Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 11:24:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My DVD ROM drive is not reading the Sims 3 disk  (Read 5906 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
~Iris~

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2009, 06:08:38 pm »

Hello.  I seem to be having a problem installing TS3 on my PC.  My system specs are as follows:

Model - HPa730n
PC - Windows XP2
CPU - 3GHz
RAM - 1.5 GB (can expand to 2GB)
Hard Drive - 180 GB free
Video - DirectX 9.0
Graphics Card - NVIDA GT7300

I am ashamed to admit that I have not downloaded any NVIDA drivers since installing my new graphics card in 7/07, nor have I updated my computer pretty much since I bought it back in 10/05.  It's not connected to the internet, and it's a pain to transfer files.

Every time I put the Sims 3 disk into my DVD ROM drive, it blinks, and sounds like a car with shot breaks.  It's all just a bunch of grinding, grunting, and then nothing.  Not even a buzz or whir of a loading sound.  After stalling for three minutes, I will click on the DVD ROM drive through My Computer and it shows that there is no disk in the drive.  I have a DVD-WR/CD-R/W drive and have been able to play/install all of my Sims 2 DVD ROM disks on it without a problem.  I still have TS2 installed on my PC along with all of its hacks and programs (wardrobe wrangler, file compressor, etc.).

I tried to install it on mom's Vista and it starts out fine, prompts will come up, all great, but I don't finish the process because I know that her graphics card isn't compatible with the game.  Is this just one of those problems that will be solved by buying an external DVD ROM only drive, should I just update my drivers, or should I look into getting a new PC?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

I can grow eggs, steaks, fish and books...but I can't make V8?

My custom sim is Egyptian royalty...the Adventure said so!
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 06:36:03 pm »

Either the disc is damaged or the dvd drive is damaged. Check your drive by inserting another disc and see if it reads it.
~Iris~

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 06:58:56 pm »

Hi Roe, thanks for the response.  I tested it by inserting TS2:MGS game, and it worked fine.  Loaded and showed up through My Computer with no problem.  I also tested TS3 on my mom's PC and again, read it without a problem.  It just seems to be particular with mine.

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 07:52:10 pm »

When inserting the disc check that it is centered. For various reasons some discs wont automatically center so one needs to double check. That's what is making the noise and also why the drive wont read the disc.
~Iris~

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 10:02:59 pm »

That's both annoying and depressing lol, but I will give it a shot in the morning.  Thank you.  Is there any reason why it would be a problem with only this disk and only on this particular PC?  I can toss it in any old way on mom's PC and it started spinning right away.  Same with TS2 disks and the PC that's giving me head pains now.

Llial

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 11:03:18 pm »

By any chance is your mother's pc to the internet conected? It can be a problem that the launcher want's to phone home Undecided

The ram is a big problem. 1.5 gig is not enough. At minimum you need 2gig.

And you need to update your graf-card. Go to the nvidia webside and it is very easy to find the right driver for your card.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 12:40:09 am »

If the problem persists there is a 90% chance that your optical drive is on its last legs. The good news is that optical drives are dirt cheap and very easy to install.
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 12:49:02 am »

Hi I just wanted to add that I read a post by some girl on the OS, whom was having the same problem, and was convinced she had a defective disk. She took it back 3 times determined to play the game and is now out 150$ on a 50$ game (what an idiot..) anyway she said that the last one she bought she got from wal-mart. Apparently, she think that since the disk was made in Mexico, and the other 3 were not is the reason others are having disk read failure rolleyes -right?- anyway she got it working apparently, so maybe you have a 'bad' disk as well? *shrugs*
~Iris~

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 02:32:28 am »

By any chance is your mother's pc to the internet conected? It can be a problem that the launcher want's to phone home Undecided

Actually, mom's PC is connected to the net.  Not a problem in sight (or sound) when it tries to read the disk.  I'd install it on there, but her video card isn't compatible.  *Sigh* I may just trade PCs with her and buy a new VC lol.  Thank you for the help, I'll be trying all of these things tomorrow.  Good night!

Chaavik
Got Blood?
Super Mod

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 06:09:34 am »

Definitely sounded like the CD/DVD drive is going out if it's making a lot of noise reading the disc. I once had a CD drive that literally chewed up a disc and spewed the pieces out in an explosion when I was doing something on the computer.

So, shop around for a new drive. Most CD/DVD drives cost at least 30 bucks or more these days.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Dancing Squirrels
Don't PM me with demands/requests. Make them here.
Come play Aetolia with us!
~Iris~

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 10:29:13 pm »

Thank you to all of those who helped me out.  For whatever reason (jiggling, shaking, praying, threatening with a bat/window/dip in the toilet) my DVD ROM drive decided to read the disk this morning after three tries.  I was able to install the game, even through the eight or nine ignored error messages while installing the EA Help files.  For the sake of my sanity, I did break down and buy an external DVD ROM drive, which the game is running beautifully and quietly on without a hitch.  Once again, thank you thank you, you guys are awesome Grin!

Razamataz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 07:56:24 am »

Sounds like the DVD rom is in need of replacment or cleaning.
Chaavik
Got Blood?
Super Mod

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 03:01:05 pm »

She already went out and bought a replacement which did solve her problem using the disc to install and start up the game.

Glad we were able to help you out with your problem.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Dancing Squirrels
Don't PM me with demands/requests. Make them here.
Come play Aetolia with us!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: