Insimenator.org
April 18, 2024, 04:51:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: I am horrible at building houses..  (Read 8241 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
satan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 06:16:53 pm »

nothing wrong with big squares. my worse ones are always big and sprawling. they look like freakin' warehouses. i have one i really want to tear down right now, but i also don't want to bother. it is way too big and flat, though. i built in a hurry for no good reason months ago and i don't even play those sims anymore, but every time i see it neighborhood view it hurts my soul. one of these days i'm going to destroy it.

There's a trick to fixing a house like that.   Take the roof off, arrange the furniture in the rooms toward the center leaving just enough room to get around easily.  Now, just tear down the  outside walls and move them in around the outside of the furniture.  If you have two stories, do this to the first floor first, then match up the second floor as best you can.  If there are overhangs, it's not a big deal.  Many modern houses have that type of modular-looking style...just throw a flat roof on top or maybe a roof patio and you're set.

good advice, but i'll still probably just move them out and trash it. it's a big lot for two sims that don't even want kids and likely never will. i just went kinda overboard because the house i previously had them living in was too tiny and i over compensated when i built them a new one. these days i try to stick to smaller, three story houses. the one i'm playing now is a fairly simple three story with a second story deck and a smaller third story with the surrounding remaining area serving as a bigger deck or whatever you call it over looking the shore and the side yard. it's simple, but i like it. well, i did until i got a dog and learned they apparently can't use spiral stairs and i had to stick and a few elevators in there because i don't like regular stairs.

the one nice thing about the "warehouse" was it was the first house i built with a garage. for some reason i could never get it right before so i always gave up. i don't know what i was doing wrong, but now that i know how to do it i've realised it's damned near the simplest thing ever and almost all of my houses have a garage.
Feisty32
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 12:10:15 pm »

as long as you try your best and put your heart and effort into building a house then that's what really counts/matters my husband always encourages and always tells me my houses look beautiful and yes my hubby is wonderful like that which makes me love my dude more her's the reason i keep building and being creative.

kinnika

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 07:59:06 am »

nothing ever matches

I do the same thing sometimes. It's having an "eclectic" style.

There are some great advisors on here already like Paden, Simsane and some others I've seen.

I do agree with Vampyre about "growing" houses. I'm all about that. I start basic and let it go from there. I like having the Sim move in and then after they live in it for awhile, add on when necessary.

I use all different kinds of methods of building, but no matter what method I use, I always use three cheats to build: boolprop move_objects on, boolprop snapobjectstogrid true / false, and boolprop allow45degreeangleofrotation true. These really work and are a necessity for me (even to game). First, I use the the snapobjects true (what is naturally on when you go into game).

One method I use is to place foundation in a big square (building a foundation for yourself gives you the option later on to build a basement if you so wish. You can also add connecting garages using other cheats). You can always take some of that foundation away if its too big. From there I figure out the basic first floor rooms. Kitchen, dining room, living room, bathroom (I hate it when homes have no 1st floor bathrooms!). I use a basic guide to help me, which I jotted down using one of Maxis' basic houses. Living room 6 X 7, kitchen 5 X 6, main level bath 2 X 2, etc (I had a main bath that was 9 X 4 once fully loaded. Why would guests use all that?). Mind you, those are just examples. Those measurements could be off. If I need a little more room, I make more room. But I try not to make too large of rooms with little furniture (it takes a Sim 1/2 an hour to cross some of the living rooms I've seen). The basic measurements I have written is functional. They don't need a lot of space. Once you have the main floor rooms, you have options to add rooms from there. I do remember to give a little porch in front and, of course, it's optional if you want one in back.

Another method I use if the walls just aren't working for me is to set up the room with no walls. I "wall" around the furniture. This sometimes is helpful to see a visual aid and see if it is functional before officially setting it all up. Think of houses you have been in. Look through house and even apartment guides, pictures, magazines. Try copying a room you've seen and go from there. I do that and so do some of the great creators like the ones on Pimp My Sims, I'm sure. But start basic. Don't try with a 4 level mansion or anything, lol.

When I decorate, I use a ton of OMSP (ask me if you don't know what this is). But, those go hand in hand with the snapobjectstogrid false cheat. Can't have one without the other, it would kind of be like being salt without pepper. This hack and cheat go a looong way as far as decorating goes. More than one item on a grid?? Awesome.

Tips:

- Make sure that your Sims enter / exit rooms in an appropriate place. Think of the houses you have been in. Have any of them had the bedroom be entered / exited from the kitchen as opposed to the living room or hallway? Rarely, right?

- Just make sure bedrooms can easily access bathrooms and that you have at least 1 bathroom for every 2 - 3 rooms you have. And one on the main floor for visitors (doesn't have to be fully loaded. Sink, toilet, period.

- You don't have to close up every room with walls. You can have an openness about rooms. I have dining rooms / kitchens sometimes.

- Room diversity is good. Sometimes I hook a nursery onto the master bedroom and have an adjoining bathroom between the two. You can always turn that nursery into a little den / office for the parents when the babies are all grown up.

- The bigger the room, the longer they travel. The smaller the room (not too small), the easier they can get to the things they need. Just remember make sure the house is functional. Most of the downloaded houses I have gotten have been awesome from the outside, but completely impracticable on the inside. I always tear into my houses and then rebuild or alter them, making them work for me. I don't think there's been a house where I haven't had to alter things in some way. Don't make the dining room a million miles away from the kitchen, don't have the bathroom far away from all the other rooms, etc. I usually place the main bath in a central location, for instance, and the kitchen and dining room often share the same room / space.

- Start out small and basic. You can always add on later. But give yourself more options with making a foundation.

- To store any extra game-playing mods (InSIMenator, excess story objects, etc), use the attic! It's already there when you make a tall roof. All you have to do is add some flooring and a staircase (optional). Just remember not to place the objects to close to the edge. They'll poke out!

- When furnishing, think of what your Sim is like. Are they country? Goth? Punk? Conservative? Think of how THEY would furnish their houses. Some of my Sims have hideous taste. But it's their house, their lives. I just like diversity in my communities. Just a thought.

Hm, I guess those are the big things I think of when building. Guess I can always add more if I think of them. Hope this helps.

Happy building!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:05:42 am by kinnika » Logged

"[T]here's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing[.]"; Hence: There are a lot of great Sims stuff out there for free that are just as good as name brands you pay for!

So please, take note: http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/
Feisty32
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 07:41:21 pm »

kinnika thanks for posting those tips they are very helpful. YAY
kinnika

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 08:10:59 am »

Sure thing, and thank you. Glad they helped.

"[T]here's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing[.]"; Hence: There are a lot of great Sims stuff out there for free that are just as good as name brands you pay for!

Feisty32
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 03:46:33 pm »

i always forget t0 put bathrooms in and wonder why they  wet them selfs

i can top that i never put showers or bath tubs in my houses and i always why my simmies will not come within 300 feet of one another haha.ROFL Laugh2  YAY
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 05:10:27 pm »

Death by flies, anyone??

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
kinnika

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 05:30:52 pm »

Lol, too funny.

Feisty32
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 06:30:18 pm »

it really is i always lose it when random nps walk past my simmies and they have to hold their nose cause the body odor is so bad it is so damn funny lol.ROFL Laugh
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: