Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 07:25:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need help with my game for a computer illiterate  (Read 4490 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Pony

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:25:05 am »

I installed my sims3 I am frustrated beyond belief and very dissapointed, the main problem is the fact that it runs so slow, when I zoom in or out it will freeze for minutes at a time and will freeze randomly during game play, going anywhere is an absolute chore as I have to wait for a very long time for it to simply load. Pretty much the whole time it's running it never once runs smoothly and when I have it at top 4 speed it is still amazingly slow.

I have been trying to find something to help me on these forums, a few things have been helpful but it's all very complicated and I am not computer savvy at all. I ran a check to see if my computer was compatible (I think the forum is stickied) and it passed completely, I also checked my graphics card in the control panel and it seems to be working fine.

The thing that is amazingly upsetting is that I had the same issue with my sims 2 although not to this extent it would run fine and then crash randomly, my computer is only two years old and meets all basic requirements

i just don't know where to go from here? should I just take the game back?
geezy33

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 10:46:19 am »

I think u have to upgrade your PC or get more ram for it

Sorry no requests,I'm a townie maker and Maxis killer on maxis sims.
Welcome to Geezysims2:lurk:
Pony

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:48:40 am »

Ah well I can't do that :/ so I guess no sims for me.

Edit: I was thinking that might be the problem too. I only have 1.2GB. It says I need one but it's probably more in reality I guess.
geezy33

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:07:46 am »

hey pony, don't take your game back, do u have a external hard drive? back up some of your stuff if u have the sims 2 installed, u might wanna back your sim games up, we all know that the sims 2 takes a crap load of memory. What kind of PC u have?

Sorry no requests,I'm a townie maker and Maxis killer on maxis sims.
Welcome to Geezysims2:lurk:
Razamataz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 11:54:55 am »

Some People dont understand computers well. Sims 3 req. 1gig memory for XP. BUT if you have an Integrated video card(meaning built to mother board you'll need 1.5 mem. or so. this will slow the game way down or not even let it run. so check to see if your video is integrated or not.
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 11:56:32 pm »

I'm also stressing this. PLEASE update your drivers, it will make a world of difference. (sometimes...) Wink
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 09:26:53 am »

hey pony, don't take your game back, do u have a external hard drive? back up some of your stuff if u have the sims 2 installed, u might wanna back your sim games up, we all know that the sims 2 takes a crap load of memory.

I am sure you mean well, geezy33, but please discontinue telling people to get rid of stuff when you don't even know how big their harddrive is. Harddrive is the kind of memory where data from applications and personal data are stored, RAM (random access memory) is memory that is used by running programs. The harddrive is the device inside the case that spins like a cd and RAM is a module you plug directly onto the motherboard.

Yes, it is true that lots of RAM is used for Sims2 when you load lots of cc. But it does it only WHILE YOU RUN IT. Since there's no reason to start up Sims2 in order to play Sims3, it doesn't matter at all what other programs or games are installed on the computer. Only currently running applications will use up RAM (like browser in the background with a dozen open tabs, THAT depeletes resources). I'm sorry I'm not able to explain this better, but I hope you get the gist of it. False information tends to spread like bush fires and people end up doing harm to their computers or unnecessarily spend money.

But the updating drivers advice is a good one that always applies.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 10:06:35 am »

Actually Wednesday, there's nothing wrong with people offering any suggestion they think might be helpful, although it is prudent to find out what the OP's computer specs are before offering suggestions like that. Either way, please stop telling people what to post or not, ok? If your hard drive doesn't have much room left on it, that will affect how programs run, regardless of how much RAM or how fast a processor you have. It's like driving down a beautiful, four lane highway with a top-of-the-line car. If there's a lot of traffic, you're not going anywhere fast, regardless of how wonderful the highway is, or how great your car is.

Pony, could you list your computer specs please? Also, if you let us know whether you're running XP or Vista it will be a big help as well, since the requirements vary for both (because Vista is a resource hog). 

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 10:43:30 am »

Thanks, and I don't mean to seem arrogant, but I don't need any pictures of beautiful highways to know how a computer works, I learned it the old fashioned way.
But geezy33 keeps telling people to get external hd's and put their programs on there, which doesn't make any sense, if he doesn't know the specs (and even after they stated they got enough space). Makes me wonder if he sells the things. Might rather help to explain to the girl who asked how to do a dxdiag and attach it (if that's possible on this forum). Then one could really give sensible suggestions. Everything else is speculation.

I'm sorry if only moderators and admins are allowed to point this stuff out here. Then I'll refrain from helping. Because otherwise I will try to stop misinformations, lest they spread like the plague.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 07:48:56 am »

Well, I don't know that, do I? I'm never going to assume a person's knowledge level regarding anything and the highway analogy may be helpful to the OP, who is the person we're trying to help. In any case, knowledge level is not the issue here and I'm not telling you to stop helping. I'm asking you to stop telling people what they can or can't post. Moderating is the job of the moderators and Admins.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 03:07:24 pm »

I know that when my hard drive is more than half full, things slow down drastically. I'm due for a burn and wipe of this one within the next week, actually. Sometimes, getting rid of programs you don't use much or really need is a good way to free up system resources in order to make things run better. Followed by a good disk clean and defragmentation, of course.

Also, the more stuff on your hard drive does mean that it takes programs longer to respond because that's a lot of data to have to sift through. If you keep a tight system, meaning cleaned up of unneeded files and defragmented, it can make a difference on how quickly things run. It also helps if you have your virtual memory set to the highest amount that your system can handle. Virtual memory is hard drive space set aside to act as RAM, in case you haven't heard of that before.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
simpleprincess
Princess in training.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 02:11:23 am »

Its odd that both hers and mine computers are about the same yet mine is running better? even though it could do with a little more ram and better graphics ive found the more i play it the better it seem to get?   Ive got loads packed onto my computer likee very single sims 2 game known to man.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: