Insimenator.org
April 29, 2024, 07:16:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop closing posts too soon...  (Read 10377 times)
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic.
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 10:13:02 am »

Click on the blue word "Quote" on the top right side of the post of the person you want to quote in a thread.  This is a question I was always too embarrassed to ask.  I finally got up the nerve with a friendly member to ask this same question a few months after lurking so I completely understand Cheesy

Don't want to send your thread off-topic but your pm inbox was full Wink .

Sims by Dasi:

kinnika

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 10:28:55 am »

Hey, thanks. Guess I'll have to empty that, then.

"[T]here's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing[.]"; Hence: There are a lot of great Sims stuff out there for free that are just as good as name brands you pay for!

So please, take note: http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 10:34:21 am »

Don't blame Joy for locking the InTEEN threads, I'm the one that normally does it without even thinking. If someone wants to inform the person that asks for it, there is the PM function. This is a PG-13 site and I do not see how having a mod that allows teen pregnancy is in keeping with that policy. Plain and simple, it's one of those topics that are as unwanted and hot button as the pay/free site debate and being as we don't like to keep putting out the brush fires, we sweep up the tinder and get rid of it.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 10:58:20 am »

skavenhorde:
The biggest problems facing our hobby (pc games) are pirates (I'm not talking about that other one that deals with sims content, that is a whole other can of worms that I support wholeheartily) but real pirates who steal stuff and make it available through torrents or other means and now TV shows. When exactly does this free sharing of paid products stop?

Just for the record, I, too, am against piracy. They ruin entertainment for the rest of us.

Let's not bring the free/pay and pirate/anti pirate debate into this ok?

As for the serial number bit, once again that was a thread I locked down. Honestly, it's hard to not feel like I'm being put under a bullseye here, even though I know that's not necessarily the case. If I remember correctly, she was looking for the seriel code for one of the later EPs, and they're on the book, not on the CD case or CD. She was asking for someone to share their code with them, which is illegal. We can't do that and we can't be a part of that here. It unfortunate you couldn't pm her and, I understand you wanted to pass on some helpful information, but the fact that she was asking for something illegal was the matter at hand. I told her to contact EA Games about it and locked the thread as I, or any other moderator or admin was obligated to do.

And now I'm confused a bit about what you're saying about the InTeen and InSim threads. Are you say I lock them without telling them where to find them? It reads that way. In my defense, and at the risk of sounding petty, I do point people in the right direction before locking the thread. I understand it's frustrating to get your thread locked, but at least being told where you can find the answers you need and get the support you need can take the sting out a bit and I honestly believe that being frustrated about seeing another post regarding something we clearly state we don't support at all is no excuse for me to be rude. I wouldn't appreciate the rudeness from someone else, so what gives me the right? However, I'm not perfect, so I can only do my best.

Oh and kinnika, here's one more hint about inserting quotes. When you're typing your reply and you think of another post you want to reference, scroll down the page and you should see the last 20 or so posts (depending on the post lengths it can be greater or lesser) and at the top right hand corner is a little clickable phrase "insert quote". Click it and that post with be quoted in the body of your text. That way you can hit the "Quote" button in the post button you want to quote, and as you type if there's another post you want to quote, scroll down to find it at hit the "insert quote" button.

SMF can be sneaky sometimes Wink

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
kinnika

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 11:20:14 am »

Paden - Whoa, I'm not blaming Joy for anything. And also, Joy asked me early on in this post what specific posts I was talking about. And so I told her. I'm not trying to make this a big fight. Plus, I believe that I wrote I understand why Inteen questions are not supported here. However, in the same post, I did also mention that it would just be courteous to direct them where to go. That's all.

Joy - Seriously you aren't being put under the bullseye. I'm just trying to answer your question of what posts I was talking about being closed too soon. I have no intention of drawing blood here, honest.

As for the booklet, thank you for letting me know. That was a simple misunderstanding in which I was going to, and should have now thinking about it, added that "if I am wrong about the serials being on the back panel in later EP's, disregard this." So, I could have clarified that early on to avoid any confusion. And yes, as I've mentioned before, I understand it was illegal and you were well within your rights to lock it for those reasons. So, that post was clarified and so hopefully, this post issue is finished.

No offense, guys, but I feel my entire posts weren't thoroughly read or they were misconstrued, lol. I do understand sometimes its hard to get messages across from just typing them out. Joy - I posted this in my last post:

However, I do think that just being courteous to others and at least letting them know where to find Inteen, as opposed to just stating "Inteen isn't supported here" and locking it right away (as I've seen you do, Joy, but not others) is best

What I meant to say was that YOU show others where to go, Joy, but OTHERS don't. At least I tried to state it that way. Apologies if it wasn't that clear. I just put that statement in the wrong place, I guess. Also, I meant that to be a general statement. I really wouldn't like to get into the nitty-gritty of who did what when witch-hunt here. This wasn't my intention of bringing this issue to the table.

And yes, we are on the same page about the "rudeness" issue.  Okay

BTW, thanks for more tips  Wink

"[T]here's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing[.]"; Hence: There are a lot of great Sims stuff out there for free that are just as good as name brands you pay for!

Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 03:06:06 pm »

Thing is, life would be much simpler if people would read those locked stickies when they first get here, such at this one, because it tells people exactly where to go to find that mod. There are a couple of them in various places on the site, too. In a perfect world, everyone would read the stickies... *sigh*

DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 03:51:06 pm »

What I meant to say was that YOU show others where to go, Joy, but OTHERS don't. At least I tried to state it that way. Apologies if it wasn't that clear. I just put that statement in the wrong place, I guess.
And yes, we are on the same page about the "rudeness" issue.  Okay

BTW, thanks for more tips  Wink

This I understood but wasnt sure Joy did.   The way it was phrased could have gone either way but I tend to err on the side of caution by going with the nicer meaning...Smiley.   Iagree with you Kinnika.  Joy has often said "find it here" before closing threads.

Now I have a puzzling issue for me.  If you read many of my posts I do state clearly that the InSim mod "is not supported" but I go on to qualify that statement with a solid clarification on what that means, direction to the appropriate place and offer to help where I can.  

Yes I want people to find things for themselves and not be spoon fed or lead around by the nose. What I have learned to do rather that posting a billion new times, is to go back to old relevant threads of mine and update the info by editing.  That way if a topic I asked about in the past went unanswered (or was unsatisfactorily answered) & I learn more about it or resolve it, the answer is there for the next less experienced newcomer or curious longtime player.

Honestly Paden, lol, I missed that inSim sticky several times...for the life of me I kept losing it Titter.  Ok call me the great cat of no memory... Tee Hee
So here's my question:

I am in full agreement on the inTeen issue but am a confused about the inSim thing.  I do NOT view inSim the way I do inteen.   I love inSim in my game.  Simblender is great but it just isn't as convenient for me.  I just feel at times there is such an air of hostility surrounding the mod that people get snapped at for merely inquiring about it.  I remember a few posts where it was clear (to me) that the person was totally confused.

See they (this happened to more that one person) had come to ask if this was InSim community and though they were answered "Yes" when they followed up with "Great! where do I dl the inSimenator?"--they got smacked with "not here!! it's not supported! Try simblender it's better anyway" & in one case was told that the inSim mod would break their game or cause it to have problems.  

That last one was particularly disingenuious to me. First of all confusing people looking for the community that houses the mod by telling them to look for it but dont ask here is not going to be helpful or provide any clarity.  What happens is you get the same question in different threads on the same site that have to be closed time and again because people went to google for insimenator found the old site, got zip, found us, tried to figure if we were the right community, asked about the mod, got told no, lather rinse repeat ad nauseaum.

In the end when it is found on our forum, makes it seem like those of us who knew it was here but said "we don't support it were" either:  
                       A.  Being purposefully vague which leads to confusion
                       B.  Being obnoxiously rude for no reason
                       C.  Playing find it yourself with a noob
                       D.  Houses it but is ashamed of a perfectly good mod
                       E.  ??wth is up with your so-called "friendly community?" Jerks

I am confident that none of the above impressions are the intended nor desired outcomes for any visitor to our site.  So my concern is about moderation that might spawn more WCIF questions than desired or that confuses potential members.  So I am sincerely asking—please help me understand.

This is the home of the Mod (isn't it?) however unsupported it may be and it is a mod that many enjoy using.   I know it's creator's massive Fail and the junk it brought down on our community, but in all fairness it never was about him for me.

The InSim Community I got to know was void of them long before they ditched.  So I don't blame the creation for having an unscrupulous maker.  No flames plz on this issue.  I'm really just trying to understand not point fingers or debate. Is it ok to say that this is the home of the (unsupported) mod or not?

Hug Love n Hugs  & thanks for answering  Hugs Fanku

Sims by Dasi:

kinnika

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 04:59:36 pm »

DeSpecial1:
What happens is you get the same question in different threads on the same site that have to be closed time and again because people went to google for insimenator found the old site, got zip, found us, tried to figure if we were the right community, asked about the mod, got told no, lather rinse repeat ad nauseaum.

Have to say this, although, I am not a moderator. That was funny. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Also, you have a good point on the vagueness issue. I lost my Insim (don't ask) and had to download it again, even if it was unsupported. I love my Insim, too. I can't imagine the Sims without it. In fact, I love it so much, I just might be willing to stop adding EP's to wherever Insim stopped supporting the game.

And you're right about people smacking down even the idea or consideration of someone not downloading it, just because its not supported. This site, though, does carry the mod. If we tell people that we don't support Inteen, they might ask us where it is on our site, lol.

You would think that I would think of something like that, but I didn't.

It does only take a few seconds to help a newbie out. I don't mind doing it if I have the time. It's kind of a challenge to me. Course, I just like helping people.

Okay, so I'm going to sit on the side-lines now and let a moderator respond. I just wanted to tell you, you have a good point.

P.S. I tried doing the quote, I ended up quoting the entire post! I'll keep trying.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 05:05:46 pm by kinnika » Logged

Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 05:12:55 pm »

I use the mod, I love the mod to be honest. I have no problem with telling anyone where to find the thing, either. It's unsupported because no one is going to update it or work on it again. We can't guarantee that it won't bork up anyone's game, another reason why we say it's unsupported. I guess some of us are just so used to the silly thing being right there on the index page that we don't realize that folks could overlook it.

I don't mean to get snappy, I don't mean to get rude. I'm a pretty blunt and plainspoken person, and don't always figure that someone could construe my responses as rude when they aren't intended to be so. Then again, I also figure that people will use a search box before starting a whole new thread looking for it because that's the way it usually works on other sites.

P,S,
You can edit out the bits you don't want, so long as the bits you do want stay between the little bracket things, that ones that look like this: []. Just hit backspace or wipe it out with delete, either way it ought to work.

DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 07:19:11 pm »

I promise you many rude answers weren't from moderators.  Seriously it was because it took me several wrong tries (& I'm already here in the community, lol) that I thought well hey if I can't find it no wonder people keep asking.  I'm still mad at all the bookmarks I lost...I had just gotten my fav info pages right when the site melted down Titter.

But really it was just to say a mild "Hey guys I like the InSimenator!" to understand if I was the only one who felt this way and to make sure that I'm following proper site guidelines.    I totally don't mind disclaimer statements but I wanted folks to understand the difference betweeen this "(working) mod is unsupported" & "this mod is crapola--you're nuts if you use it!."

Beer Flower2 Flowers & hugs for allowing me to geta little clarity Cheesy. Cheers

Sims by Dasi:

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 08:18:50 pm »

Like Paden said kinnika, you can edit out the parts of the body of text you do want to include in your quoted text, just so long as the quote codes are left intact Smiley

I enjoyed the Insim mod too, but I choose to use the Simblender mod because it does much of what Insim did and is constantly being updated to add new features and for new EPs. No, it's not as convenient as the insimenator, but I live with it. Insim isn't updated for M&G, so it's not guaranteed to work with it, and I don't want to take that chance (since M&G is a stuff pack, but acts like an EP). We don't support the Insim because, like Paden said, it's not being worked on at all, and we can't guarantee it will continue to work. We host it as a courtesy for the people who want it, with the caveat that we can't guarantee your game is safe with it, and the only advice we can really give you if it's corrupting your game is "take it out". There are so many mods out there that do all the individual things that the Insim mod does. What made the Insim mod so unique was that it took all of those things and combined them into one handy dandy machine. The first time K & E pulled a disappearing act the community did a great job in digging up mods that could be used in place of the Insim until it could be properly updated. No, it wasn't convenient, but it proved my point about what it was that made Insim unique. Not the modifications it made, but putting them all together. 

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Pierre
Retiered from the sims2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2009, 08:24:57 pm »

The first time K & E pulled a disappearing act the community did a great job in digging up mods that could be used in place of the Insim until it could be properly updated. No, it wasn't convenient, but it proved my point about what it was that made Insim unique. Not the modifications it made, but putting them all together. 

Thank you joy

Pierre Wink

Please do not pm me about happysimmers this site has been close now if you need any thing please look up this forum thank youhttp://delightfulsims.net/index.php
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: