Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 06:44:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Braces  (Read 23433 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
soulofthesea
Composer/Sound Engineer in Training

Axe 'em Jacks!

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2009, 08:07:01 pm »

since i'm going to get braces pretty soon, maybe when summer vacation starts, i was just wondering, if any of you guys ever had braces, what was it like? i've been hearing all these horror stories about getting braces from my friends (they drill them into your teeth, assistants refuse to numb you, the after-pain is about three times worse than pulled muscles, orthodontist is always in a bad mood and likes taking it out on his/her teenage patients, etc.). to be quite honest, i'm a little scared of what'll happen, especially since i'll have a new orthodontist (the fifth one i've had in three years), and i don't know what to expect. Undecided will someone give me an honest answer to what really happens when you get braces?

What goes on in the Band Room either stays in the Band Room, or goes on Youtube!

I am here
Stelio Kontos
Resident Reptilian
Loot Looker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:18:05 pm »

I haven't had braces, but I REALLY need to get them done.
So, anyone else with tales to share?
brat1083
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:22:02 pm »

Soul if you feel that there isn't something right with any medical or dental provider let your folks know and get another one....its your body take good care of it...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:59:54 pm by brat1083 » Logged
Max24

junior deputy vice assistant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 09:58:17 pm »

If you don't mind listening to an old guy for a bit, I had them when I was younger.  I'm guessing the technology has advanced a bit since I had them, but I understand they are basically the same.  Typically they are attached to the teeth with a special dental cement.  A running wire is used to connect each tooth to the others and by manipulating the wires the orthodontist can gradually reposition the teeth.  It's uncomfortable, especially early on, but it gets better with time and after a while you kind of take it for granted.  Make sure you get a little obsessive about cleaning your teeth since you are at greater risk for cavities with the braces on.  Once you get the braces off, you will probably go to some sort of retainer.  Get obsessive about wearing it when you are supposed to.  And keep going to the dentist to keep an eye on those wisdom teeth.  They can undo all the good work of the braces later in your teens if you and your dentist don't deal with them in timely fashion. [/annoying old guy lecture]

Rest in peace Katie Ashton.  The world is a lesser place for your absence.
icinngtiara

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 12:46:40 am »

I currently have braces. At first I really hated them. They were annoying and hurt really bad. After a few days, I got use to them. Now I have had them for a year and a half. It occasionally hurts and the brackets sometimes cut my mouth but they aren't too bad once you get use to them. As for the process of putting them on, there are a lot of myths. When I was younger, I was told then have to give multiple shots in the mouth so I was really scared the day I went but all they really did was put some sort of glue on my teeth and put the bracket over the glue and the wire in. I don't think you need to be numbed for it because it doesn't hurt until the wire is put on. It is uncomfortable throughout the process. They don't drill in teeth (at least mine didn't). When I first got them on I really wanted to go back and get them off but my mom wouldn't take me. I am very glad she didn't because my teeth are almost perfectly straight and I LOVE the outcome. Basically there is nothing to be afraid of. This is the honest truth about mine just make sure to wear the retainer afterwards and maintain good brushing and it will be fine! Wow this is the most i've typed in a while. LOL!  Hope I have helped!
soulofthesea

Axe 'em Jacks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 03:40:59 pm »

well, my parents and i have done some research, and they're thinking of letting me have this new brace technique called the Damon System. it's basically a new thing that takes the pain out of getting braces, without extractions (i've already had five teeth extracted, but they were my last baby teeth and they had to go anyways), fewer office visits, and better dental hygenie in less than two years! i don't know if it'll require a retainer afterwards, since it moves the bone tissues in a natrual way, but it sounds like a better alternate than regular braces or Invisalign. Laugh2 and luckily, this new orthodontist we're considering (the fifth one i've had) offers the Damon braces, so we'll go to him, even if it means driving down to Memorial City to see him. and apparently, he's into classic rock, plays guitar, and his name is Woody (like that doll from Toy Story (seriously an orthodontist who's a guitar player, likes classic rock, and his name is Woody?! this has got to be some twist of fate!!))

so here's a link to better explain these new braces: http://www.damonbraces.com/

What goes on in the Band Room either stays in the Band Room, or goes on Youtube!

I am here
Zorom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 10:35:24 am »

Braces are a breeze. Really. The spacers hurt a bit, but just take a painkiller if it really bothers you.
Getting the braces on is not painful but uncomfortable. For a few days after that they will feel weird, but if you find they cut into your mouth, like mine did, I was able to put this wax stuff on which helped.
   After that, it's easy. Don't be self-concious about them, people barely notice them. It can be annoying when food gets stuck in them (and VERY embarassing) but that's why i carry a toothbrush around when I was going out. (locked in a case where no one can see)
Really, they're no big deal. Wink And your teeth will look gorgeous after.

soulofthesea

Axe 'em Jacks!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 07:38:46 pm »

apparently, we found a different guy to do my braces, since the guy i wanted didn't take either of my parents' insurances. this guy is really nice, even though he kept doing the whole "bite down...open up...bite down..." thing during the consulation, which ended up being the same appointment when i got the spacers.

now that "bite down....open up....bite down...." thing has become an inside joke between me and my family. Tongue

I am here
drcrzy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 07:47:34 pm »

Braces really are not that bad. All I recommend is that you use the wax they give you. When I had braces, I used the wax constantly. Just put it over the braces that are hurting you the most, for me it was my upper incisors (the "canine teeth"). It really helps. =)
VidaDeMusica
Thinks The Lion King is the best Disney movie ever :)

REAL women play the saxophone

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 11:30:30 am »

I had braces for four years, and just got them off last August.
I'm going to be honest with you: when you first get them on, they HURT!!! Whenever you get them tightened or anything like that, they'll hurt a bit as well.
However, the pain is TOTALLY worth it when you get your new smile after you get them off. Smiley
They aren't as bad as people make them out to be. After a while, you won't even notice them.

Hi, I'm Luna. Smiley
Katie
0BretttterB0

<3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 10:28:06 pm »

i think the worst, so far about them is that i cant be as rough with my guys, cause they could cut open my pper lip if i fall on them hard enough, seeing as i only have top ones.
i have had top braces for 3 1/2 months and the other bad thing is the second wire hurt the most, though the orthodontist said it wouldn't, and then my inside of my lips have PLENTY of scars from them too. and my wire's are always poking me. but there not too bad. YAY
WORTH IT FOR STRAIGHT TEETH!!
retainers are MUCH worse. (though sometimes i miss it, like something is missing without it in.)

Find me on moonlight <3
Karla!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 05:39:24 pm »

at first it feels a little weird and you'll fing you lips getting pulled by the braces but then you get used to it.

also, you'll get a little pain on your teeth for two days, but then it'll be gone

braces arent that bad, and the results are WONDERFUL! Grin

soulofthesea

Axe 'em Jacks!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 10:31:08 pm »

ok folks, i just got my braces two days ago. putting them on wasn't as bad as i thought it would be; they came on a little mold, but the thing is, the braces themselves were on the inside of the mold. so all they had to do was spray the glue on my teeth and put the mold on! pretty cool, eh? however, i also had a palatal expander put in, whichh annoyingly cuts across the middle of my mouth, making swallowing harder.

and just like everyone has said, these first couple of days have been pure hell. eating hurts, drinking hurts, when i talk, i sound like i have a lisp (thanks to the stupid expander! PFFT). plus, my front and bottom teeth are extremely sensitive, and even when i brush them lightly, it still hurts. the ortho told me to cut out hard cardy, which sucks, cuz i love Jolly Ranchers and Skittles. i can't even eat eighty percent of my favorite foods cuz eating hurts so badly. but hey, that's just another excuse to get me more smoothies/Starbucks frapuccinios! Grin

I am here
Rapple

Hale_Icons

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 09:46:10 pm »

Gosh, how I hate braces.
I have them now.
I have had them for three years.

Before I got them, my friend said that there were little needles on them that hook into your gums. She scared the living crap out of me. XD

They do hurt for a while after getting them on, even a whole week maybe, but it should stop after that and the only thing that sucks is I have scars in my mouth from the sharp wires that got longer in the back,
and even one that is a FLAP OF SKIN in my mouth where the wire cut it halfway.

I HATE IT! DX

And no hard candy. If you do, trust me, it really will break the brackets. I'd thought, I'll be careful and it won't! :DDDD

But it did. And we had to pay for more brackets glued on.

Anyways, when I get them off, I'll be soo happy. Getting the bottom off on July 28, 2009!!!
Cheesy

Good luck with yours!

Vote for heir, here!
http://rapple1578.livejournal.com/30780.html
Viewable and can be voted on by everyone.
Katie
0BretttterB0

<3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 10:12:46 pm »

now i am afraid for the time to come of my next appointment, because i am almost dont with my top ones and then they'll put on the botoms soon, and then the top will come off after that... but my friend told me that it hurts the most to get them taken off cause they RIP THEM OFF YOUR TEETH!!?? but i guess as long as they dont rip any of my teeth out i will be a-okay...

Find me on moonlight <3
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: