Insimenator.org
April 27, 2024, 01:21:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RAR / ZIP downloads  (Read 2026 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
RedWingsFanatic

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2009, 07:35:10 pm »

I know there's a ton of topics asking how to unrar / unzip downloaded custom content, but that's not what I'm here to ask.

Is there some way to rar, zip, compress, etc. custom content files so I can free up space on my computer? I've already deleted all the pictures on my computer but I am still running out of space and I want to be able to save my Sims 2 games!

Please and thanks <3
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 09:52:31 pm »

You should be able to use the same tool you use to uncompress .zip and .rar files to make normal files into .zip or .rar format. (For example, I use and recommend 7-Zip at http://www.7-zip.org .)

But those files will not be able to be read by the game and will not be playable.

For smaller but still usable and playable files, you might try playing with The Compresorizer:

http://forum.jfade.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=170&sid=eff7050df01f3aebff6228e72bfc4de7

Other options include a separate external hard drive (they're often on sale for very reasonable prices therse days) to give you more storage space. If your computer is getting that full, you might want to explore moving some non-Sims content to CD or DVD to free up space as well.
RedWingsFanatic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 04:17:50 pm »

Ok, thank you very much! I don't have a lot of moolah right now so I think I'll try this compresorizerthingamajig Wink
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 05:40:22 pm »

Something I neglected to mention:

Once you have extracted the files from and .zip or .rar, you can delete the .zip or .rar.  The same goes for Sims2Pack files. Once installed, you can delete them.

Also, to free up space get rid of any files in your Downloads folder which are not .package files. Any .jpg, .bmp, .txt, .html or other types of files which might have accompanied custom content - except for .package files - in Downloads are not needed by and are ignored by the game. Those types of extraneous files can be safely deleted.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 03:23:21 pm »

Anything that's not necessary for your game to run, but you still want to keep (the rar/zip files you extracted your cc from for example) can be saved onto a flash drive or CD and deleted from your computer.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: