Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 03:19:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please...Is there any way to restore files??!!  (Read 3986 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2009, 11:53:02 pm »

I have  been so devestated today. I accidentally overwrote my downloads folder with another folder named 'downloads' which I thought WAS my main folder. I recently uninstalled all my games except for Double Deluxe, to make harddrive space for that stupid TS3 game, and now everything is gone! I am so upset! GAH2 I was just wondering is there any way I can get my folder back, like through my registry or something? I tried system restore but it didn't work..I am just feel so overwhelmed trying desperatley to get back everything I had a day ago. I mean I had over 2 GB of downloads! I am crushed, and I think I just may be screwed, so any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Cry

Thanks all
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 12:46:22 am »

I'm sorry that happened to you.

I honestly don't think your Registry would hold information on your Downloads. That's for programs you install only and information about your hardware and drivers.

I think you may be up ka-ka creek without a paddle.

I have three different folders on my hard drive. One is all my ZIP/RAR files. One is the actual Downloads folder itself and a backup one. I like to be prepared for something, just in case.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 01:08:09 am »

If you overwrote the file, then that is that and there is nothing else you can do.

However, if you at any time (the more recently, the better) made a back-up of your files (which is at the very least a recommended step before installing or uninstalling any EPs/SPs), then you could just copy and paste the contents of the back-up Downloads folder into your now empty folder. Even if not a very recent back-up, you would at least restore whatever percentage of your Downloads that was in the back-up.

SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:17:16 am »

Oh no! I was afraid that was what you all were going to say. I thought I WAS making a backup when I put my downloads folder on my desktop for safekeeping, but what I accidentally dragged to the desktop, was my downloads folder from that stupid The Sims Life Stories game!! shocked I can't believe this! I am so mad, this is going to take so long, but atleast now I can get on the internet, at any time of the day and stay on as long as I need to, because of a new phone I just got installed. So maybe there is hope... anyway thanks guys for trying to help, this just really SUCKS! Cry
gali

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 09:32:21 am »

Oh my, I really feel your anger and sorrow. If it would happen to me, I would cry too - I worked over several years to collect items! Cry

For the future: never ever never drag a folder from/to the game to the desktop, or anywhere. First, copy it, then pass to driver D and paste it. Check if it has the right files, then go back to the game, and delete the folder.

There is a way to restore the Downloads folder, but it demands an outside  packaged lot, in which you used the custom objects.
For instance, I always package my lots to files, and after they are sent to the PackagedLots folder - I copy and paste the folder to driver D, just to be sure that the custom content won't be lost.

Now, if you lost your Downloads folder (as you did) - just install several lots you built and used there custom content. When you install them, all the downloads you used will appear in your Downloads folder.

So Sorry... Cry

SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 10:00:07 pm »

Thank you for your concern gali. I usually have no problems pulling files out of my directory, and out onto my desktop but I accidentally grabbed the WRONG folder from the wrong EA directory and thats how I got screwed. I am over it though, for the most part.. I have learned from my mistakes, and am trying not to overload my folder with useless crap, that I will NEVER use. I know what's good and what's lame, now that I have seen so much content. I am getting there though, slowly but surely. The main thing that hurt me so much is loosing things, you can't download anywhere, and that is things that I spent my time creating. I spent litterally months on clothes for my sims, and I went through alot of resources to make them, and I can hardly build a carboard box, but at times I would have a sudden adrendaline rush, and stay up hours constructing in my mind, beautiful lots that I put alot of love into and now they are all gone.. Cry

I'm trying not to think about everything I lost, because it makes me want to slap myself in the face, for being so careless and not double checking the file... I appreciate everyone expressing there concerns though, it really does help to know people care. Hug2
Nalia
イノセンスはつどう

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 03:48:30 am »

I had screwed my game so badly once that I was on the verge of a nervous crisis. But there is one thing you can do to prevent future frustration: backups!

Now I always back up at least the currently active neighbourhood after each playing session, and my Downloads folder after installing new content. And because there is always possible something to go wrong, I don't delete the old backups. I keep them all naming them after the dates they are created.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-- William Shakespeare, "Hamlet" (Act 2, scene 2)
"Yes, Sharing is caring, especially caring for the person you're sharing."  -- AxelVal
I said I Love Yuu not you --Nalia
My LiveJournal
scubabri

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 04:35:07 am »

I had 12 Gigs in my downloads folder when I overwrote mine.....I feel your pain.
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 09:12:28 am »

-cringes- Oh my goodness scubabri! I wouldn't even be trying again if I lost that much, I do love the game though.

Nalia I know this is a silly question, but how would I make a proper backup? I am  just so afraid I'll mess up again, I kind of know how, but just want to make certain that, that is the correct way in doing so. Wink
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 02:14:24 pm by SimGirl20 » Logged
Nalia
イノセンスはつどう

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 10:40:13 am »

Naria is someone else. I'm Nalia. Cheesy

Back up is any copy of whatever you create and store to a different location. Right click, copy and paste to somewhere else. I copy my Download folder, for example, to another partition of my hard disk, create a .rar file to bring the file size down a bit, and either leave it there or burn it to a CD. Same goes for my Neighbourhood folder.

By using copy and paste there is no way you would mess up things.

"Yes, Sharing is caring, especially caring for the person you're sharing."  -- AxelVal
My LiveJournal
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 02:17:17 pm »

I apologize Nalia, I could have sworn your l was an r this morning at around 8 a.m. lol! Cheesy Thanks for letting me know how to do that backup, could I just copy and paste my downloads folder to my desktop or my documents, and then paste it back in to my directory if anything goes awry? huh
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 02:32:14 pm »

When my dl folder was under four gigs, it was easy for me to make a back up. I'd just plug in my memory stick, open it up, and drag and drop the thing over there. Wait a few minutes and boom, there is my back up. Sadly, it now takes about one DVD and one CD to save all of my content to. I've gotta get an eight gig stick, that's all there is to it...

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 08:50:28 am »

Thanks Paden, I'll have to look into getting a USB drive then so I'll be prepared for any more mishaps ha-ha. Wink
Nalia
イノセンスはつどう

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 06:56:29 am »

could I just copy and paste my downloads folder to my desktop or my documents, and then paste it back in to my directory if anything goes awry? huh

Sorry for not having replied this one earlier.
The answer is yes, you can do that. Any part of your computer, except your EA Games folder, will do.

My LiveJournal
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 08:12:43 am »

Thanks Nalia, I kind of thought so. I just wanted to make sure, and I don't know what possesed me to overwrite that damn folder, and let along not even double check the file size! Talk about a brain fart.. tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: