Insimenator.org
April 23, 2024, 02:11:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sims 3 DRM!  (Read 89686 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 02:07:18 pm »

The game will have disc-based copy protection – there is a Serial Code just like The Sims 2.

And like starting in BV, the same kind of crap? Notice he didn't say "No Securom." Just some sort of copy protection.

Hate to rain on everyone's parade, but EA could be changing the format of the copy protection so that the machine cannot identify it as "Securom" , but the same protection under an alias. (this is pure speculation on my part. Not yet confirmed by any information.)

I'd wait and see how they do this. I'm very suspicious that they would totally drop any kind of copy protection, and let everyone have fun with their game. Not gonna happen in anyone's lifetime.

Remember one thing-EA is going to have the Sims 3 store-and with it, the EADM which does indeed have Securom as a uninvited guest. Always has had it.

You want the custom content from there? You have to register your game and have the EADM install the stuff. That's the way it's done now, and I seriously doubt they're changing that format at all.

So, sure-no copy protection on the disc, but it gets into your computer anyway because they're probably going to lock down the content from their game on their site.

Just fair warning for all of those who are cheering this move by EA. It looks good, but under the surface, it doesn't really add up.

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 02:38:15 pm »

We don't need multiple threads posted about the same topic. In the future, please double check that something hasn't been posted already before hitting that 'new topic' button Smiley. Threads merged.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
VampyrMuffinMan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 03:50:34 pm »

The game will have disc-based copy protection – there is a Serial Code just like The Sims 2.

And like starting in BV, the same kind of crap? Notice he didn't say "No Securom." Just some sort of copy protection.

Hate to rain on everyone's parade, but EA could be changing the format of the copy protection so that the machine cannot identify it as "Securom" , but the same protection under an alias. (this is pure speculation on my part. Not yet confirmed by any information.)

I'd wait and see how they do this. I'm very suspicious that they would totally drop any kind of copy protection, and let everyone have fun with their game. Not gonna happen in anyone's lifetime.

Remember one thing-EA is going to have the Sims 3 store-and with it, the EADM which does indeed have Securom as a uninvited guest. Always has had it.

You want the custom content from there? You have to register your game and have the EADM install the stuff. That's the way it's done now, and I seriously doubt they're changing that format at all.

So, sure-no copy protection on the disc, but it gets into your computer anyway because they're probably going to lock down the content from their game on their site.

Just fair warning for all of those who are cheering this move by EA. It looks good, but under the surface, it doesn't really add up.

The game will have disc-based copy protection – there is a Serial Code just like The Sims 2. To play the game there will not be any online authentication needed.

We feel like this is a good, time-proven solution that makes it easy for you to play the game without DRM methods that feel overly invasive or leave you concerned about authorization server access in the distant future.

That seems pretty straight forward to me.   YAY  I'm actually impressed.  I'm still not going to buy it right off, unless I have the money burn.  ROFL2 

That being said; if I felt paranoid, I would feel suspicious about some other form of nastiness on the game disk, but I trust that it will be found in short order and can be delt with.

Check out my HubPages for useful computer tutorials.  [link under wolfie]
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 04:05:29 pm »

Like Kaoz666 said. When I can download CC as in sims2 for free and all this pay for garbage is that's has been going around hits the road with their drm then I will consider moving up to sims3.
The bottom line is I will not subscribe to a pay site and I will not play a vanilla game.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 11:46:39 pm »

I've got to say, I don't think I've ever seen so many threads where one person is one of the main contributors and that one person is basing everything he or she says on paranoia and fear.  If it's stated in each post that comments are based on paranoia and fear it wouldn't be so bad, but those fears are stated as fact.  Someone else picks it up and treats it as fact and the rumors and misinformation just spreads from there.

The truth is, we don't know for fact what the powers to be at EA are thinking.  While what we see may be pointing one direction, it could end up being something completely different.

[opinion]Take the CC and Store for example, or CC and TSR.  Whether EA is restricting CC to those two arenas really makes no difference.  The community at large has already shown blatant disrespect for the policies governing paysites and have freely shared CC from them.  If TSR has special programs available to it's creators, how long do you think it would take for those to be freely available?  One day?  Two days?  [/opinion]

Maxoids have come online on the BBS and stated No Securom, and no phone home requirements.  Yes, there is disk based copy protection, a.k.a. a DRM, but it's not Securom. 

[opinion]Again, one or two days to wait for a NoCD/DVD version.  [/opinion]

Pescado has stated that TS3 may not be friendly to user created mods.  With what we know right now, it's almost a guaranteed fact.  Take it to the bank.  After TS3 has been out a while, that may change.  It may not.

Everyone is pretty much in the same position of wait and see.  Some are saying they will buy right away, others are saying not just no but hell no.  But over all it's a wait and see.
Feisty32
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 12:04:29 am »

ancienthighway i do respect your opinion and you do make some very good valid points the fact is i am scared to death to put any newer ea pc games on my computer i just cannot take that risk i'm just to fearful of their games and this is coming from a big time sims 2 fan which i still am i know when i got bv and installed it when the patch came out one day i was backing up some files pics,music,and my sims 2 cc on some blank purple disks and when i had to reformat and tried putting my files back on my computer the disks were all blank and i was furious i do believe securom rendered my cd burner useless and that very day i threw out my bv ep and since sept. 17, 2007  i have not bought another sims game since.

and believe me i am still to this very day miffed at what that evil securom did to my computer.

anyhow like i said i do respect your opinion just so you know. Grin
VampyrMuffinMan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 02:37:06 am »

ancienthighway i do respect your opinion and you do make some very good valid points the fact is i am scared to death to put any newer ea pc games on my computer i just cannot take that risk i'm just to fearful of their games and this is coming from a big time sims 2 fan which i still am i know when i got bv and installed it when the patch came out one day i was backing up some files pics,music,and my sims 2 cc on some blank purple disks and when i had to reformat and tried putting my files back on my computer the disks were all blank and i was furious i do believe securom rendered my cd burner useless and that very day i threw out my bv ep and since sept. 17, 2007  i have not bought another sims game since.

and believe me i am still to this very day miffed at what that evil securom did to my computer.

I would feel the same way...
Something that I've learned in the past year, though.  Free disk imaging software can be had for backing up your system.  I've used three different ones and they are pretty decent.  They're in my list of free software at my HubPages.  Always make sure that your CDs/DVDs are readable after you burn them...I learned that the hard way about 8 years ago.  I've had really good results using PowerISO.  The way that I use it is to save an ISO image of anything I'm going to burn.  Then I burn the disk.  PowerISO opens the drawer when the burn is done, then closes it again right away.  The autoplay window pops up and I do a little exploring.  If there is a problem, then I just burn another disk.  It's served me pretty well, considering that I have ~500 DVDs burned...  Just an opinion, but I absolutely despise Nero software.    Nero is one of the first things I ever delved into the registry to destroy, just because it annoyed me that much.

Roxy2004

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 03:01:34 am »

Here's what I know.  The only way you will be able to patch Sims 3 is through the EADM.  The EADM will come with the game and most likely install with the game.  http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?threadID=3fa84c056ba3d222452c84eefbc6101c&directoryID=225&startRow=1&openItemID=item.225,item.43,item.61,item.104,item.41,item.127,item.23

Also, while they said the disc version will not have secuRom, the digital download will. http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/community/bbs/messages.php?threadID=e035262b417737430098736c165c7f1f&directoryID=225&startRow=1&openItemID=item.225,item.43,item.61,item.104,item.41,item.127,item.23

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 05:31:06 pm »

Read the EULA ancienthighway, read it twice.
This site deals in other peoples mods. The so called download manager will ensure that you do not download mods into your game, recolours and re-meshes yes, but mods and hacks no, no zip or rar. it's download manager. (very similar to what TSR has)
Interpret the Infringing on a third parties intellectual property rights please. 
Feisty32
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 07:12:54 pm »

I would feel the same way...
Something that I've learned in the past year, though.  Free disk imaging software can be had for backing up your system.  I've used three different ones and they are pretty decent.  They're in my list of free software at my HubPages.  Always make sure that your CDs/DVDs are readable after you burn them...I learned that the hard way about 8 years ago.  I've had really good results using PowerISO.  The way that I use it is to save an ISO image of anything I'm going to burn.  Then I burn the disk.  PowerISO opens the drawer when the burn is done, then closes it again right away.  The autoplay window pops up and I do a little exploring.  If there is a problem, then I just burn another disk.  It's served me pretty well, considering that I have ~500 DVDs burned...  Just an opinion, but I absolutely despise Nero software.    Nero is one of the first things I ever delved into the registry to destroy, just because it annoyed me that much.

that's the just the thing though every single cdr's i have used has been readable i was at a level of ticked off like i have never been.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 09:26:56 pm »

From my interpretation of the EULA and TOS, I'm not seeing anything to throw up a red flag to say I can't create and share my creations outside of TheSims3.com.

Section 7 Paragraph A Reservation of Rights.  This paragraph is pretty much boilerplate.  Read any EULA that comes with any software and you find pretty much the same thing.  

Section 7 Paragraph B also is pretty much boilerplate for games that allow custom content, to include online MMORPGs, FPS, etc.  It basically is a creator granting authorization, licenses, etc, to the company, EA in this case, to offer the creation for download, to modify the creation, and created derivative works based on the creation.  The creator still maintains ownership.

The EULA pertains only to The Sims 3 and www.TheSims3.com.  It has no bearing at all on this site, Pescado's site, The Sims Resource, or my site.  In fact, you can't download anything from my site if you use the EADM.  Just as the download manager TSR has won't allow you to download anything from my site.

One thing the EULA is saying is that in order to patch the game, you must use the EADM.  But it also say you can remove the EADM and play the game without it.

I see nothing in the EULA or the Terms of Use that would prohibit me from creating and sharing CC or mods.  Currently the only thing that will stop me is the availability of the tools to do so.

Feisty32, based on your experience, I too would be paranoid about anything from EA.  My previous post wasn't to say that everything with TS3 is the embodiment of perfection.  I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their minds.  Truth be told, I don't expect to be picking up TS3 at all.  My previous post was to simply say don't state fears and paranoia as fact.
Feisty32
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 10:33:30 pm »

oh ok ancienthighway sorry if i offended you. Grin
mrnapolean1
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 12:02:45 am »

so custom content is a no no.
screw that.
i WILL edit the main files to remove the instances to the eadm. and replace those instances with empty versions. so you wont get the dreaded sims3.exe has caused a problem and needs to close. message. cool

and if i cannot remove those instances than ea and rod humble can go eat roasted camel shit and go screw somewhere. angry
VampyrMuffinMan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 04:32:37 pm »

so custom content is a no no.
screw that.
i WILL edit the main files to remove the instances to the eadm. and replace those instances with empty versions. so you wont get the dreaded sims3.exe has caused a problem and needs to close. message. cool

and if i cannot remove those instances than ea and rod humble can go eat roasted camel shit and go screw somewhere. angry

Good to hear...  Rock  Besides, the patches around here are better than anything you can get "offically".  Now, off to play with AutoCAD 2010 trial on Windows 7 beta.  Rocker

durham

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2009, 05:20:43 am »

cool First post I have made. While reading through the articles here I noticed that Securom seemed to be a big issue with folks well... good news.

http://compsimgames.about.com/b/2009/03/27/no-securom-in-the-sims-3.htm

What do you think?

Edit^By the way info is a bit old and may have been posted somewhere, however I didn't see it in any of the threads I read  cool
Also Here is the Official post:
    http://thesims3.ea.com/view/pages/newsItem.jsp?item=-608201177
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 05:38:34 am by durham » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: