Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 10:30:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Having a sims with CC and other worries...  (Read 26919 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Jenna
Queen of Spamming
Admin

Who farted?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:08:40 pm »

Do remember their primary customers shall be the residents of the BBS.

...I shouldn't need to say more about that. Hah.

Quote from: Engram
Jenna and I make cute babbiez! LOL
Quote from: Isadora
Great, another night of chicken chair typing.
kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 11:22:33 pm »

I doubt you'll have to drop that much green to get an item, Roerz. But when talking about EA, who even knows anymore. I can pretty much confirm that with the advent of the Sims Installer, which as Roerz stated is the only means of which you'll be able to get CC onto your game, that pretty much 100% nails down what I and people like Pescado have been saying for months...

There will be NO custom imported meshes.

No body shapes. No funky, abstract furniture. No imported car models. Nothing. The only new meshes you'll see are the ones EA makes. Same thing goes for skintones, hair styles, the work. If you're one of the people who don't care for CC as I've said numerous times before "If it don't apply, let it fly". But I'll say about 65-70% of the people here on imsim DO. There wouldn't be as large a database of CC on this site if no one was using it, all of which is easy to share. EA's made it their business to make TS3 CC UNEASY to share and even more impossible import across separate PCs. Thus monopolizing CC distribution to benefit their own pockets. And who can we blame for this? The sheep that actually subscribed to sites like TSR and actually made it a place that held weight over the last 6 years. If it's someone who makes their own site with their own content and takes donations like Rosesims or Lianasims2, that I can totally understand and vouch for, because they're doing it on their own terms, so you know exactly where your donation is going. Whereas over on TSR we really don't know where the hell it's going, though with TS3 content we do...right in EA's pocket, with a little kickback to TSR for hosting the files and the creators for making it. That my friends is wrong. It might not be illegal, but it sure as hell should be.

In the long run, the CC issue was one of the two main reasons I wrote this game off. If I can't import my own stuff into the game, I don't want it. The Sims Installer nixes that from ever happening, as well as eliminates their ever being a SimPE or Clean Installer like program created by a mod because it would have to bypass the Sims Installer, which would be against copyright. So the CC issue goes WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY beyond not just being able to import meshes. You have to set the game up exactly how EA tells you to do, you have to play it with only what they offer, and as for user created CC, it'll either be slapped on The Exchange or TSR or other such places, and if not, you still can only import using an internal installer, not an external one like Clean Installer, meaning that for future EPs, if you download something and don't have the EP needed to make it work, you can't use it unless you get that EP. More cash in EA's pocket. Any noticing a trend here?

Skaarjy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 12:02:26 am »

To quote myself in another thread...
Unless it becomes modable, I can see Sim2 outliving Sims 3 LOL
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 12:24:25 am »

Hah! I now know the meaning of gross stupidity, 144 paysite subscribers.
But yea Kaoz this very subject got me into a hell of a s--t fight at the adult site some months ago, Predicting the same exact thing and all I got was demands for proof, and accusations of rumormongering. Well the proof is there now,, and now it's almost to late. The only saving grace now is that someone has leaked the game prematurely and that gives the sane minority an opportunity to pick it apart and give the fence sitters a taste of what they are really in for.
But to constantly fork out for pixels that you once got free?? And the best part is that because it is EA. supplied it will probably be encrypted so no burning it to disc as a back up.(you'll know then if they included securom)
Crash your pc. and go to EA. with a sob storey and wait for the reply, that's if they even bother.
Nah that's just total insanity.
I recently downloaded an entire game, several gigs. The Delta Sector, a stand alone game that only requires the Farcry installation disc to run. Free, legit, incredibly detailed, and in my opinion even better graphics than the original. It would probably sell like cold beer on a hot day if put for sale. All the authors wanted was a thank you and recognition.
And those shonks at EA. are asking $5 for a piece of furniture?
Pardon me while I go walkabout in the Gobi desert for a couple of months. This whole sims scene is going to hell in a handbasket full speed ahead and all the moronic paysite lemmings are scampering after it singing EAs praises.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 12:27:50 am »

Well, there are people stupid enough to spend hundreds of dollars and more for custom content.  It's happening now with TS2.  Why should TS3 be any different?
kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 01:03:24 am »

It won't be, and that's what makes things sad. The fact that even with the cold, hard facts out and all over the net you still have gullible people who will still try and make an argument to defend the integrity of the release and all of EA's practices and plans leading up to and past the "official" release of the game. But notice how all of the people who were in this section playing devil's advocate AREN'T so adamant to defend the game now? What happened to that passionate enthusiasm that TS3 would surpass and and be a better game overall then TS2? What happened to the people who said they were sick of TS2 and ready to move on to the new game? Where has their input gone to the latest news and facts presented? But even considering the fact that the collective air got let out of the balloon and most of those folks will probably never set foot in the section again, they'll still go get the game regardless, because these are the folks who actually have to see, touch and smell a piece of crap in order to believe it's stinks. And those are the ones EA will make tons of green off of, be it CC, the impending EPs, SPs and so on. All stuff that is free of charge for TS2. This is a mess that's only gonna take months to make, and years to clean up. Between the CC issue, the apparent false info of the technical specs of the game, the DRM issue and all the rest of the crap that's come along with the game, it hardly seems worth it. But it's going to take some people actually walking on the alcohol soaked glass shards to realize they probably shouldn't have. Power to the people who still plan on buying it, you must have some strong stomachs to endure the crap you're gonna be facing with the game the next year or so.

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 01:59:30 am »

The chances of me buying the thing are those of an ice cream dog in hell, and even less for paying for CC.
In the mean time I will sit here with a very politically incorrect cigarette, a glass of scotch and  look forward to reading all the please helps, if onlys I, why did I waste my moneys and why does my pc. crash every time whens that are gonna flood this site in two weeks time.
No doubt some of the replies are gonna be screamers.
kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 02:12:32 am »

At least we don't have to worry about there being a WCIF section for TS3. All the mods have to do is post in big, bold letters a link to The Sims Store...LMAO!!! And you know for a fact there's gonna be plenty of "Need help posts". If I may, I can give the best bit of help for anyone right here, right now. Play The Sims 2.

And on that note, I'm off to bed. It's 3:12am and my pills are starting to kick in. Tongue

Deviancy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 03:26:14 am »

I think I've said it in other threads, but those threads may be on other sites Wink.

Isn't this a good thing for those who prefer TS2?

There's still a lot that can be done with TS2.  There's still quite a few of Warlokks bodyshapes that haven't really been hit heavy with custom outfits, that can kill time for those who like to create.  There's still a number of animations the few that do ts2 animations could do.  And I'm still cranking out quite a few conversions over at Back Alley and sometimes this sites "sister" site. 

Don't get me wrong, Ts3 looks nice.  I like the free roaming, can't say I don't.  But without CC, the Sims is a G rated game.  And I doubt very many of us here are under the age of 12, or like being coddled by a company that treats us as if we're under the age of 12 and have a thick wallet or a healthy bank account.

lewisb40
Sims 3? Yeah, I like it.

Hard Poop!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 04:22:26 am »

Even tho I am arrging the game, I will still be playing Sims 2. I bought all of the EPs and SPs I have, just learned to recolor, and learning to mesh. Still enjoy playing my families and seeing them grow.

I am just curious about the Sims 3 and since it's in an infancy, I don't want to boo it without some real knowledge. It will never have my loyalty if EA wants to shut the modders and creators out by ending the ability to make our own CC. I am a hard core simmer.  Evil  What I have seen, they need help in CC department, cause the sims are downright funny looking. They need help from head to toe, and the furnishing is downright boring.

I hope the build mode will keep me happy.  It does have some great asthetics.

Michael J. Jackson - Best Entertainer in the World! 1958-2009  Sleep in Peace, Dear Prince.
kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 02:30:21 pm »

I'll give it that, the build mode does look good. But the game's called The Sims 3, not The Builds 3, lol. The CC issue is a big reason, if not THE reason I'm personally put off my the game. You can only import content using the Installer, which nixes any 3rd Party (AKA User created) content ever making it into the game. What's actually considered CC in TS3 is recoloring default items. No new meshes, just coloring over EA ugliness. And anyone that "has" the game, answer me this, what kind of texture options do you have onto top of the color wheel? Can you change a shirt from looking like it's cotton based to Nylon based? Can you make make a flower pot that looks to have a Hawaiian design look more like a Mediterranean piece? I didn't think so. THAT'S the kind of customization I look for. The kind that is easily done on TS2, but impossible on TS3. I need more then a color wheel and a few crappy texture choices. I want to be able to put tribal designs on my Tees. I want to be able to make my Ed Hardy shirts. I want to be able to have my Nigerian themed pottery. Will we ever see such things on TS3? Not a chance. I want to be able to make the game and the neighborhood and all things in it fit my personal tastes and style, not EA's. So for those who don't need their own personal stamp on their hoods, enjoy the content EA will dangle in front of you looking for your monetary contributions for. You'll probably get a few decent items. But when you have to choose between filling your car with gas or getting that new couch, I think I know which way I'd go. I guess someone forgot to inform EA that America's in a recession right now, and most of the rest of the world is doing marginally better fiscally as well. And if you've got the disposable income to be shelling out 3-5 dollars per download on The Exchange for EA's CC, you should be doing something more productive with your cash...seriously.

abaris

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 03:33:59 pm »

I just want to say as they say in my language (Rien n'est impossible)[ Translation nothing is impossible] so things may change

But why should it be possible? We're dealing with real life here - real business life that is. EA isn't your benevolent big brother. They, as any other gaming company, are out for your wallet. And they, like any other gaming company, sell a quality on initial release that would earn, let's say, a car vendor a court appointment. They expect you to pay for the patches they provide sooner or later. You pay by buying something half baked, bug ridden with limited rights.

And by introducing their so called copyright protection, they walk a very fine legal line. As I said before, that copyright protection tools are nothing but a bad joke. Cracked within hours by people who know their stuff. But they're a pain in the hindparts of every honest buyer and these nice tools also reverse the pillars of our society: Innocent until proven guilty. For them you are the perpetrator and deserve to be treated as such until you have proven you have the right to fire up their crap. If that is impossible on your rig, because their software conflicts with some of your other installments, well bugger off. They already have your 50+ Euros or Dollars and that's all that matters.

And last but not least, they are the ones determining how you want to use your purchase. They want you to open your wallet once again for stuff you don't really need and close the door on those fellows providing that same stuff and much more for free.

How's that for a deal? And all in one shiny package. Doesn't matter if the contence of said package is very similiar to what my dog drops on a regular basis.
Deviancy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 03:44:32 pm »

Let us say hypothetically, someone cracks this "installer" thing people keep referring to.  And lets say that after it is cracked, we can get CC in.  Well that's dandy and all but what'll happen is a new expansion will come out, one that updates the installer.  Then you're back to square one.

Personally, if people have a spine, they'd show Maxis how they feel about all of this by not buying the damn game.  If people buy it and bitch, EA doesn't care.  It's like the woman who gets beat up by her man, if she keeps going back, he's going to keep beating her.

Deviancy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 05:03:02 pm »

What does that have to do with disabling the use of CC?

Disabling CC has nothing to do with the advancement of technology, it has everything to do with money.

The reason the US f***ed itself is because too many people always wanted more, they were never happy with just having enough.  EA is no different, they think they found a way to make even more.  Now they have a base game, future expansions and additional content. 

Hellgate tried to do that, and it failed. 

The TS3 leak is allowing a lot of people to already post a lot of negativity online, that will probably have more of an impact on sales than the piracy itself.

This would be the best time for another publisher/dev to create a game not unlike the Sims 3, but totally open to CC, and with a bit more of a mature spin. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 05:31:21 pm by Jenna » Logged

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 06:04:14 pm »

The whole bone of contention is and always has been CC. distribution,creation and most importantly, installation.
It is this that will either make or break the game
The fact that those idiots have already posted items and prices in their store is beginning to raise eyebrows even amongst some of the more ardent supporters of the game.
I find it somewhat ironic that this is also a hot topic of discussion at the tsr forum.
It appears from reading comments in various sites that not all the people are as stupid as EA assumes. There are an awful lot that are saying "the game costs X this item costs Y and this item costs Y. If I combine Y+Y+Y+Y+Y I have X. WTF! I used to get that with an EP plus new gameplay."
All my evidence points towards towards this game being a disastrous flop.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: