Insimenator.org
April 27, 2024, 09:12:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Swimming lake fix?  (Read 2538 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2009, 07:42:03 pm »

I recently added (from scratch so to speak) a lake for swimming in my game using a tutorial on MTS2.  It looks lovely and the stairs, board, and slide all work to my satisfaction.  They used it for a few hours, getting in and out to do other things via the ladder as normal, then one of my sims left this way:

He swam past the pool ladder then jumped/crawled out at the front steps and walked into the cottage then dove back into the floor after going in:

Then to my surprise swam to the bathroom:

Since then the two residents seem to arbitrarily decide to walk or swim around certain areas at will.  Not in a glitchy or jump bug way, it appears more by choice then anything like that.   One time they'll swim from the stove to the dining table, next time they'll walk.  They either walk or swim to locations outside or inside, but not all locations (i.e. some they never swim to).  It's amusing to watch but of course no one I know swims to dinner let alone to the sofa to watch TV  Cheesy.  

Neighbors, guests, friends nor service npcs do any of this behavior.  Everyone else walks normally.    Residents are the only ones I've seen use the lake.

The tutorial mentioned there may be a little swimming into fringe areas but said directing them back to the ladder should stop it.  However when I send them to the ladder they don't always go directly to it.   Sometimes they'll swim around the entire perimeter of the house (not on direct lines and using different paths) before returning to the ladder to get out.

Is there a way to correct this--outside of scrapping the entire lot?  I wanted to package the lot for upload but not like this of course.  

Here you see large this lot is:

...so swimmiing the long way back to the ladder takes quite some time.

Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer.

Sims by Dasi:

rwills

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:30:41 pm »

Using a mod (such as Insimenator) or via enabling cheats and then shif-clicking on the affected Sim to force an error, delete the affected Sim from the lot, then exit the lot (yes, do a Save).

When you re-enter the lot, that Sim will be waiting by the mailbox, and the swimming behavior should be gone.

Repeat for any other affected Sims.

Don't delete ALL the Sims on the lot at the same time. At least one selectable Sim must always be present there, otherwise the game will read the lot as unoccupied.

The continuous swimming glitch pops up even with regular pools from time to time.
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:17:53 pm »

I tried that and they were ok until she went swimming in the lake.  Then she swam back to dinner, ate, swam to the (large house) bookshelf next to the computer desk (across the room) to read.  If I direct her to "go here" or "run here" she swims then stands up if she has to bathe, or do whatever action.

I noticed she has the swirling water effect around her neck and shoulders so maybe the swim effect is stuck to her somehow?  The father hasn't been in the lake and walks around normal; I'm going to watch them a bit and see if he changes after a swim in the lake.  

Maybe I can save the lot if I delete the new lake?  Or maybe the water terrain (which is cc) has a glitch.  Thanks for the suggestion though Smiley.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:25:00 pm by DaSpecial1 » Logged

Sims by Dasi:

rwills

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:29:36 pm »

Well, to stop the contiuous swimming, the only way is to do what was mentioned. See also here for more details:

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Force_Error_or_Reset

As to why the glitch is happening, the game may be reading the level of the lake water and the level of the floor as the same, so rebuilding the lake after futzing with the terrain level may help. Or if you happen to have a basement in the house, the game may be reading that floor and the lake as being on the same level.
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 10:53:44 pm »

My goal is to correct the error without deleting the lake if I can.  Although you are correct, reset does stop the continuous swimming until they swim again,  I was saying that reset doesn't solve the cause--not that the instructions were faulty or unclear.

Not sure about floor lvl= water since she also started swimming upstairs.  I've attached a couple error logs. If someone knows how to interpret them please give me an idea of what the text is referring to so I'll know what they mean Wink.

* ObjectError_N001_t165048.txt (88.77 KB - downloaded 119 times.)
* ObjectError_N001_t169124.txt (84.6 KB - downloaded 127 times.)

Sims by Dasi:

rwills

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 11:12:01 pm »

Once the glitch is initiated (that is, once the continuous swimming begins) it will continue until the behavior is deleted by deleting the Sim and exiting and then re-enteing the lot. Upstairs, downstairs -- that doesn't come into play and is irrelevant insofar as having any effect on the incorrect behavior once that behavior (the continuous swimming) has been initiated. The game is likely interpreting the level of some floor and of the lake as the same, so fails to end the swimming behavior expected and performed in the water (i.e., the game is confused enough by what it is internally processing to think the Sim is still subject to animations associated with a pool or lake environment regardless of where the Sim actually physically is, and to not cancel those animations in favor of non-swiming ones).

If you do a Google search on Sims2 swimming glitch you'll find this glitch crops up regularly. Near as I can determine from what you've written, if the lake is left as it is now and not rebuilt or redesigned, then the glitch will keep recurring after using the lake for swimming, as something about its positioning or slope or depth is enough to create the oddity.
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 09:41:26 pm »

Got it, thanks Smiley.  I deleted the lake yesterday, I didn't get a chance to check back here.  It was relief not to have to delete the entire lot, though it was funny for a bit to watch them swim and hop up to the bed, table or sofa.  Perhaps I placed it to close to the cottage foundation.

Thanks for the thorough explanation as it did clarify my understanding of the glitch & it may help someone else down the line.

Sims by Dasi:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: