Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 06:28:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm I the only one who would rather just keep playing sims 2.  (Read 62221 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 10:47:09 am »

before ea even created sims3 they should've asked us the people who play the sims 2 how we wanted the sims 3 to be like

There is no "us the people". I understand that EA has to maximize their profits by making a game for the whole family and not only for adults or a certain group. That's perfectly OK. What's not OK in my book is the ban on hacking and modding. Making the game customisable added to the longevity of the product.
saowens
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 11:38:41 am »

I just really don't understand why people are uninstalling the sims2 when they install sims3. It has to be a drive space issue because there is no reason to do that otherwise. Sims3 isn't replacing sims2 on my pc.

I do have both installed now. I've played 3 a couple of times for about 3 hours total. Some things that really bug me about:
when you have a sim drive a car to another lot. They don't go get into the car and then drive away. They go stand on the curb and snab there fingers. The car appears and then they disappear and the car drives off.

It's really hard to figure out how to send your sims to a class to improve a skill.

The fish you catch can not be deleted from the sims inventory. You have to either get them mounted, drag them into the fridge or put them in a fish tank. To start out the sims only catch minnows so why would you want to get them mounted or put them in the fridge? I would rather use them for bait.

Every book the sims reads goes into the sims inventory. Not back on the book shelf.

If one sim reads the paper they put it in their inventory and then you can't take it back out so another sim can read it.

When a sim gets pregnant they want a massage. The help says that another sim can give them one but there is no option that I can find for that to happen. They have to go to a spa then you have to wait forever until they come back out of the building.

There are others but I can't recall them right now.
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 05:20:25 pm »

Unless you really need the disc space, there is no need to uninstall sims 2. It is a game, don't confuse it with a background task. If you're not playing it, it remains dormant.
As for those average 92 ratings that gaming magazines gave the game prior to it's release, just reading the feedback in those same magazines, the players give a rating between 50 and 70 'dud'.
For those that haven't bought it yet, just hold back a little longer. The more that the ratings plummet the more desperate EA. will get. This next month will be very interesting.
LVishere

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 05:32:06 pm »

If I cannot have my Gucci, Fendi, Prada, guess what? I don't want it. You are so not alone. The clay dough sims and horrible graphics marred my mind.
jadesstar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 05:41:01 pm »

Even if I do decided to buy Sims 3, I will not uninstall 2. I'm finally getting the game to where I want it with the mods I have. I've been reading lots of posts on how the gameplay is going, and they're definately not encouraging. And as for reviews, my Newsweek game it a glowing review (which is the polar opposite of what I've read online by players). Call me paranoid, but do ya think that EA games "encouraged" them to be nice? Or more likely, the person who did the review isn't a hard core Sims 2 gamer.
Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 05:42:56 pm »

I will definitely stick with Sims 2, also.

The funny thing is: I let my sister try the Sims 3 and she played for only 5 mins before she got up and said she was bored. Now that's terrible. And she's a Sims 2 addict.

I personally have been trying to enjoy the game, but I think it's terrible. Gameplay is quite unappealing and static. And I can imagine EA trying to sell us millions of dollars worth of custom content. I have no interest in buying their junk.

Overall, I'd give the game a 4/10. As other users have said, it surprises me when I see gamer magazines giving this 'game' a 90 rating. I imagine they're being payed in some way by EA. Makes me loose my respect for those magazine companies as well...

(3rd) Ae Young Kim Mother of the Year
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 07:09:09 pm »

...And as for reviews, my Newsweek game it a glowing review (which is the polar opposite of what I've read online by players). Call me paranoid, but do ya think that EA games "encouraged" them to be nice? Or more likely, the person who did the review isn't a hard core Sims 2 gamer.

...As other users have said, it surprises me when I see gamer magazines giving this 'game' a 90 rating. I imagine they're being payed in some way by EA. Makes me loose my respect for those magazine companies as well...

If you ask me, many reviewers and editors tend to play nice with specific gaming companies... partially due job security and ad revenue rather than give a bluntly honest review, which would put a negative impact on how the game would sell, and in turn have the gaming company actually bite back at times.  A prime example of what I'm talking about:  Jeff Gerstmann of Gamespot "let go" due to his Kane & Lynch review.  Sure, some things he has said and they way he presented them are probably things people may not agree with, but he did have a knack for giving an honest take on any game he reviewed.  Unfortunately, Edios didn't think his review of their game was good enough, threw a hissy fit, and threatened to pull their ad campaign from everything related to Gamespot.  Of course, no one on Kotaku still knows if he left on his own terms or was fired...

Ever since that incident, reading game reviews by big-name gaming sources hasn't seemed the same, nor have they felt completely honest... that's why I take game review scores with a grain of salt these days.  Seeing all of the high scores for Sims 3 really doesn't phase me much now that I only rely mostly on non-"professional" reviews for honest opinions... at least they don't have a possible wad of money dangling in front of them when they tell you the scoop.  Cheesy

kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 07:30:55 pm »

UH OH!!! It's a 666 RANT a COMIN'!!! (Brace yourselves)

Not in the interest of not coming off to hostile for all of you sensitive folk, I'll tone it down from my norm. Wouldn't wanna make anyone cry...again. But anyone who went as far as uninstalling TS2 for TS3 for any reason other then disk space is as I've said before naive on a juvenile level. And don't front, some of the people who are reading this know exactly who they are. But notice how all of the people who for the last few months have been blindly ranting and raving about how they're "sick of the Sims 2" and "can't wait for the new game" are nowhere to be found now that the poops hit the fan? Hmmm...interesting. Like I said over on MATY, TS3 will never replace TS2, no matter how many mods and hacks are made for it, if any ever are thanks to the EULA. As has been pointed out here, it's a totally different game from TS2. IMO it's only a Sims game in name alone. Look at the facts. Will Wright, the mind behind the game had no part in it's development. That's like having a Mario game that doesn't have Shigeru Miyamoto involved in it's creation. The game was developed by two Development houses that have been well known to botch completely good games. There was very little of the original Maxis team involved in the building of TS3, and it shows. Does the game have potential? Yes...I can honestly say it does. There are points about it that do have merit. The problem is the technical, graphical and administrative shortcomings of the game far overshadow the good points of it, and the sheep are finally starting to see that. (By sheep I mean the EA brainwashed consumer who assumed this was going to be the BEST GAME EVAR!!! If it don't apply to you, let it fly.)

What it's going to take to salvage this game is WHOLESALE changes across the board. Changes that will sadly only come from EA, so in a nutshell, they're changes that won't be happening anytime soon. If you're a new user, totally knew to the Sims series, it's a nice game. But if you're someone who's played both previous games, it's a serious let down. A step backwards. The game should have been everything TS2 was and a whole lot more. Instead it's bits and pieces of TS2 with few new gameplay elements and a whole lot less execution. That's where the game falls short, it's execution. It's less a sandbox and more a boardgame. If you like boardgames, have at it. But if you like to make the world your own down to the most minute detail, you're better sticking with TS2, cuz I highly doubt we'll ever get that kind of freedom in TS3. I've reserved myself to a similar mindset as roerzman, being the fact that I'm going to wait a year or two to see what comes down the pipe before I consider making a Sims 3 Purchase, but TS2 is and always will be my game. I've invested to much cash in EPs and have WAY to much content (my The Sims 2 folder as a whole is 13.5GB) to just step away from it cold turkey.

*End Rant*

I hope that was tame enough not to offend to many people...Tongue

And in response to you Tenshii, It's pretty cut and dry. If you're going to read a review, it should be either from Game Informer Magazine, or seen on X-Play on G4TV. Both are the most unbiased reviewing outlets in the Industry. Both will tear a game a new one if it deserves it, and both aren't influenced by advertisements from companies (Hell, you barely even see game ads in Game Informer.) As far as IGN, Gamestop, 1Up and other various gaming websites, their reviews are full of crap. Their reviewers aren't "Gamers", they're journalists who happen to play video games from time to time. Big difference.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:40:18 pm by kaoz666 » Logged

Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 08:26:32 pm »

If you ask me, many reviewers and editors tend to play nice with specific gaming companies... partially due job security and ad revenue rather than give a bluntly honest review, which would put a negative impact on how the game would sell, and in turn have the gaming company actually bite back at times.  A prime example of what I'm talking about:  Jeff Gerstmann of Gamespot "let go" due to his Kane & Lynch review.  Sure, some things he has said and they way he presented them are probably things people may not agree with, but he did have a knack for giving an honest take on any game he reviewed.  Unfortunately, Edios didn't think his review of their game was good enough, threw a hissy fit, and threatened to pull their ad campaign from everything related to Gamespot.  Of course, no one on Kotaku still knows if he left on his own terms or was fired...

Ever since that incident, reading game reviews by big-name gaming sources hasn't seemed the same, nor have they felt completely honest... that's why I take game review scores with a grain of salt these days.  Seeing all of the high scores for Sims 3 really doesn't phase me much now that I only rely mostly on non-"professional" reviews for honest opinions... at least they don't have a possible wad of money dangling in front of them when they tell you the scoop.  Cheesy

That is very true, Tenshi.

Kaoz, I agree with you. And wow, my downloads folder is the same size (13.2gb). Overall, it's 19gb. I can't imagine switching to a more limited platform at this point. Sims 3 needs a good year or two before I consider it.

MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 08:55:23 pm »

It's really a mindset, I think, between the Sims 2 player and those who jumped to Sims 3.

For me, it''s an "investment" of time and interest. I go into my game wondering: "Who's going to get stupid now" or "Whose family is going to have a child grow up?" or even "What will that kid do next? Is that kid really that stupid?" Even the occasional fire gets my attention.

For lack of a better term, "emotional investment" would be it. You become interested in the interior of the game, not the exterior. Sims 3 (to me) seems to be a glossy game board with points added to every gem you pick up, every book you read. To me, that isn't a game, it's a race to see how much time you're going to waste not playing a family-merely making them go through the motions.

That's not fun to me. I want a hand in their development and lives. Not to be told, "Whoops-you didn't play them long enough, so they're outta here. Sorry, on to the next challenge."

mur

"He's Watching You"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 11:00:52 pm »

NO you are not,my wife and I both love the sims2,we have 2 PCs in our room,and we both play the sims2 on both of them.We both love our sims ,they seem to become part of our families even to the point of giving them our own names.I dont know if 3 will be as good ,but we will give it a try and see,i will save our sims2,so if 3 don't seem as good we'll go back and play 2 and start where we left off .The next generation is coming, we either catchup or fall behind,......we perfur to pass,WE'll see them at the finish line LOL.

"COMING FROM WHERE I'VE NEVER BEEN,HEADING TO WHERE I'M NEVER GOING"
babylips

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 11:12:12 pm »

I have been playing the Sims since it emerged as the Sims 1. The leaps and bounds it has made is incredible. Now, your Sims can emerge from their house and go out into the world without using the telephone. They can go out and meet people on the street instead of on the phone or computer. Please give it a chance my friends. It will be great once the modders get onboard. Don't bail, please.

Hug2
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 12:20:58 am »

I certainly haven't written the game off, as I said it has enormous potential.
At the moment it's a wait and see exercise. Let EA. make the ist. move with their modding/hacking policy, then let' see what all those talented artists out there come up with.
Once someone humanises those fuglies we're off and running and then for me it becomes an exercise in building a pc. to handle the new game humanised.
I suspect something built around the new i7 processor, anything less probably won't cut it.
For those that have the game allow me to give you some advise. Don't waste your money on the shite available at the store, save those dollars for a new pc. You gonna need one to run the game once it's been cleaned up.
Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 12:25:08 am »

I don't think even the modding community could fix the bad gameplay.

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 01:15:23 am »

No doubt the ist. EP. will address that. But I fear that will put EA. into a dilemma because the ist. EP. will probably lay waste to their minimum system requirements.
If they release it to early it'll put people with marginal pcs. who are still undecided off. If they release it to late currant players will get sick of it and revert back to sims2.
EA. took a gamble and compressed a high end game to fit into low end pcs.
I think they will be more than happy to let the sims community sort the game out so that in the end you when need a $4000 pc to play the thing they can remain blameless.
I would personally play the sims 2 for another year and see just how things pan out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: