Insimenator.org
April 26, 2024, 03:07:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: powered wheelchair (mesh almost done - creator help needed)  (Read 4486 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« on: April 28, 2009, 01:34:10 pm »

I've been on the hunt for a good-looking powered wheelchair (as a chair) for quite a long time. Since I couldn't find one I could use, I decided to try making one myself.

But I have some problems. First of all - my internet at home does not work, and my laptop can't handle mesh programmes. Besides - if I remember correctly from my first (and only) try at making a mesh, I'll need a new GUID, which can only be reached through the net (and I had huge troubles finding out how...).

Second, the only mesh programme I've got access to is 3dmax (at school), and from what I understand, things can get a bit tricky because of that.

third, I know how to unwrap a mesh - but I've got no clue how to do the texturing process on a newly made mesh. I know how to recolor an excisting mesh, though.

I also don't have the time right now to go through a bunch of tutorials - at least not when I can't do it at home.

the mesh I've got so far is around 3200 polys (if I can trust 3dmax). I'm not sure if it's concidered very high, or somewhere in the middle - but I've tried to take it down as far as possible.

I only need it as a chair, with chair functions.
(I know it is possible to make it drivable (rebecah made one), but I need to be able to move it around freely, and I couldn't do that with the drivable one. Same goes with the one with car functions at MTS2, which also was too big for my taste)

I really need this to the next chapters for a story project (Little Fire Burning), so I would really appriciate it if someone could help me out a bit Smiley

(I know the model is a bit too large - but I wasn't quite sure how big it's supposed to be for ingame use. But I've at least tried to get the proportions right).

* Electric_Wheelchair_3dmodel.jpg (66.84 KB, 399x480 - viewed 691 times.)
* powered_wheelchair.rar (93.13 KB - downloaded 190 times.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:58:58 pm by theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 08:24:19 pm »

haha, wat a way of explaining things Cheesy
Spend 2 yours on it and i think it will do. Wink
The uvmapping suked tho, so i roughly repositioned the parts.
Have no time to make more of it......
You should be able to recolor except the chrome.
Only saw it in Simpe, no idea how it looks ingame, let me know if i made any mistakes!

* wheelchair.jpg (116.03 KB, 426x482 - viewed 1092 times.)
* wheelchair.rar (425.78 KB - downloaded 167 times.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:32:18 pm by BlooM » Logged

No longer active
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 02:22:24 am »

looks good Smiley
I'll check it ingame later today.

I did not do any uvmapping myself, so that's why it probably looked horrible. The materials I put on were just for the picture.

My site:

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:29:05 am »

i used a pattern on the seat but you will see its stretched on many points.
I choose a low chair not a dinner one, hope that will do.

Post Merge: April 30, 2009, 03:15:35 am - Please remember to modify your post and not reply to yourself
You can recolor the chrome but only in the meshpackage itself.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:15:35 am by BlooM » Logged

No longer active
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 08:29:41 am »

Thanks a bunch for helping me, Bloom Smiley

I checked it ingame, and it seems as both the seat and the arms are a bit too high. They all sit a bit deep into the seat.

Children sits a bit too far out on the seat, but they generally do that on all chairs, so I guess it's not much to be done with that (apart from making another chair just for children).

the UV mapping might need some work, too. (I made a recolor with simple horizontal lines, just to see the mapping a bit clearer - and as you can see, the highest part is a bit stretched).

I did a quick unwrapping of the biggest parts (not the chrome parts) - in case you find that helpful. I used the file In the first post (I might have forgotten to unwrap that small controller thingy...). The UV coordinates should be baked into the parts.
Everything is still in separate parts, as I was not quite sure how it's best to put a mesh together before putting it ingame.

Smiley

* wheelchair_1.jpg (90.52 KB, 470x461 - viewed 609 times.)

* wheelchair_2.jpg (94.38 KB, 471x500 - viewed 606 times.)

* wheelchair_3.jpg (70.76 KB, 402x450 - viewed 611 times.)
* Wheelchair_Unwrapped.rar (101.27 KB - downloaded 166 times.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:32:49 am by theraven » Logged

My site:

BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 12:20:38 pm »

srry, this is all i can do. Wink

However, you can extract the mesh as a obj file
Open it with 3d studio or watever proggy you using, scale it a bit bigger.
Then clone a dinner seat, use my guid and load the mesh(rename the parts)

No longer active
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 09:00:05 pm »

I tried to load a fixed/uvmapped version of the mesh, but only got strange error messages - something about wrong number of vertices or something...

My site:

Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 09:06:48 pm »

Personally, I would not mind animating this chair for you. Especially since it's a seat, I don't have to worry about a slot file. I could probably attach a new Pie String that will make the wheels spin (are they in a separate group?) and the chair movie to where the user directs it to.

lol I've always wanted an animated wheelchair O.o

(3rd) Ae Young Kim Mother of the Year
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 11:54:39 pm »

well... I do really want it as a normal chair. Animated objects have a tendency to end up where I don't want them, which is not exactly the best thing when I do storytelling pictures.

Actually, Rebecah at MTS2/simsafe made an animated wheelchair that moves around when a sim sits in it - but it does weird things when I try to move it with the sim in it, like disapearing through the floor and such...

But feel free to use the mesh to make an animated wheelchair if you want - I do have the texture finished, too (for the mesh I've fixed, not the old one that Bloom used) Smiley
(but please credit me for the mesh if you upload it...Wink)

I wish I could manage to get things ingame myself - but my head simply refuses to understand tutorials sometimes... But at least I've learned how to mesh/unwrap now Smiley

My site:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: