Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 10:14:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I really the only one who is looking forward to this?  (Read 26907 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 01:09:21 am »

I just don't want to waste my money and find out I have to be online to play because if I do I won't be playing the game long, only because I have dial-up and others need the phone in my house throughout the day so I just want to know if you have to be online to play and I will stfu lol Cheesy

also I am really hoping my computer can run it because I have others complain that have it already that there computers keep shutting down and that seems like either a video card or graphics card issue to me which like I said I checked SRL and it said I was over the minimum mark to play the game so maybe I am fine?
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 01:39:41 am »

It's the graphics I'm afraid. It sounds like I suspected all along. The suitability test was done to an old 14" crt. screen using 800x660 resolution not the average 19" at 1024x768. And that combined with an iffy low end graphics card will spell overheating which will rapidly lead to cooked graphics card.
If you think that's bad then what about all those that treated themselves to a new 24" widescreen for Xmas not realising that in most cases you also have to beef up your graphics card as well. "WTF! it ran smoothly yesterday, all I  did was plug in a new screen"
chernobylsnake

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 01:48:17 am »

It looks like people are focusing a lot of attention on modding. But what about the whole Simming part? Isn't that kind of the point- making a Sim and putting her/him through the trials of a virtual life with those weird, quirky events that are seemingly characteristic of the Sims games, furthering game-play-addiction? I'm not an expert gamer (if there is such a thing) nor am I a modder, nor am I a game engineer, nor am I a 12 year old, but it seems to me that the game allows players to do some sort of modding of their own. Of course it's limited, and looks like just changing colours and patterns, however the world shown in videos and teasers looks pretty detailed and dense: it's like a playground for players who want to to do a little creating and Simming (such as myself) and a watering hole for players who care less about the creating but more about the Simming. And can't we all share our virtual creations online?
We still haven't seen much of the construction aspect of the game- not how the game is constructed but literally building in game. At lease I haven't seen or read much on the topic. I know I ran across something on Snooty Sims stating that build mode will be incorporated at a later time (or something of that nature). What if this build mode is similar to the constructing in Spore? Spore seemed like far less of a game thought up by Will Wright and more like a testing ground to see how a new breed of game would work for the target demographic, which let's be real here was not FPS players but probably Simmers, SimCity fans, Black and White fans, and so on (none of this is new or mind blowing, I'm assuming).
I'm a Maxis faithful, coming across The Sims at far too young an age for something that would rot my brain and cause me to spend oodles of money that should have been saved for college or something as equally important. I've loved everything Sims 2 has had to offer, but quite frankly I'm pretty bored. I've built (what feels like) hundreds of houses, town homes, and apartments; gobbs of bars, clubs, and shopping centres; parks and play grounds; entire Roman cities with toga-sporting Sims. I've played vampires, witches, plant Sims, and robot zombies; gone on island vacations with my upper crust families with twin teenagers; put said teenagers through a university that was made by me; and married those once teenagers to grilled cheese aspiration Sims. I'm done! I've played the hell out of that game and EA is certainly not going to give me anything more to play with in the Sims 2, not saying modders can't.
The Sims 3 looks fun. And new. Works for me.
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 01:49:19 am »

^lol

but seriously

**fingers crossed** that I can run the damned thing
Skaarjy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 01:55:31 am »

After reading Pescado's review... it looks more like Spore 2.0  angry
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 03:48:09 am »

It looks like people are focusing a lot of attention on modding. But what about the whole Simming part? Isn't that kind of the point- making a Sim and putting her/him through the trials of a virtual life with those weird, quirky events that are seemingly characteristic of the Sims games, furthering game-play-addiction?

That may be the point. But I can only repeat the lowest common denominator thing I said in a different thread. The vanilla game has to be fit for 8+ years. If that's enough to keep you entertained for months or even years, it's perfectly OK. Modding added at least some of the more adult aspects of Sims lives and polished out the most serious glitches and annoying habits.
fornax

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 07:05:03 am »

For those hopefuls, more power to you and I hope you'll be satisfied with the game for a long time.  But, even if we haven't played the game, it's all too clear, EA is now all about making even more money than they managed to milk from the faithful "Maxis" followers.  They know that multitudes of blind "Maxis" followers still exist.  They exist even after Maxis died a few years ago and it's obvious from their intentions of releasing a game with Sim's faces akin to Pillsbury's Dough Boy relatives.  Add to that a game tightly controlled by EA's servers, limited objects with the initial purchase, no capability for creating neighborhoods, and the high probability of tough object customization and modding by third parties, and all we have is the new more complex trait system, the capability to change the colors of everything, and two pretty neighborhoods which can't be topographically altered.  From the reports of game testers thus far, there are hardly any elements from TS2 expansion packs (like ceilings) present in the base game, those will all be sold to us, all over again.  And the objects, let's not forget the much needed objects that will only be available at the online store.  So why is everybody screaming so much and looking at June 2 like it's the 2nd coming of the savior? 
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 05:10:05 pm »

I just want to know one thing: How in the ever-loving hell can you enjoy a game that blinds you with the sheer ugly factor of the characters you're supposed to get through a life? Do not want.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
chernobylsnake

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 07:30:48 pm »

After reading Pescado's review... it looks more like Spore 2.0  angry
I could have told you that without the reviewing bit  tongue

Abaris: I actually totally agree with you. I definitely appreciate the atmosphere that was created via mods in my TS2 games, as it seems far more mature now. Something tells me that TS3 'nilla wont be a popular item among 8-year-olds, however definitely the plus range.

...it's obvious from their intentions of releasing a game with Sim's faces akin to Pillsbury's Dough Boy relatives.
I thought our options with physical Sim features were amped up, giving players a huge range of possibilities? I think it will be possible to create that ever sought after starving model look or that chizzled jaw out of Marvel comics.

Paden: Don't make ugly characters? Idk how to help your struggle.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 07:46:04 pm »

I'm right smack in the middle of the fence on TS3.  I know I won't be banging on the retailer's door on Release Day.  I don't even know when Release Day is.  lol.  Right out of the box, I agree TS3 is not modifiable.  But with people like Peter Jones, Wes, Carrigon and a host of others working on a SimPE like program, who can say what the future will bring.

According to reports, the only way users can share their CC is to upload it using an EA tool to the EA site and then others download it using an EA tool.  Is it going to be that difficult to look in the Downloads folder and copy the file, compress it, and put it onto another site?  How is that going to be regulated?  If the tool is adding a "signature" want to take bets on that being hacked too?

I guess my biggest disappointment is that those that are interested in getting the game can't start a thread about it without the naysayers overrunning the thread with what ever got their goat.  You have your con-TS3 threads.  Let the pro-TS3 people have their platform to get excited.

Jenna
Queen of Spamming
Admin

Who farted?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 08:14:15 pm »

I'm right smack in the middle of the fence on TS3.  I know I won't be banging on the retailer's door on Release Day.  I don't even know when Release Day is.  lol.  Right out of the box, I agree TS3 is not modifiable.  But with people like Peter Jones, Wes, Carrigon and a host of others working on a SimPE like program, who can say what the future will bring.

I don't doubt that we'll see progress made, and CC creation/importation possible. But...where are you going to host this stuff? It'll be considered a breach of the EULA, and as such, no community site will (publicly) host 3rd-party modifications. CC download sites will have to operate in the shadows while hiding from the EA legal department. It just makes me wonder if it's worth it. *shrugs*

I guess my biggest disappointment is that those that are interested in getting the game can't start a thread about it without the naysayers overrunning the thread with what ever got their goat.  You have your con-TS3 threads.  Let the pro-TS3 people have their platform to get excited.

That's what the BBS is for. Hah. Seriously though, right now a lot of folks are hurting from the facts that keep emerging, and they need a place to vent. Sadly, this seems to include and all threads that exist on the topic of TS3.

Quote from: Engram
Jenna and I make cute babbiez! LOL
Quote from: Isadora
Great, another night of chicken chair typing.
Simelorian

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 08:19:40 pm »

I have read the entire thread on MATY and the reception actually seems to be improving as more time passes and while the UI said to be hard to figure out there are less complaints than I anticipated. One of the more recent posts shows a picture of a sim that actually looks quite good. I still am feeling that the game will be better than anticipated. I'm near 50% on my torrent so I'll do some talking after I play it later tonight or tomorrow (IF IT IS GOOD I ABSOLUTELY INTEND TO BUY IT LEGALLY Grin) We shall see.

Dawn Approaches
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 09:10:10 pm »

There is no struggle for me as I have no bloody intention of ever getting it, either legally or illegally or haven't you bothered to read my statements of: DO NOT WANT!??

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
Nalia
イノセンスはつどう

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 09:38:02 pm »

If your biggest disappointment is about this...
Pro-TS3 are excited nonetheless, no one smacks them with fish and carrots to stop talking. They are free to talk as much as they like and dance happily till they drop dead.  Seriously, why do you let our anti-TS3 attitude spoil your mood? Do as we do: your happiness can barely make us blink an eye.

Even if she wanted there would be no way for her to avoid ugly characters as the game is right now.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-- William Shakespeare, "Hamlet" (Act 2, scene 2)
"Yes, Sharing is caring, especially caring for the person you're sharing."  -- AxelVal
I said I Love Yuu not you --Nalia
My LiveJournal
Simelorian

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 09:47:11 pm »

There is no struggle for me as I have no bloody intention of ever getting it, either legally or illegally or haven't you bothered to read my statements of: DO NOT WANT!??

Paden, you have nothing to say that is not negative, you are not willing to at least try the game, I started this thread to find people willing to give it a fair shot not to be bashed for having some hope that the game is not as disastrous as you are making it out to be. I mean come on even Pescado is acknowledging the good in the game without bashing everyone who is optimistic about it. So could you at least let us speak without flipping out and screaming YOUR opinion over and over at us? We have opinions too.

Dawn Approaches
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: