerlynne, isn't so weird, but I have never met a Summerlynne in my life. Or heard of one.

Brianne is pretty unique I guess.

Jeighleigh, Lol.

Bhrett? Pretty! (For Girls)

Aryanna. I don't think it's used enough.       

And sometimes, I use boys names for girls names, for fun.
Hayden
Tyler
Dorian (I know a girl named Dorian, but I think it's more boyish, but okay either way.)

Could someone give me some boy names? (That website won't spit out any boy names I like.)
I have a never ending list of names for the girlies, but about 3 for boys. Seriously. Please help me?

I am Madi_Loves_Yew.
saowens
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 03:01:12 pm »

Thanks for sharing this K. I can't think up a decent name to save my life.  Grin
ghettoblaster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 07:04:30 pm »

Yeah i know right that website really is good stuff! Wink
i looove it, especially since i love names and looking up
the meanings behind them and things (i often try to look up
names that aren't religiously orginated  [since im not
religious]). i mean a little bit is okay but the whole "gods messenger"
or "the one who surrenders themselves to god" just feels like..
too much. anyways sorry for ranting i just love looking up names
and stuff and i must say that sharing that site here was just a great idea! Cheesy

--<br />the world's got a nosebleed
rylangere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 10:53:57 pm »

Woah!  Where has this site been all my life?!  I am slightly (just slightly) obsessed with names and I've never heard of this!  *Adds to favorites immediately!* 
Wow! That's like a bajillion names, Joy! Ha ha!

I usually twist up a weird name. Summerlynne, isn't so weird, but I have never met a Summerlynne in my life. Or heard of one.

Brianne is pretty unique I guess.

Jeighleigh, Lol.

Bhrett? Pretty! (For Girls)

Aryanna. I don't think it's used enough.       

And sometimes, I use boys names for girls names, for fun.
Hayden
Tyler
Dorian (I know a girl named Dorian, but I think it's more boyish, but okay either way.)

Could someone give me some boy names? (That website won't spit out any boy names I like.)
I have a never ending list of names for the girlies, but about 3 for boys. Seriously. Please help me?

I love using boy names for girls!  A few of my favorites:
Rylan (obviously!)
Dylan
Aleksei
Nikolai
Ayden

Just to name a few!  Thank for mentioning the great site, kaoz666 =)

"Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: