Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 05:19:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Clean Installer to Install Sims  (Read 11862 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Kenadie_Rose

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2009, 10:21:30 am »

I was reading the forums here and saw in the sticky above that I could install sims into my SLS game if I used clean installer.  I went ahead and installed clean installer and downloaded a .zip file of a sim from TSR.  I then opened clean installer and it turned my .zip folder into a sims2pack file.  I then double clicked on it and installed it into my downloads folder.  I started the game and went to CAS but the downloaded sim wasn't there.  Am I not putting the files in the right place?  BTW, when clean installer asks to select a file extension should I choose Sim2Tmp or package?  I am really confused and would love to have downloaded sims.  I made sure to use a sim that was base game compatable btw.  Thanks for any help. Smiley

:duckie: Kenadie
gali

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 11:29:34 am »

The Clean Installer is connected by default to the TS2 game. You shall find your sim in SavedSims folder of TS2. Don't use it to install custom contene to SLS - it will go automatically to TS2 game.

If you want to put this sim in SLS, do this.

1) Select all your downloads in the Download folder, and put them in a new folder. Thus, what will be installed outside the new folder, will belong to the sims (skin, eyes, clothing).

2) Select all you SavedSims folder, and put them in a new folder. Thus, all what is installed outside the new folder, belongs to your sim.

3) Copy all the files, and put them in a folder on your desktop.

4) Paste the files in the SLS Downloads folder, or SavedSims folder (you have to create them), in My Documents/Electronic Arts/SLS/Downloads or SavedSims.

Now the sim will appear in your CAS (create a sim).
Kenadie_Rose

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:51:40 pm »

I don't have The Sims 2 installed on my computer, just Sims Life Stories.  Will this still work?

gali

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 02:59:33 pm »

Well, that's not so good - bad, to be honest...Smiley.

1) You can download only plain files (DBPF). You can't download packaged files, and do the trick I showed you above. It means, you can download clothing, objects, walls, floors - anything that doesn't demand "install".

2) The files have to be compatible with TS2 game (file that demands higher EP won't work), max - Uni (not sure).

3) You have to extract the file on your desktop, copy it and paste it in your Downloads folder (create one).

4) If you have a friend with TS2 on her computer, you can send her the packaged files, and ask her to install them (as I showed above), and send to you the DBPF files. Now you can paste them in SavedSims folder (create one). The sim will show up in your CAS.

Sorry...Smiley.
Kenadie_Rose

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 06:26:16 pm »

Oh darn.  From the way the sticky above was talking I didn't think I would need TS2.  Oh well, I tried.  Thanks a bunch! Grin

Engram

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 06:54:15 am »

Select the destination as the Downloads folder in your SLS directory in My Documents / Documents (depending on whether you have XP or Vista). This SHOULD and WILL work. I have done this and it worked. You DO NOT need TS2.

You select the filetype as .package. The temp files are for installing houses and the target folder for that is Teleport. But because house files are expansion pack dependent I would stay away from those because they'd just crash your game. But sims should be safe to install. Just make sure you have the correct destination folder and that the filetype is .package.

Ell-jay: lots, sims, defaults and other downloads<br />The Thunder God went for a ride upon his favourite filly.<br />\"I\'m Thor!\" he cried, the horse replied<br />\"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!\"
Kenadie_Rose

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 09:24:15 am »

Oh ok I am going to go try this.  I hope it works!!

Kenadie_Rose

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 11:42:03 am »

Alrighty I did what you said and the sim still doesn't show up, however the custom content from the sim does.  I guess that is better than nothing...  cool

gali

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 11:37:55 pm »

And I wanted to say that I am glad about Engram's instructions...Smiley. Because I myself tried it, and it didn't work with the sims packages, and I had to "trick" with the TS2 game.

Sorry I misled you, Kenadie, and I am glad that you succeeded to install the custom content. Thanks, Engram. cool

Engram

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 07:25:50 am »

Kenadie_Rose - try creating a SavedSims folder and putting the sim file (not the CC, just the sim) in there. If the sim was not cloned in Bodyshop but simply extracted then packaged, it will not show up if you leave the sim file in Downloads. I recently discovered this when I tried to put a non-cloned sim into my game and then desperately searched for it in both CAS and Bodyshop. A cloned sim should be between 100 and 200 KB, while a non-cloned sim will be around 500 to 600 KB filesize. If the filesize for the sim file is big, this would indicate a non-cloned sim but an extracted one. A cloned sim will have a filename something like 56d96630_ba25512.package, while a non-cloned one will be called something like N004_character0056.package or will have a real name like JennySmith.package.

Ell-jay: lots, sims, defaults and other downloads<br />The Thunder God went for a ride upon his favourite filly.<br />\"I\'m Thor!\" he cried, the horse replied<br />\"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!\"
Kenadie_Rose

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 10:10:43 am »

Grin THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH ENGRAM!!!  It worked!!  Thanks soooo much!!  YAY

DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 11:29:13 am »

I actually did use Sim2clean installer quite easily with SLS.  Since it was made for TS2 it automatically tries to locate a TS2 dl folder if you just try and run it automatically.  But it's not at all complicated you simply have to direct it to your SLS downloads folder to search for CC.  

The steps I followed are almost identical to using the installer for TS2.
1.   Place the CC (in this case the custom sim) in your dl folder as usual.
      I put mine in a subfolder labled "Custom Sims".

2.  Go to the folder in you downloads where you placed the custom sim.

3.  The first time you do this open the sims2Pack clean installer and on the above right drop down menu, locate your SLS
     downloads folder and open it.   Find the custom sim package in the list and click "install" (or it might say "install all")
     it's been a few months since I've done this).

4.  That's it!  Go to CAS and you should see your custom sim.

See my illustrated example  (mini-tutorial) from when I did this Here.  It's towards the bottom of page one of the thread.

The next time you do this you should only have to go to the dl folder and right click on the CC and install.  Quick and easy right?  I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:41:34 am by DaSpecial1 » Logged

Sims by Dasi:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: