Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 05:05:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Sims 3 biggest launch in EA history  (Read 23408 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
gazania
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 05:54:02 pm »

But I agree with the general tone of the thread--EA needs to quit cutting corners. All we need is a good people simulator to wipe EA off the map one day. I hope that day comes soon enough.

Back in the early Sims 2-ish days (2005), The Movies came close. I really liked many features of the game, except that the characters looked plug-ugly, and my movie stars kept quitting every ten minutes, no matter what I did. I gave up and gave the game away. Not a big deal, really ... I paid only $10 for the game and the guide combined. I feel much worse for those Sims 3 players who might have to take more of a loss selling their game used, if they want to get rid of it.

The technology is out there. Other companies catering to US customers (I don't know about customers outside of the US, so I won't generalize) have tried their hand at this, but came up short. I know that in other countries, there are games that aren't too dissimilar to The Sims that are doing very well, thank ye. It's just a case of someone coming up with a Sims-ish game that won't get them sued by EA and that have features that Sims customers desire. Oh, and that has international appeal.

It's not impossible. It's just not here yet.  Lips Sealed

And PixieStyx26, one concern I do have is that if free sites take too much away from EA, EA might ... no, I'd better not write it. It's just that this recent EULA concerns me a little.

EDIT ... I messed up the timeframe when The Movies came out. Sorry! But just for fun, I looked up The Movies on Amazon, and even THAT got more stars than the Sims 3.

Also, I checked the latest reviews. It's not good when a over a third of the reviews for a game are one-star. Combine these reviews with two-star reviews, and almost half of the reviews are one- or two-stars! Yipes! I know that some of the negative reviewers might be troublemakers, or people who just want to stir things up, but those are a lot of bad and not-so-good reviews!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 12:25:13 pm by gazania » Logged
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 06:38:54 pm »

It would not surprise me in the least if EA. decided to flex its muscles. 1.4 million and counting. The vast majority of those are probably more than happy with these neanderthals that pass as sims now.
Nalia
イノセンスはつどう

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 08:05:57 am »

No wonder they can't help anyone, 1.4 millions requests for help, they're overloaded.
Laugh2 Laugh2

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-- William Shakespeare, "Hamlet" (Act 2, scene 2)
"Yes, Sharing is caring, especially caring for the person you're sharing."  -- AxelVal
I said I Love Yuu not you --Nalia
My LiveJournal
saowens
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 11:28:54 am »

I find it interesting that in a world with nearly 7 billion people and an estimated 1 billion pc's in use world wide that EA could only sell 1.4 million copies of the game the first week. That's .0014 percent of the pc users that purchased the game. 1/1000th of a percent world wide.

The game is a world wide product isn't it?

It doesn't sound to me like 1.4 million is that big of a deal like EA wants us to believe.
PixieStyx26

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 12:06:52 pm »

Let us not forget that EA are the kings of spin. They hire people just to spin a negative into a positive picture, so it's not really shocking that they would try to spin 1.4 million sales worldwide into "Biggest launch in EA history." The differences between reviews fans write and reviews the gaming magazines write is laughable to say the least, but then again the fans aren't the ones who are in bed with EA. I mean it's simple politics, newspapers and magazines aren't going to write a negative review when they stand to make so much money in advertising from EA, who not only makes the Sims but a lot of other games. With each new release of the Sims EA cares more and more about money and less and less about making fans happy. Why should they when those die hard fans will always buy Sims games no matter how inferior the product. They know that they can always get by on the Sims name alone. What EA is doing this time is criminal, charging 50 bucks for what is basically the Sims 1.5. Then on top of that charging more money for stuff at their store, than they do for stuff packs. They deliberately leave things out of the first game like pianos and diving boards so they can no doubt charge us for them latter. I'm sorry but anyone who have a hot mess of a game like this more than 3 stars needs to have their head examined.   

:love1::spanish:<br /><br />Caution Tattooed Freak on a Leash may Bite<br /><br />When there\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s no future how can there be sin?-Sex Pistols
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 04:19:56 am »

Apart from get fit ads.,supermarket specials, and all the rest of the drivel that interrupts TV. viewing, we now have 30 seconds of sims 3. No, I kid you not, they're advertising it on Australian television now.
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 04:24:21 am »

Apart from get fit ads.,supermarket specials, and all the rest of the drivel that interrupts TV. viewing, we now have 30 seconds of sims 3. No, I kid you not, they're advertising it on Australian television now.

You can be quite sure that most reviews in the magazines have been bought also. Maybe not directly, but EA is the Big Spender of the business. A word from the eidtor and the writers will have very much fun playing TS3 and enjoy the endless possibilities.
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 04:32:21 am »

They look wonderful in the add, no hint of downs syndrome and really lifelike, just like watching a movie, man oh man are there gonna be some pissed people when they buy it based on what they saw on the tube.
abaris

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 05:43:48 am »

They look wonderful in the add, no hint of downs syndrome and really lifelike, just like watching a movie, man oh man are there gonna be some pissed people when they buy it based on what they saw on the tube.

Just remember the movies for TS2. The butler holding the door for his employers, the fancy car in the driveway. If they haven't learned it by then, they will never learn.
rorsdors

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 06:40:13 am »

I’ve been really put off by all the negative feedback on the forums about Sims3, but I had a rush of blood to the head and bough tit to see what is was like, and it’s brilliant, I never really had a wow about Sims 2, but Sims 3 you really can move all over and enjoy the views, leaving you Sims at home and at work and going off on you  own is amazing. I am very happy with this game and I think as one reviewer said this is the game Sims 2 should have been.
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 07:21:19 am »

I couldn't agree more. The scenery, the freedom to explore 'The game the sims 2 should have been" Now if someone can just do something about those pasty neanderthals.
Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 12:40:23 pm »

The game looks good, but at the core, the gameplay is boring. I don't know why EA spent more effort into making the scenery look good as opposed to making the gameplay amusing. It's just odd and a waste.

This game really isn't a simulation that can keep you playing for 4+ years, it's a RPG that's conquered in a month and forgotten about. I will not accept this abomination as Sims 3. I spent half a year waiting for this game, only to be severely disappointed. angry

(3rd) Ae Young Kim Mother of the Year
Nalia
イノセンスはつどう

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2009, 02:03:00 pm »

*pats Jasumi on the back*

Scenery is nice, seamless neighbourhood is okay, traits are most welcome. That's all. I don't play Sims for its role-playing aspect but for the simulation. Sims are my soap opera. If I can't have that, bye bye.

P.S. A friend of mine was used as my guinea pig. I went at his house, we played the game but after half an hour I started yawning. I will admit I had all the curiosity to take a close look at the game. I am cured now.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-- William Shakespeare, "Hamlet" (Act 2, scene 2)
"Yes, Sharing is caring, especially caring for the person you're sharing."  -- AxelVal
I said I Love Yuu not you --Nalia
My LiveJournal
Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2009, 08:16:29 pm »

lol Nalia, I guess I needed that Superstar

Sims are my soap opera. If I can't have that, bye bye.

Yep. That's what drew me into the game, too. And with families just moving out randomly in Sims 3 no way i can achieve that.

(3rd) Ae Young Kim Mother of the Year
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2009, 01:40:38 am »

You know what the problem is with this game? EA spent too much time hyping and advertising the game, and didn't pull their head out of their a-- to actually improve the game, may I add having a FOUR month delay, and all they did was advertise! I think that is just redicilous, I like many, many others stupidly fell for the hype. I now have wasted 55$ on a game, I was really excited about. The fact that EA sold 1.4 million copies is not a surprise, they had everyone from the get-go and they knew they were making gold. I just don't see why EA doesn't get off their lazy a--es and make a damn patch already, I mean if 4-500 pages on the tech section on the OS doesn't tell you idiots at EA, that 90% of the games problems, isn't on the users end, but on yours, than I don't know what will. No, the problem with the game, is that EA needs to release some sort of super-patch if you will, to weed out all the nonsense so many are having with the game. Some are not even able to play the game! I think the game is another product of poor coding and development, and the four month delay EA had, should have been put into making the game so much more than what it is. I mean c'mon, how many times do you have to tell someone that a game is coming out? Just get in there and make the thing, and people will buy it, and perhaps another 1.4 million would have jumped in, had you made it the way you falsely percieved it to be.. Headwall I don't think TS3 will ever touch the estimated 100 million copies sold that TS2 did so..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: