Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 05:37:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44
  Print  
Author Topic: Important Life Events  (Read 239598 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Mooncat
Nutjob
Site Santa!

I feel pretty, oh so pretty!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #630 on: March 23, 2014, 11:44:43 pm »

I found out some WONDERFUL news the other night! An experimental drug they developed for Friedreich's Ataxia (my disease) is doing so well in the clinical trials, the FDA has granted it the “Fast-Track” status, meaning it could cut YEARS of research and testing from the drug. That means that my disease could be fully treatable before I turn 30 (FYI: I'm 26 right now)!!!!!!!!!  YAY

My baby girl was born on January 22nd, 2014! Smiley Her name is Emma, and she is absolutely perfect! Labor was pretty bad (the worst my mom has ever seen) but she is healthy as am I. She's only a few days old and already sleeps all night waking up only once, and has no jaundice at all! Cheesy
Congrats Katie!!  Yahoo

We got approved for the house loan, now we're in negotiations to get the place and moved out of the hotel where we've been staying for the past (almost) month. We had my mother-in-law foster two of my cats and her husband gave away the male, Plops, without even asking if that was OK with us. Did I ever SCREAM and raise holy... He is under pain of DEATH to keep his stupid hands away from my girl, Squall, or I will emasculate him with a rusty pen knife. (Trust me, I have one ready just in case.) We can't get Plop back because he gave her to an older lady, who happens to have six already! I'm still so dratted mad about that...

Congrats on the loan Paden! And darn!! What in the ever-loving flapdoodles motivated that guy to give YOUR cat away without asking first?!

I mean, really... WHO DOES THAT???!!!

"You are what you love, not who loves you..."
Foxybaby

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 14, 2014, 04:14:22 pm »

And for yet another dramatic Ta-dah! I'm back. again. Lips Sealed

My bubs came early-11 weeks early-on the summer Solstice in 2013. So needless to say, I've not been around at all as previously promised. Lots and lots to catch up on!

So here's Skylar Summer Faith (Summer as she was born on the solstice, Faith because whenever I watched an episode of Buffy-she'd kick, but hubbie vetoed Buffy as well us having faith in the doctors and nurses in NICU). She spent 77 days in NICU and came home 4 days after her due date in September. On the left at 9hrs old, on the right at 9m old  Grin

Hope to catch up with it all soon-before TS4 makes an appearance!  YAY

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #632 on: June 14, 2014, 04:22:24 pm »

Daww!
Good luck with the little one. She's a real cutie!

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 16, 2014, 09:50:41 am »

Congrats to all the new parents and the new lives that are being lived! Sorry I've not been around, but we just got moved into the new house nearly seven months after the rental home was sold out from under us. We spent the whole time out at that motel room, which was more like a studio flat, and the changes in our son are stupendous. He learned how to socialize much better, got used to sleeping in a bed of his own, help with chores in keeping a place picked up and to communicate better without constant frustrations. He also discovered the discomfort of mosquito bites gotten when taken on outs to parks and down near the banks of a river. Still trying to get him to stop scratching at them...

Now that we've moved into the house, he's sleeping in a room all of his very own, helping to load and unload the dishwasher and learning to avoid tripping over an excited kitten. Back in the beginning of March/end of February, we took in a rescue kitty and adopted her as our own, not knowing that she was pregnant. On the night of April 27th, she gave birth to three kittens under his bed. Two of the kittens have gone to their forever homes but we still have Floyd, for now. He'll be going to his home when his human gets home from Albania.

Anyways, I'm getting used to hardwood floors, appliances that work differently from what I've experienced in the past, and a basement that I still get lost in... I look at it this way; if we do get a tornado, we'll at least be able to head down to the basement and be safe in a bit of comfort for once! For the first time since I moved away from where I grew up, at long long last, I feel like I'm HOME. And that says a lot. It's been a great deal of work to get here with the husband and son but now that we're here, just let me say one thing: What a long, strange trip it's been.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 16, 2014, 03:24:40 pm »

Congratulations, Paden, on everything! It's wonderful to find a new place you feel as if you belong in, isn't it? And the changes in your son...amazing is all I can say.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Hannnah
Site Santa!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #635 on: July 17, 2014, 12:47:52 am »

I have one thing to say..... NAWWWWW  Heart
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 07, 2014, 03:19:06 pm »

Finally found a doctor willing to let me have the medication for my thyroid that I've been chasing after since I came down with this stupid disease twenty-four years ago and while it's only been near a week that I've been on it, I'm responding to it quickly and making progress that otherwise had taken six to eight weeks on the synthetic drugs. I'm just hoping the carpal tunnel will relax so I can get busy again on typing up some things I promised to do for a friend! I can type faster than I could before, but still have to take frequent breaks in order to let the ouch factor die down. I'm also trying to locate the rest of my Doctor Who collection, which my mother-in-law snooped through and rearranged in her search for things to take home with her. Yeah, found out she's been liberating things that don't belong to her and she got informed that she isn't welcome in my house for at least six months and the items/cash returned... Such a fun life I lead at times. But, on a more positive note, my son has learned that it can be fun to arrange his toys in various bins to save time in locating them later! Cheesy

DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 10, 2014, 11:36:32 pm »

Congrats to all the new little ones, medical advances & life successes. I'm so glad to have my comp back & live on insim again.

I have to agree with Mooncat on the cat issue—who does that?! And then adds stealing to their repertoire too? Good on you for putting your foot down.   Nice to hear that you've had more good then bad though.  I have yet to get my little one to put her things away Paden, what's your secret? Titter

I've not been feeling up to par lately (watch that carpal tunnel pain Paden before you end up with nerve damage) and as usually happens post a flu shot I feel all achy and feverish—which I always get told is just a coincidence.  The upside is I get to lounge a bit and read up on what I've missed here and play around in body shop.

Sims by Dasi:

Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 15, 2014, 07:47:03 pm »

My guy likes to arrange things in long lines and he's found out that it can be done in his toy bin. We make a game of it to see just how much stuff will fit in without crowding it or being unable to shut the drawers. He also had developed a thing where his school shirts have to be separated from his hack around tee shirts and they all have to be arranged in colour groups and those groups are sub-divided into shades, from brightest to darkest. Let's not even go there when it comes to his underclothing... Cheesy

Katie
0BretttterB0

<3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #639 on: February 03, 2015, 12:12:22 am »

My daughter turned a year old two weeks ago! That's so crazy to think about! I'm the momma of a big kid now! She's not quite walking yet but boy is she talking! She's so smart, it's crazy. I started bringing her to the daycare I work at and she's doing well there... well, besides the sickness. The lead teacher in the room tells me everyday that "she can talk!" and yep, we know! She never stops! Anything you say once she'll repeat. It's unreal. I think she's fully able to walk, she does very well one-handed, but she absolutely refuses to move (or even sometimes stand) once you let go. Stubborn like her momma.

Emma at 11 days old

Emma at 360 days old!

Unfortunately it's been rough since last Tuesday night. She woke herself up with a hacking cough and whooping sounds in between and finally fell back asleep on me. The next day she was fine, barely even coughed. We actually went to the zoo for a bit, only to the inside buildings and such. That night her dad and I (her dad is in town on leave) went to the pediatric after hours clinic at our local hospital where they looked at her and listened to her chest and said that she had a cold and sent us on our way. I was very angry because my mom instincts were telling me it was something more! It progressively got worse. On Thursday she was sent home early from daycare with a 102.4 fever and my parents came and got her and gave her motrin and she was alright just a little crabby. Then Friday her dad watched her for me while I worked and when I got home her fever had dropped to 96.6, which is a dramatic drop and 2 degrees below normal... but within 2 hours it was back to normal. I called the doctor and he said he didn't think it was whooping cough, but gave me a list of things to take her to the ER for. She was fine all night. Finally last night I'd had enough of it all, and the daycare she goes to/I work at was closed for Monday so I told my dad to come get us in the morning and take us in. She woke up twice, the first time she coughed and whooped, the second time she turned beet red and almost vomitted. She'd been coughing badly whenever she was eating and sleeping. My mom thought it sounded like whooping cough (which my sister had had as an infant, and my niece had a while back.) which only further confirmed my suspicions... We went in this morning after she woke up and I packed her things. She wouldn't really eat or drink until dinner tonight, either. They admitted us and did a chest x-ray that came back clean, a breathing treatment, and two nose swabs. One of them came back positive for RSV (a highly- contagious upper respiratory infection with symptoms that did not match hers at all) and the other was for pertusis, the results will come back on Wednesday for that one. They sort-of dismissed me when I told them she may have been exposed to pertusis and hasn't been vaccinated. I actually took a video that I can show if I don't hear back soon. I found several articles online that say that you can get pertusis and RSV together and that pertusis often masks the symptoms of RSV and children often don't get diagnosed with pertusis until the doctors have seen a video or an actual coughing fit. Here's hoping we get this sorted soon! I need to be tested as well for both before I can safely return to working with preschoolers.

Phew.

Additionally, I figured now was as good a time as any to update on the rest of my family, since I haven't posted much about them in a while (very busy with my own little family!) Alright so I don't know how much everyone knows or remembers so let's just cover all the bases.

Clay, my eldest nephew, is eight. He's in third grade. He has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, he currently wears leg braces that go just below his knees, and he's doing very well. He's still ambulatory about 100% of the time and he's doing much better than they predicted a few years back. He's taken to physical and occupational therapy with some crazy kind of fierceness that I have never seen before. They don't see him needing a wheelchair for a couple years yet with the progress he's made! He's one of my favorite little dudes to talk to, as well. Getting a bit "too cool" for me, though.

Jade is in first grade this year, today is her 7th birthday! She's reading a couple of years above most kids in her class, about 20 "levels" based on the new level scale they've picked up. Not too much going on there, just a girl learning a whole lot when she's not having snow days.

Maya is also in first grade, turning 7 in the spring she's doing alright. She's pretty much average at this point. She's really good when it comes to her older brother and any issues he has, she always wants to help. She seems very fascinated by his leg braces. We've caught her a few times playing sick herself or making her barbies sick. She gets embarrassed if we notice, though. Come to think of it, embarrassment becomes a real issue when they are in first grade, Jade gets embarrassed a lot, too.

Evan is in preschool, he's been held back because they didn't think he was socially ready for kindergarten this year and because his birthday falls just after the cutoff anyways. Clay, Maya, and Evan all moved further away a couple years ago so since Emma was born I haven't gotten to see them much. I've heard a rumor recently that they might be moving back this way soon!

Nora is two, she's wild and rambunctious and very dramatic, she stays home with mom all day and I work all day so I only see her on weekends where nobody is sick, and she and Emma have both been sick lately!

AND two of my brothers are getting married this year. The 2nd oldest of us is getting married at the end of September in a very nice refurbished barn 3 hours away, and the 3rd oldest is getting married two weeks later in a really big farmers market close by. Not very good planning, but I love weddings. Rumor has it that Emma and I will be in both! Yeesh!

I think that's all for crazy family news?

Edit- because I forgot to include pictures of my girl! & again to resize images
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:32:37 am by Katie » Logged

Find me on moonlight <3
Hannnah
Site Santa!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: February 04, 2015, 04:16:32 am »

NAW Katie, Emma is gorgeous! SO ADORABLE! <3

Katie
0BretttterB0

<3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #641 on: February 05, 2015, 02:39:39 pm »

Thank you! It's crazy to me how different she looks but still the same! Cheesy

Find me on moonlight <3
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #642 on: July 20, 2015, 03:32:09 pm »

She's so cute, Katie!

I'm an aunt again! My brother's baby girl didn't even bother to wait until they got to the hospital, so she decided to pop out in the ambulance. I'm guessing she's taking after her brothers (and her dad) in the department of patience... Anyway, she's a little cutie-pie, and I can't wait to meet her!
YAY

My site:

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 23, 2015, 12:55:46 am »

All right, so this is something I've been keeping to myself for a long time. I have had Anxiety for as long as I remember. Unfortunately for me, it's a genetic mental disability and will be something I'll deal with for the rest of my life. My mother has it, 2 of my 3 sisters have it, my granny suffered from it and, for all I know, one or both of her parents had it. For the past 15 years it has been terrible. I would wake up in the morning with knots in my stomach, my heart racing and my hands shaking so badly it would make any part of doing my job hard for the first 2 hours. I didn't have very understanding employers, evidenced by how hard it's been for me to hold down a job. Medication didn't work and the side effects just made me feel awful. People don't understand how Anxiety can totally destroy your ability to think critically. It saps away your desire to take part in anything.

A little over 2 months ago I started taking Magnesium for my RLS and discovered a wonderful side effect. It took the crippling edge off my Anxiety. It doesn't remove it. It never will, but I really can't remember the last time I felt thing AMAZING. I've done a lot of research into it and found it's often used as a treatment for people with various Anxiety disorders (along with a lot of other things I didn't know). One of the things that makes this work where chemical medication didn't is my body doesn't recognize it as a foreign thing and try to fight it off. My body recognizes it and opens the door to invite it in. It's been suggested my family is genetically predisposed to magnesium deficiency, which can cause anxiety and depression. Well, who would have thought? The other good things? I haven't had a full blown migraine once since I started taking it, and I used to get them at least once every week or so. 

So that's my good news. Great news, in fact. Even better? I've been open with my bosses at the auction house about this and they have shown the most amazing amount of support and understanding. One of my bosses, in fact, confided in me his own struggles with Anxiety and told me he takes Magnesium on a daily basis as well. It's amazing to feel so amazing, and I'll find myself so overwhelmed with it I'll just burst into tears.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: September 23, 2015, 05:04:29 am »

I don't find that weird at all, Joy.

Anxiety is - put simply - something that triggers the symphatic nerve system, the same system that triggers when you're normal afraid or normal stressed (like being attaced, or faced with an oncoming train - fight or flight). Your system is just a whole lot more sensitive than for other people, and triggers when it's not supposed to.

Anxiety isn't a spesific genetic disorder, although it can imitate being genetic because it often runs in families, and may have on/off switches in genetics (maybe your ancestors' survival was rooted in being more anxious than average, so when they survived, they passed on their gene set). Some families are more sensitive to factors that can contribute to anxiety. It's often more of an environmentally caused disorder, so if parents have anxiety issues, their kids have a higher chance of developing anxiety because they learn the behavior from their parents. One example is phobias. Say, if your mother is very afraid of spiders, and react in front of you every time there's a spider close by, you'll eventually learn that spiders are Very Bad Things, and thereby learn to be afraid of them. Anxiety can also be caused by spesific events, or a series of events. A lot of diseases and disorders can also mimic anxiety (and opposite - an anxiety attack can feel like you're having a heart attack), and can even be the main cause. Lack of vitamins and minerals, intolerance to certain types of foods, and underlying diseases can in some cases be the main reason for mental disorders, like anxiety and depression, because lack of important signal ingredients can potentialy mess up brain signals, and cause bad pathways.

As an example, a friend of our family had severe depression issues in her younger years, and was even in a mental institution for several years, until it was discovered she had thyroid disease (which, if bad enough, can mimic depression). After she started the treatment, she's been functioning well, wwith a family and everything.

I've had issues with lack of various vitamins and minerals (I think it's a family weakness), and a while back my body had pretty much 'run out'. I got depression-like symptoms, and was even diagnosed with depression by a (mostly clueless) doctor. But I was absolutely sure it wasn't really depression. I had other issues, and knew depression wasn't the main problem - it was the result of the underlying problems. There's a fine line there, and an important line. Lots of people forget that, particularly doctors. They just treat the symptoms and often aren't that concerned with what the actual underlying issues are.

(See, I'm not completely clueless about anxiety and depression for my exam, even if my brain likes to think it is XD)

After I'm done with my exam, I'm (yet again) going to try myself on work practice. Crossing fingers and toes that I sail through it this time, without my health issues butting in and making a fuss again.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 05:16:52 am by Theraven » Logged

My site:

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44
  Print  

Jump to: