Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 10:31:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sims 3 DRM!  (Read 88843 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: June 03, 2009, 05:51:33 am »

Well, duh!
I can't fathom why there's still no laws that obligate publishers to inform customers about DRM on the box. There are for music cd's. And the lack of these laws are global. They miss in Europe just as well as in the US. It's a big conspiracy. Wink

And I can't believe this guy confessing that they chose to deceive the customers until release day, so the pre-orders wouldn't get cancelled. Well, the ones that didn't already fell victim to the accidental demo (yes, here you have the reason why a game like that has no demo, it would provoke the exact opposite reaction any other demo would aim for. This version of The Sims sells on reputation alone, or should I say on the reasonable expectations of the customers?).
Nalia
イノセンスはつどう

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 03, 2009, 06:15:56 am »

Well, duh!
I can't fathom why there's still no laws that obligate publishers to inform customers about DRM on the box. There are for music cd's. And the lack of these laws are global. They miss in Europe just as well as in the US. It's a big conspiracy. Wink

Because publishers treat us all, with no exception, as pirates, or potential pirates. But they seem to forget one of the basic principles in Psychology field: when you treat one as a pirate, idiot, useless, whatever, you increase the chances of this person behaving in this manner and actually becoming one.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-- William Shakespeare, "Hamlet" (Act 2, scene 2)
"Yes, Sharing is caring, especially caring for the person you're sharing."  -- AxelVal
I said I Love Yuu not you --Nalia
My LiveJournal
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2009, 06:45:48 am »

Exactly, Nalia.
Just like Ubisoft did with The Prince of Persia for pc: we give you no DRM to prove you are pirates by making the game as unattractive as possible for pc players (DLC for consoles only, release date pushed behind console release and unexcusable condescention and indifference towards the customers who made this game successful in the first place on the official site).

I say, gaming companies that treat customers as pirates (DRM only burdens customers, not pirates) just pretend and blow the piracy issue out of proportion to deflect the focus from the bad products they offer. And heck, they offer really bad games by the dozens, who wants to buy that, really? I looked at the greatly extolled Mirror's Edge for five minutes and was amazed at how they get away with such baaaad graphics and gameplay and still make it a best seller! shocked And I think I don't need to say anything about the harsh disappointment about the long awaited Spore...

People are getting suspicious and don't want to waste more money on a company that couldn't care less and are accused to be pirates for that. huh
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2009, 07:44:12 am »

On a side note. The last expansion of neverwinter nights 2 was actually delayed because they didn't have their DRM at the ready. The result as is published on the official site, is a massive loss in sales.

They just don't get it or just don't care that DRM is only a tool to harrass the honest customer. I've yet to find any DRM that hasn't been cracked within hours after the products release. That way they really shouldn't surprise that more and more people tell them to kiss their hindparts and opt for the less honorable solution.
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2009, 10:03:32 am »

Oh, this is just too good. If, indeed, they are using SecuROM in any form after telling people that they were not, I think that could be basis for yet another lawsuit if it begins to interfere with the normal workings of your machine that turns it into a nice heavy paperweight.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: June 03, 2009, 04:25:33 pm »

And heck, they offer really bad games by the dozens, who wants to buy that, really? I looked at the greatly extolled Mirror's Edge for five minutes and was amazed at how they get away with such baaaad graphics and gameplay and still make it a best seller! shocked

lol I'm still contemplating whether or not to let you get away with this one! Graphics were far beyond Sims 3 graphics, that's for sure. Anything else is opinion.

Most hardcore gamers love games like ME!!!

(3rd) Ae Young Kim Mother of the Year
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: June 03, 2009, 05:30:59 pm »

Well, then I'll have to apologize for not being a hardcore gamer, but someone who actually likes to see what they're doing. Then I'll do that for 8 hours straight (or more). I'm not hardcore, I'm critical of the bad quality of games since consoles took over the market.

But that is totally besides the topic - unless you count in that Mirror's -Edge has SuckaROM... Lips Sealed
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 03, 2009, 05:42:06 pm »

Just like Ubisoft did with The Prince of Persia for pc: we give you no DRM to prove you are pirates by making the game as unattractive as possible for pc players (DLC for consoles only, release date pushed behind console release and unexcusable condescention and indifference towards the customers who made this game successful in the first place on the official site).
They did succeed in one thing, though. The fact of that the game was utterly crap meant I didn't pirate it at all, despite the lack of DRM. Not that DRM has ever stopped Pirate Cat. Of course, I didn't buy it, either, because it was CRAP. The lesson: Crappy games have nothing to fear from pirates.
kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: June 03, 2009, 06:06:22 pm »

The lesson: Crappy games have nothing to fear from pirates.

Quoted for truth.

Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: June 03, 2009, 06:13:15 pm »

Well, then I'll have to apologize for not being a hardcore gamer, but someone who actually likes to see what they're doing. Then I'll do that for 8 hours straight (or more). I'm not hardcore, I'm critical of the bad quality of games since consoles took over the market.

But that is totally besides the topic - unless you count in that Mirror's -Edge has SuckaROM... Lips Sealed

Okay, you DO get a point for that. ME does have SecuROM and it is very upsetting.

EA needs to stop using faulty DRM software.

And yeah, most "traditional gamers" like first-person action games. So I can see your point as well.

Happy Simming!

(3rd) Ae Young Kim Mother of the Year
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 03, 2009, 06:38:10 pm »

I have a question. The digital download is supposed to have securom or something similar and no doubt the future EPs will also be thus protected. If I have a major issue and I need to reinstall the game or even the entire operating system will I be able to get the downloads as a free replacement? Or will EA just say that's sad, we've heard it all before, let's see the colour of your money first.
Obviously because the download contains drm. then burning a backup copy may be out of the question.
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: June 03, 2009, 09:01:45 pm »

Just like Ubisoft did with The Prince of Persia...
They did succeed in one thing, though. The fact of that the game was utterly crap meant I didn't pirate it at all, despite the lack of DRM. Not that DRM has ever stopped Pirate Cat. Of course, I didn't buy it, either, because it was CRAP. The lesson: Crappy games have nothing to fear from pirates.

Huh. I played that game compulsively four times in a row *scratches head*.
Modded it to be a bit more adult (sexy), though...
But then I spent some time in a hospital and haven't played it since. Grin
Went back to playing the witcher for, like the fourth time and have no trouble with the TAGES DRM. tongue
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  

Jump to: