Insimenator.org
April 16, 2024, 08:24:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How will The Sims 3 affect the online community?  (Read 8618 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Magicflute

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2009, 03:05:52 pm »

I've been really intrigued by this question lately: do you think that the Sims 2 community will thrive and stay active or will it gradually fade away like the Sims 1?

The Sims 2 has become such a huge facet of life for a lot of people, and I'm positive that many individuals will stay with Sims 2 and not cross over. I plan on getting the Sims 3 when it comes out, but it makes me not want to when I think about the split that it may cause in the community, perhaps even on this forum.  Cry

At the same time, I'm excited by the potential of this game. If the game turns out to be wonderful, do you think the community will eventually just transfer over to the new game?

MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 05:43:48 am »

Actually, there are a lot of Sims 2 players who are not getting Sims 3 for any number of reasons: the past misdeeds of EA, the linkage of EA with TSR, the way EA is handling their CC, etc.
That means there will be tons of people who will still play the Sims 2, and want the CC from various free creators, especially since it looks like EA is locking down the CC for the moment until someone breaks the game down to make the tools to make CC free.
That might take a while-and many people just don't want to bother to buy new computers to run it, either.

I think a community split will not develop until those tools are made and CC is available. Many people are also just waiting and seeing what happens when it is released before they jump off the fence.

Sims 2 will stick around for a long time, and I personally think it will continue to thrive until Sims 3 surpasses it in quality and content. From what I've seen, it doesn't.

Sims 2 did do a number to Sims 1 because it was a major step forward in game development-and it was an improvement on gameplay.

Sims 3 doesn't seem to do much better, from all that I've read, really. It's a tweaking of the game, not a major step forward.

skavenhorde

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 07:36:32 am »

I feel pretty much the same as MaryH. The Sims2 was a major step foreward when compared to The Sims 1. Gameplay as well as graphics. The thing about The Sims 2 is it can compete graphically with today's games and imo The Sims 3. The sims 1 just can't in any way (don't bite my head off please Wink)

I'll be holding off buying it for awhile at least until some major expansion packs are released. EA's track record for the first release is that they leave A LOT out for future expansions. This is just for The Sims games. EA's record in other genres is even worse. I am a diehard CRPG player and what they have done to my beloved genre is beyond disgust. The biggest example to any RPG fan is Ultima 9.

It seems EA is finally doing to The Sims what they have done to my genre. Making as much money as possible without any regard to their customers. Seriously, is it nessary to make a "Store" like Pogo at The Sims homepage when they release tons of expansions in addition to the Stuff Packs. Worldwide they must make a ton on those little stuff packs. I live in Taiwan and it is just as popular here as it is in America or Europe. Heck, I buy my Sims games at a little tiny hobby store down the street. They basically just carry a few of the most popular shooters and every Sims 2 game/stuff pack.

Well at least The Sims 2 is still a great game when modded of course  Grin
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:43:57 am by skavenhorde » Logged
Casual Dude

Happy suiside.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 01:52:38 pm »

Sims 2 will stay of course! I mean, people who invested on loads of expansions arn't gonna give up that easily for a new and *cough*crappier one!

I sure hope it stays though...  Undecided

I deleted my whole damn downloads. Big mistake :@
lewisb40
Sims 3? Yeah, I like it.

Hard Poop!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 05:01:50 pm »

I was very excited for Sims 2 cause all the new interactions and the aging issue. Sadly after playing a vanilla game for a month, I would get bored and play the original game, Sims 1. I would continue to play vanilla for 2 yrs, before finding out about CC. When I got new gameplay from the mods and CC, the interest in the Sims 2 was greatly increased. Also I was enjoying the EP's that came out.

I really love my Sims 2 game and don't think I will give it up. (I never say never) Sims 3 needs a little more to it (like mods and CC, also EPs) for me to get excited. The only thing that may peak my interest is the seamless community.

With that said, I have learned, met, and enjoyed the Sims 2 community. I never joined the Sims 1 community, cause I never knew it's existence.  Undecided  I think the Sims 2 community will continue on, til EAxis makes Sims 3 just as interesting.  Grin

Michael J. Jackson - Best Entertainer in the World! 1958-2009  Sleep in Peace, Dear Prince.
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 07:22:47 pm »

Perhaps EA will continue the sims 2. Microsoft had to eat their words and extend the life of XP after Vista turned out to be a dud, the same could well happen with sims 3.
Both Vista and sims 3 have one thing in common, both have online facilities to check if your pc can run it.
I personally believe the sims 2 will be around for a very long time and may even mature into something better.
Sims 3 could well turn into a colossal flop, all the indicators are there.
I think those who do get sims 3 will also hang onto their sims 2 and play that in parallel, or perhaps even shelf their sims 3 and revert back to sims 2.
EA is trying to improve on something thats perfect, what I've seen from the various screen shots of sims 3 it has fallen well short.
Sorry, the various artists in the sims community have made the game perfect. I highly doubt if these same artists will ever be able to do the same for sims 3. That alone should  make the game far less popular than sims 2.
To compare sims 1 to sims 2 is unrealistic. Sims 2 was an incredible improvement, not just in true 3d, but in game play, characters, and modding possibilities.
I certainly don't see sims 3 as an improvement, as for the new features, well it's nothing that could not have been written into sims 2.
No, I don't think the present community will disappear as in siims 1. Sims 2 is a true adult game (take no notice of those idiots at tsr. insisting that it's a teen game).
I believe it was the adult mods that made the game and contributed hugely to its popularity. The proposed enormous difficulty in doing the same with sims 3 and not to mention putting oneself into the unlawful class if it can be done will probably insure that it bombs out.

I used the vista/sims 3 comparison as both have several things in common.Both are designed to sell something new, both tend to mislead people in what their systems are truly capable of. and as proven with vista, I don't think it will meet peoples expectations. The private comments that many people will make when they start using it will be similar  as in vista. "what the hell is this?" Why can't I do this?" and "why did I waste my money on this s--t?"
SimCoffee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 01:17:51 am »

Quote from: Roerzrman
Sims 2 is a true adult game (take no notice of those idiots at tsr. insisting that it's a teen game). I believe it was the adult mods that made the game and contributed hugely to its popularity.

So true. Also, the Sims 3 will have various shaped Sims, but will they look like the fantastic muscle men like SBB (Slim Body Builder) and Huge BB like Beosboxboy created, or busty, well developed hips and behind like Warlok, DL Muslow, Frannie and the shapes by other creaters? Undoubtedly they'll be barbie sims, but will the Sims 3 allow for creators to make them anatomically correct?

No way in the world would it keep my interest if they don't have the above. If they have good sense and want keep half of their consumers - the half over 18 with purchasing power to buy the games for themselves - they'll hire Beos, Warlok, DL Muslow, etc and pay them well to make the game appealing to adults with their great body shaping talents. I hope they read this and take the advice to heart.
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 04:49:04 pm »

Sims 2 is a true adult game (take no notice of those idiots at tsr. insisting that it's a teen game). I believe it was the adult mods that made the game and contributed hugely to its popularity.

So true. Also, the Sims 3 will have various shaped Sims, but will they look like the fantastic muscle men like SBB (Slim Body Builder) and Huge BB like Beosboxboy created, or busty, well developed hips and behind like Warlok, DL Muslow, Frannie and the shapes by other creaters? Undoubtedly they'll be barbie sims, but will the Sims 3 allow for creators to make them anatomically correct?

No way in the world would it keep my interest if they don't have the above. If they have good sense and want keep half of their consumers - the half over 18 with purchasing power to buy the games for themselves - they'll hire Beos, Warlok, DL Muslow, etc and pay them well to make the game appealing to adults with their great body shaping talents. I hope they read this and take the advice to heart.

The way I interpret the EULA, that would be a no no.
VampyrMuffinMan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 09:08:56 pm »

The way I interpret the EULA, that would be a no no.

I'd love to take their EULA and re-write it, then check the box and send them a copy of what I agree to...  You know...like a real legal document.

Check out my HubPages for useful computer tutorials.  [link under wolfie]
twinklelilstar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 09:25:21 pm »

I do plan on buying The Sims 3 when it comes out, but I am definitely not giving up The Sims 2. I've been playing it for a couple years, and I only discovered CC about 4 months ago. (What a loser, right?I absolutely love the community and I have actually created some CC...(Not uploaded I'm too afraid everyone will hate it.)

I think The Sims 3 will have some problems that they'll have to fix, but I'm still looking forward to the game. I agree with what some people have already said (about the CC), EA will have to do something about that =)

The Sims 2 community will without a doubt still be strong (if not stronger) after the release of The Sims 3.

"You said forever, who knew forever was so short?"

Anju's story
Sim Pictures!

chris626

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 10:54:33 pm »

I doubt that the Sims 2 Community is going to dissapear. There are so many different communities and sites for everything to go to loss
I myself plan on buying the game but I don't believe it'll win me over and ill fall in love with it like I did with The Sims 2 lol  Grin
After a couple of hours of play I'll most likely shut it down and run The Sims 2  Rock
Especially with the horrid maxis skins and eyecolours it comes with
crazywonderful

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 01:59:15 pm »

I don't think there are going to be online communities for The Sims 3 right off the bat. I think that Sims 2 communities will just add a Sims 3 board. I don't think that people will transition as quickly to Sims 3 as they did to Sims 2.
Magicflute

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 09:54:27 am »

I think there will be online communities at first, but not necessarily new ones. That would probably take a while. I think the Sims 2 forums may just morph into the Sims 3 eventually. Or perhaps just split from them.

kinnika

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 05:07:42 pm »

I've been really intrigued by this question lately: do you think that the Sims 2 community will thrive and stay active or will it gradually fade away like the Sims 1?

Looks like you and I were somewhat being telepathetic, Magicflute. I started a very similar post in "General Sims 2 Discussion" called "No Death for Sims 2". Check it out...

I think the Sims 2 forums may just morph into the Sims 3 eventually.

This is what my post was almost "protesting". We, at the InSimenator were hoping and were re-assured that this site would not morph to going Sims 3. This makes me happy. Any other site wants to support the 3rd - they're free to do so.

Perhaps EA will continue the sims 2. Microsoft had to eat their words and extend the life of XP after Vista turned out to be a dud, the same could well happen with sims 3.
Both Vista and sims 3 have one thing in common, both have online facilities to check if your pc can run it.

Lol, no kidding, reorzman. You know, I heard that PC will drop XP for Vista. That would be a big mistake one would think, especially since they had so many problems with it. Did they just recently change their minds?

I absolutely love the community and I have actually created some CC...(Not uploaded I'm too afraid everyone will hate it.)

Hey, you never know what people will like here. We like all kinds of CC.

"[T]here's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing[.]"; Hence: There are a lot of great Sims stuff out there for free that are just as good as name brands you pay for!

So please, take note: http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 08:20:22 pm »

Kinnika, Xp. is still being supported by Microsoft until such a time that win.7 takes hold. The win.7 beta was released in January for evaluation and will replace both xp and vista. The good news is that unlike vista you will not need any hardware upgrade$. Even better news it boots quicker than xp and any old pc that's running xp. will run even better on win.7
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: