Insimenator.org
April 30, 2024, 08:30:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sims 3 DRM!  (Read 89846 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2009, 12:13:13 am »

If this is some months old beta EA. would have been the first on the net telling us so. The fact that it has now been doing the rounds for about 24 hours and still no comment from EA. tells me this is the thing that will be for sale next month.
They are obviously formulating some damage control plan at the moment and I'm willing to bet that old humble bumble won't be releasing the next statement.
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2009, 12:21:04 am »

I'm not trying to be rude or anything because I respect anyones decision not to buy the game because thats there preogative but I must get this off my chest and I'll leave it with that and it is this

I don't think people are grasping the concept of something very major in this whole SecuROM fiasco, I clearly remember seeing somewhere and if I must I will find the link but somewhere, and if I'm not mistaken I believe it was on a youtube video interview with Ben Bell or Grant Rodiek (one of the two) that bluntly stated that TS3 legal copy will not include the DRM but the digital download will meaning if you pirated it you will get the SecuROM on your PC now am I completley off balance or did you all who have the game already not download it? and wouldn't that be classified as a digital download? therefore this is the reason you are seeing the DRM?

Thank you for allowing me to rant tongue
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2009, 01:04:33 am »

Thing is, from what I understand, this is a copy of the game that is headed for your store shelves and comes as an iso file. Now, if this is indeed a copy of what's on the disk, we've been lied to once again by the idiots in control of the company. I never planned on getting it in the first place based on the information of how the game is going to play, but this just clinches the No Sale decision. I do not want it. Had they stuck with something closer to the game we already play, maybe I would have wanted it. Big maybe, though. I don't trust EA Games any farther than I could throw Pierre, and I'm not a physically weak person. Does that tell you much on how badly they've damaged customer loyalty with their shenanigans?

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2009, 01:29:50 am »

Again I respect your decision not to buy the game Paden and I can accept the fact that this may be a gold edition game but doesn't anyone remember EA stating and that vid I seen kind of confirms it as well that there will be 2 versions going out one that will have the DRM that most will pirate and say is the real deal and the other that will be going out that will not include the DRM that the good, hardworking people will legally buy and not weasle off the internet I think and I will continue to believe this, that the leaked version was purposely screwed around with and the DRM included so that EA could laugh in the pirates faces and basically say "We told you so.." and sorry but it is their (the pirates and pirators) own stupidity that got them where they are right now, I am not kissing EA's ass but I think that they EA has included the DRM in the digital download/pirated version like they warned and this is just a dose of what all pirates and the like deserve because they all should have waited like the rest of the community
Roxy2004

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2009, 02:12:31 am »

I'm no authority on pirating a game(have never done it), but I think you are getting EA's digital download(which will have securom) mixed up with what the torrents sites have up.  What the torrent sites have is a copy of a physical disc, that they ripped the files off of  and then uploaded.  The files haven't been cleaned yet. 

Of course I could be totally wrong on how it works.   Grin

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2009, 02:43:15 am »

I just checked in MATY and the game they are playing appears to be the genuine article. The problems with it at the moment are mainly video card related, it tends to clash with some cards.
As for the drm. well, one certainly doesn't include that in arrrg software does one?
However the traces are there for all the world to see, check pescados picture.
As for anything believable coming out of EA. I think they have a large picture of Pinocchio at head office.
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2009, 05:02:16 am »

Pescado is but one of the many voices (like Paden) that have warned about securom.   I don't see this as a rant against EA but caveat emptor.  I find it ironic that there is so much criticism of those trying to inform us since most of us readily acknowledge that we only want to know the truth before we purchase--not so that we know when and where to dl it for free. 

The responses I've seen are more "Nope I'll be saving my money and sticking to TS2" or "I hope it isn't the real game I'll just either wait to see what others say or  buy it & see for myself after its released."    Keypoint is that this is about arming the legitimate purchaser with information.

In my situation I had no clue that my purchase of a Sims game would mean:

1. I needed to always be online to play

2. I would NEVER get assistance from EA on how to correct game issues problems with the software I legitimately paid for

3. I'd be blocked from making a copy of my game as a backup--even though the EA site said you must make a backupfor your own (permissible) use before your activation period runs out.  I'd have never bought a game that says if you have computer issues over the years then you'll lose the permission to play your "paid for & registered" copy of the game.   My last email to  EA customer service back in October asking for more than a cheesy robot response got a cheesy robot response.

These forums: InSim, Maty, PMBD, MTS2, Simbiology, Palladin are where I got my assistance from.   In depth information from people who legitimately bought, invested time and money in and modded the game throughout the years.   Quality reviews, tutorials and fixes/CC that I now can't see myself playing without. 

As a customer I thought WTH?  After months of getting the run around from the company that got my money I got no assistance?  Yet people who get no benefit from the information they give out (i.e. non-paysites) helped me get use out of EA's game?

So yes, I value the opinion of the many players who have played, enjoyed, & massively enhanced TS2 gameplay.  I was headed to pre-order in January from amazon.com (I wanted the free plumbob and the vintage car Tee Hee).  Just before paying I clicked a link for more info from the EA Sims3 website and read the same lines I had read when I purchased my first game:  "Online activation needed, limit of 3 installs per registered copy."

Needless to say I cancelled my order.   So I found that the players that warned about DRM issues hit the nail on the head.  Worse EA has changed the game requirements a few times and has since changed many lengthy game descriptions to nothing more than fluff, touting all the asthetics and side-stepping the Securom question.  Why continually change your page and break links to info your own company provided unless it is an attempt to hide the truth and cause counfusion?   My mistrust of EA comes from these types of behaviors.

The way I see it the so-called "pirates" only asked EA to provide accurate info and stay consistent so all of us in the community will know what we are getting.  I'll use this info like I did the other.  Consider and compare reviews of the games from the forums I know to be consistent and accurate &, though I'll miss the cutesy plumbob and car,  see who cries or rejoices after the game is released--before I invest my cash.

Would I love to try out the game?  Yes.   Am I going to buy a $80 game that will nullify itself if my computer needs revamping for any reason?   No.  But I'll sure want to...I can't help it I'm a simmer Grin.

Sims by Dasi:

Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2009, 05:39:05 am »

Well, isn't the most important point of seeking out arrg software to avoid DRM? Of course the arrg is fixed that way and it's no means to prove if there's SecuROM on the retail version or not. So yes, I am 99% positive that there's SecurROM on The Sims 3 - but you won't be able to tell that from the leaked version, because that one is cleaned. Simple. As. That.

Maybe EA wants to do the same as Ubisoft: convince pc players that they should not buy their product and afterwards whine that pc players are evil pirates and therefore not even worthy to be allowed to BUY DLC. Sorry, that's the pc vs. console issue... but not really that different at all if one looks closely.The loser is always the paying customer. Sad
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2009, 05:49:22 am »

I don't think people are grasping the concept of something very major in this whole SecuROM fiasco, I clearly remember seeing somewhere and if I must I will find the link but somewhere, and if I'm not mistaken I believe it was on a youtube video interview with Ben Bell or Grant Rodiek (one of the two) that bluntly stated that TS3 legal copy will not include the DRM but the digital download will meaning if you pirated it you will get the SecuROM on your PC now am I completley off balance or did you all who have the game already not download it? and wouldn't that be classified as a digital download? therefore this is the reason you are seeing the DRM?

Thank you for allowing me to rant tongue

That's not how it works. The whole purpose of a pirated copy of anything is to make it workable without the limitations the releasing company has introduced. It wouldn't work otherwise, cause Securom or its little siblings would prevent the startup. If Securom was indeed included in that copy, the company has included it, but to no avail, since that pirated thing must have a no cd patch, allowing you to play it without any copy protection.
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2009, 06:27:15 am »

For the benefit of those who still clap their hands over their ears screaming NO! NO! NO! This is the real thing, this is what you are going to buy early next month, it is not a hoax or some half baked beta.
One thing for those who have already made up their minds to buy the thing can look forward to is that you now have two weeks to preview the crap.
One thing that I'm really looking forward to is EA's explanation on how they have been naughty boys and have in reality been telling us porky pies all along about taking out all the drm.

abaris

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2009, 06:33:52 am »

I have to say, that I have a whole lot of Schadenfreude about EA of all companies falling prey to pre release piracy. Maybe that's one way of making them stop and reconsider, since it hurts them in the only place that matters - their accounts.
ma.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2009, 10:20:43 am »

Like SimGirl20, I respect anyone's reasons to not buy the game, but this just had to be said.

There is no DRM so we should all just stop saying "F--- EAxis" and just move on

Even during the press release about the leak they said that all it had was a security key.

There will be no SecuROM in TS3. 100% Definite

And personally, I'll believe many, many press releases instead of a few modders.

Pierre
Retiered from the sims2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2009, 10:27:26 am »

Like SimGirl20, I respect anyone's reasons to not buy the game, but this just had to be said.

Even during the press release about the leak they said that all it had was a security key.

There will be no SecuROM in TS3. 100% Definite

And personally, I'll believe many, many press releases instead of a few modders.

and its the same for me i respect members 's reason not to buy the game and here is a little piece of wisdom before a step out of this thread now that i said what i needed to  say what i had to say please take the time to read all the info.
Thank you
Pierre

Please do not pm me about happysimmers this site has been close now if you need any thing please look up this forum thank youhttp://delightfulsims.net/index.php
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2009, 10:30:55 am »

Take it from someone who's in the press business since 1990. Advertising budgets do wonders to press releases. As an insider I take everything the press writes with a lot of salt. In the business it's commonly known that ads are usually sold hand in hand with the promise of a friendly article.

Might sound cynical, but knowing the business I take the toilet woman's opinion over anything the special interest magazines publish.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 10:36:16 am by abaris » Logged
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2009, 10:38:00 am »

I'll believe modders like Pescado over the damn company any day. So, you can take all of your press releases and use them to wipe your dog's hind end. Once the damn thing hits the stores and others have a look at it, I'm pretty sure it's SecuROM. Oh, and ya'll can stop drinking the Kool-Aid that EA passes out to the gullible.

EA GAMES HAS LIED BEFORE AND WILL DO IT AGAIN. DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE DAMAGE CONTROL PEOPLE UNTIL THE GAME HITS THE STORES AND RESULTS CAN BE COMPARED. I will trust the modders that have FIXED the borked crap they gave us in Sims 2 before I will ever trust EA GAMES ever again.

See, I can use big font, too. And no, I believe the man behind the curtain that the dog is pulling open for us all to see is just trying to blow smoke up our butts because their butts are on the line when it comes to profits. We've already seen to what that company will sink to in order to protect the almighty dollar, do you really believe they won't stop sinking? If you do, more fool you. Caveat emptor, people. In other words, let the buyer beware.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: