Insimenator.org
April 29, 2024, 06:11:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphics Card Suggestions  (Read 3835 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« on: May 10, 2009, 01:54:32 pm »

I've now reached the point where my now 2 year old Radeon Graphics Card ain't cuttin' the mustard with all of the new stuff I have on my PC. (Namely Poser 7, a 3D rendering software I use for my graphic designs.) So my question is what kind of GFX Cards do you guys have, or would recommend? I'm looking specifically for something low-end, anywhere between I'll say $80-$130. It doesn't have to be MONGO, just functional. Something that's PCI Express that supports Pixel Shader 2.0. If anyone has info I'll be greatly appreciative.

Aaroneous

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 03:19:48 pm »

I have had pretty good luck with nvidia and xfx cards, Especially any of nvidia cards under the 5 series and 7 series. I currently have xfx 7600 gs, I bought it a few years ago at the time it was about 100$. Now it's closer to 60$. It currently supports Pixel Shaders 3 and below. I would how ever recommended not getting anything higher then 7 series right now. Everything above that is basically top of the line hardware, That and some the cards currently have hardware problems. Of course with any video card you want to make sure your system supports it.

(Banner By Sugah)
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 03:21:16 pm »

I'd recommend Nvidia. Don't know if that brand would support the specs you have, but I have an Nvidia GE Force 7300 GT.

Nice card, and it has its' own memory on the card. I've seen that it goes for about $80-100 retail.

Actually any Nvidia of the higher speeds would probably be good, if it's compatible with your computer.

kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 04:58:48 pm »

Well I'm running a Dell Optiplex GX150, which is about as low-bar a Dell as you can get these days. I actually have 2 cards in the PC, 1 is a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX4000, the other is a Radeon X1300 series. I wouldn't be able to tell you which is actually doing the work, but my display output is pretty damn good so I'm not complaining. I'll definite check out the makes you guys suggested when I hit up Best Buy tomorrow.

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 07:17:43 pm »

The nvidea geforce 9600 gt is rated as one of the fastest budget cards around. Retails for aprox $160 Aus.
You are saying you are running two cards. Have you considered running them as true dual card system, they need to be the exact same make and then physically bridged. you then can combine both gpus. thereby effectively doubling your graphics power.
Just need to keep an eye on the size of the pcs. psu. 450+ watts should be ok. for a couple of low end cards. I personally would recommend 600+ to keep the temp. down.
alesukm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 06:40:45 pm »

i'm running nvidia geforce 8800 GT OC has 512 mb ddr3 onboard. It will run sims2 all out in the graphics area and the best part, I picked it up for about $75 cdn. on sale at future shop. They've put out the 9000 series since then but if all you're wanting to play are simulation games like this or any of the tycoon games (rollercoaster, mall, zoo) this card will eat them up and ask for more. It is also capable of doubling up with a jumper if you need more for your world of warcraft style games. great bang for your buck.
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 07:56:11 pm »

8800 is the way to go. just check how much room you have, they're about 10" long, 12" for the bigger cards, don't get caught out, and don't forget your power supply, make sure you have a minimum of 450. 8800s also require a separate power supply for the fan. Make sure your psu. has a spare cable.
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 08:11:36 pm »

After putting a power source of 1000 watts into my game computer, 450 sounds awfully puny... Grin

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 10:10:26 pm »

Mmm, just like me. I build my own nowadays, at least I get what I want and need. I stopped buying them of the shelf years ago. 1000 watt is becoming the norm now with high end gaming pcs. but 450+ will still get you by as long as you keep an eye on the power consumption what you install.
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 12:44:12 am »

Oh, my game comp is two years old and I'm still not done putting new goodies into it. I likes being able to play without having to worry if I'm gonna see the fish or not. I like to watch the fish now and then. What can I say, it's a cat thing...

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
saowens
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 07:39:30 am »

I'm with you on that Paden. Over kill is a very good thing in the gaming world. I like to build my systems so they last a couple of years with out any hardware updating. I do get side tracked by the new shiny things once in a while though.  Cheesy

I'll definite check out the makes you guys suggested when I hit up Best Buy tomorrow.

Kaoz you should do some looking on the web for a card. Buying retail is just asking to pay too much. You can get them brand new and a lot cheaper from a site like Ebay. You get the same warranty. I've never had an issue with returning a D.O.A. either. Just make sure you buy from someone with a good rating that has an Ebay store and you should be fine.

The last card I purchased was an Nvidia 8800 with 1 gig of ram. Brand new still in the box and less than $70 u.s. including shipping.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: