Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 04:00:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I love the Sims 3. . .an honest review from a veteran Simmer  (Read 9357 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Mairi

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2009, 11:10:32 pm »

As a veteran Sims 1 and 2 player, I love this game. I have built countless houses and families for the Sims 2 (I'm a featured creator at MTS2), and I have found that even with the limited selection of tools and content that comes with the vanilla Sims 3 game, I have more freedom to express my creativity than ever before. With the Sims 2, I often found myself relying on custom content to create the homes that I was dreaming of, and I spent more hours than I can count poring over forums and websites looking for just the right wallpaper, or a couch in just the right color (and I still had to compromise my designs more often than not, based on whatever selections of content were available). So of course I love the create a style tool, that lets me do whatever I want to customize content to my liking, without having to rely on someone else to make my custom content for me. Granted, I wish that more content had been included (I miss a lot of the building tools, especially the two-story windows and the columned arches from the Sims 2), but I hope to see those things in upcoming expansions. Look at the limited content that came with the base Sims 2 game, after all. I can't wait to see what expansions EA releases for the Sims 3.

As for the Sims, I love their new AI. They're much more intelligent, much less whiney, and much more unique and interesting. I love the fact that you can completely customize their personalities, even choosing things such as their favorite foods, music, colors, etc. Awesome! I think that the process of starting families and raising children has also been improved on, and the game overall feels more realistic. I love the new cooking recipes and ingredients, and the fact that you can purchase new books for your library, or buy new recipes to cook. It's fun to stock the fridge with the ingredients that you need for your meals (though you don't have to, you can just pay the cost for the ingredients that you need directly, if you wish), and I love the fact that the leftovers that you put in the fridge will eventually spoil. It's a nice touch of realism. The fact that you can completely customize your Sims' body shapes is nice too, not every Sim should look like a skinny magazine-cover model. People come in all shapes and sizes, and now your Sims can too.

One of the first things I did when I got the game was to build an ultramodern house, all decorated in steel and glass and natural stone. I was able to customize every single thing that I put into the home, so that I was able to achieve exactly the look that I wanted. I have never had so much fun building a Sim house, nor has one ever turned out so spectacularly well. It's on the cliffs overlooking the sea, and my family who lives there loves to sit by the pool, sipping drinks and enjoying the beautiful vista (living in that house with its plentiful big glass windows gives them a huge boost to their mood from the view). Because there aren't any restrictions to where you can place your garage and parking spaces for your vehicles, I was able to build a unique side-entry garage that houses several diagonally parked cars. How cool is that?

I made another little family and started them in Mosquito Cove. Their rustic little home feels so backwoodsy and realistic. They love spending time outside, fishing, grilling hotdogs, and listening to the frogs and crickets at night. The rusty old fridge on the front porch is a nice country touch. The atmosphere of the place is incredible - it's a really well done house, built by someone who is very creative. So it's not the most glamorous place, nor is it a decorator's dream, but it wasn't meant to be. It's amazing how the same items can look completely different in different styles of homes, just by changing the textures. Did you know you can customize every tiny aspect of your Sims' clothing, too? The sheer customizability of everything in the game makes it a very, very shiny toy for an obsessive Sim creator and home builder like me.

Now I'm not saying the game is perfect - there are some things about it that I wish were different - such as not being able to completely disable story progression, and not being able to go into public buildings. I was very disappointed that I couldn't go to work with my Sim, or go with her into the grocery store or bookstore. But who knows, maybe future expansions will provide more options. But overall, the game feels much more polished, powerful, and flexible than the Sims 2. There is much more freedom, both for creativity, and for gameplay. The new interface takes some getting used to if you are accustomed to the Sims 2, but it's very powerful and is a pleasure to use once you learn the controls (as you would have to with any game).

And, some of my male Sims are hot.  Wink

So, that's my two cents worth. Actually, that was more like two dollars, but anyway. . .I just wanted to caution people who are considering buying the game but are having doubts to look into it more before agreeing with all of the people who say that it's a waste of time and money. Everybody is looking for different things from the game. Some people won't like it at all (there were people who hated the Sims 2, as well), but some people, like me, think it's the next best thing to Christmas.

Hugs, and happy simming!
Mairi Grin

http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=835171
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:16:27 pm by Mairi » Logged
jamesabrown1
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 05:28:50 am »

So far Mairi, I must say I like it, too.
Pierre
Retiered from the sims2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 06:17:06 am »

I love the sims3 as well so i can say your not the only 1

Pierre

Please do not pm me about happysimmers this site has been close now if you need any thing please look up this forum thank youhttp://delightfulsims.net/index.php
Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 06:18:33 am »

I would say probably 70% of the people who have bought the game do infact love it very much.

However, I happen to be in that other 30%.

(3rd) Ae Young Kim Mother of the Year
saowens
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 06:28:57 am »

I like the game a lot too. As a base game I think it blows away the sims 2 base game.
gazania
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 08:19:00 am »

I would say probably 70% of the people who have bought the game do infact love it very much.

However, I happen to be in that other 30%.

Looking at the Amazon breakdowns, it might be more like:  

About 46% have a lot of trouble with the game/can't stand it/find something severely lacking (one to two-star)
About 39% really, really like the game/like it very much (four- to five-star)

The rest are three-stars, but this group seems to be growing more than the other two. I'd like to think that's because, perhaps, certain free site creators have significantly contributed to the game's being much more playable for many people, though the game still has its glitches and quirks, and many others still have a lot of trouble with it. In six months or a year, overall impressions of the game might be very different, thanks to these creators. Of course, EA won''t recognize their achievements, but I am floored at how far these creators have come in a short time.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 08:27:02 am by gazania » Logged
Cathy

Call me Annie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 08:58:56 am »

I love TS3 as well. I've been playing the sims game ever since TS1.

I used to be Nyxie
Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 09:34:12 am »

Looking at the Amazon breakdowns, it might be more like: 

About 46% have a lot of trouble with the game/can't stand it/find something severely lacking (one to two-star)
About 39% really, really like the game/like it very much (four- to five-star)

The rest are three-stars, but this group seems to be growing more than the other two. I'd like to think that's because, perhaps, certain free site creators have significantly contributed to the game's being much more playable for many people, though the game still has its glitches and quirks, and many others still have a lot of trouble with it. In six months or a year, overall impressions of the game might be very different, thanks to these creators. Of course, EA won''t recognize their achievements, but I am floored at how far these creators have come in a short time.

Yes, but as for the people who can actually run the game, they seem to really love it. Beats me. I can't get into Sims 3 myself. I'd rather stick to Sims 2 or just hop off the sims franchise personally.

But I think we have to keep in mind most Sims players fall under the "casual" category. To them, Sims 3 is a very impressive game given that they have not played more in-depth and graphically-intensive games than the Sims franchise and maybe online Poker. Being a Mass Effect and GTA:IV fan, Sims 3 falls below my standards quite a bit.

Then we also have the WoW and Dungeon Runner fans, who will quickly fall in love with Sims 3 because it is very similar to a rewards-based RPG.

I think EA did a good job as far as appealing to the right crowd. Unfortunately, those of us who don't fit in are left out of the lore. Hardcore sims fans who love crafting neighborhoods, lots, sims, making movies etc....will probably not be too pleased with it.

Chaavik
Got Blood?
Super Mod

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 06:38:11 pm »

Actually, I wouldn't uninstall Sims 2 because Sims 2 have features I liked the most that Sims 3 lacked:

1. Being able to plop a lot down anywhere in the neighborhood as long as it's connected to the road.
2. Having aliens, vampires, werewolves, bigfoots and even zombies add spice and variety to the kind of Sims residing in the 'hoods (granted that you get mods to enable them to visit anywhere)

Sims 3 do have features I liked the most and thought were interesting, but both games have its own pros and cons. They sort of compliment each other so when you play Sims 3, you would probably find yourself appreciating Sims 2 more.

I've played both games and appreciated Sims 2 a lot for its simplicity and variety whereas it takes more focus and energy to keep track of your Sims in Sims 3 (where they are, what they're doing and whatnot).

With new mods out to make the game more pleasant to play, I would think in time Sims 3 will be appreciated as much as Sims 2 was and will continue to be.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Dancing Squirrels
Don't PM me with demands/requests. Make them here.
Come play Aetolia with us!
lewisb40
Sims 3? Yeah, I like it.

Hard Poop!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 07:10:54 am »

I know what you mean, Chaavik. When I play certain households, I could have up to 5 or 6 sims out on the town, trying to keep up with them is a total challenge. I like it though. Smiley

It's not Sims 2, nothing can be like that. I think after a year of modders doing their thang, This game can be remarkable to play.

Michael J. Jackson - Best Entertainer in the World! 1958-2009  Sleep in Peace, Dear Prince.
Mairi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 12:11:35 pm »

Sims 2 and 3 both have a very different feel, and I can see myself continuing to play my Sims 2 game as well. I have all of the expansions, etc., and love the sheer amount of content that is available. I hope that Sims 3 will mature into that type of game as well, as more expansions and improvements to the game engine are released. Some of the features of the Sims 2 are still quite desirable, such as the ability to create entire neighborhoods with families interacting with one another (the story progression feature and only one available neighborhood template from the Sims 3 makes that difficult - Sims 3 is more suited to a single-family "legacy" type of game).

I have played (and loved) a lot of in-depth and complex games as well, Jasumi, (and I would call myself a hardcore Sims fan, since I've been enjoying the Sims franchise since the Sims 1) but I find that the Sims 3 is still a very relaxing and interesting game to play. The game allows me to express my creativity and have fun creating and living in dream homes that I will probably never have in real life. The Sims is my way of unwinding and enjoying a game that doesn't require a great deal of thought or pressure.

That said, this genre of game doesn't appeal to everybody, as people have individual tastes and look for different things from their gaming experiences.

Mairi  Grin
Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 10:22:47 am »

I have played (and loved) a lot of in-depth and complex games as well, Jasumi, (and I would call myself a hardcore Sims fan, since I've been enjoying the Sims franchise since the Sims 1) but I find that the Sims 3 is still a very relaxing and interesting game to play.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a b.... here. Just making a general observation. And the Sims 3 does have alot of pluses. Hopefully new EPs can fix it's drawbacks as well so you guys can be happier.

lisfyre

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 09:19:34 am »

I'm a fairly new simmer - Dec 2007 so I don't have the unique perspective of you long time simmers.  However, I do like The Sims 3 and the amazing things you can do in that game.  I miss a lot of the things from The Sims 2 like pianos and hot tubs and most especially the ability to move things up and down the walls and stack them.  I am surprised that EA did not include this in the initial game since the paintings and certificates you get are a lot.  I've run out of wall space putting all these up specially the paintings.  I love the new painting skill Cheesy  I also miss the seasons but that can be incorporated in the next EP.  I love that Sims don't stamp their feet and complain about the pathing anymore, they just wait their turn then go... unless you're like me and put the shower in backwards and didn't realize until the sim walked out of the house to get to the shower and couldn''t..... LOL Smiley  Other than that, I love this new game and look forward to our modders and artists and hackers in the community to make it more fabulous Smiley

There's my 2 simoleons worth  Rock

The battle of the sexes will never be won.  We fraternize too much with the enemy.:lurk:
Mairi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 12:42:28 pm »

I agree, Lisfyre, and I miss the pianos and hot tubs too (expansions, hopefully?). And it's good to get an honest perspective from you as well, Jasumi, you brought up some excellent points about the game.

Mairi   Grin
deroger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 11:51:20 am »

I've spent some time now just PLAYING TS3 instead of posting. I try to keep track with some of the mods and (free) addendums by the fan community, but compared to TS1&2, I've become more picky.

So, despite the altered gameplay, what I like best so far is the opportunity to recolor/retexture most of the stuff. Where in TS2 I had to use a completely different set of clothes/furniture (or spent considerable time cloning + recoloring it), I now just "drop" a different texture set on a stencil. Colour matching never was that easy. I like the movement concept (cars/bikes/on foot) and honestly don't miss the surplus options what to do with or in the car.

What I miss, well, my personal fave add-ons were AL and Seasons. I miss the weather, as flawed as it was, and I liked the apartment concept, though it was grossly over-expensive. So for now, my 3rdGen-Sims AGAIN have to live in SoCal, so it seems, and they really have to move in for a family-like structure instead of renting a flat.

It's no use cursing EA for its paycrap concept, they don't care an eff anyway. Thankfully, after just two months, we find the first custom(ized) meshes, and Shaklin has anounced decyphering animation code. So there is hope the S3-community will get past the usual starter-pack shortcomings of too few tasteful stuff.

I'd say, give it a go.

Torsten
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: