Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 09:25:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: More RAM v. Better Graphic Card  (Read 2865 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
scarletlady
Engaged

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2009, 08:21:12 pm »

Alright, remember I was having http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,106179.msg1548100.html#msg1548100 < that [and more] problem? Well, several people recommended I update my drivers, and I did, but it's still funny, the graphics and such, and it keeps crashing on me and the screen keeps going blue while it waits to do something very frequently :\

Anyway, i've had two more suggestions, more RAM [as I have 2 x 3.20Ghz processors and 1GB of RAM] or a better graphics card.

I'm leaning more towards the RAM because of the blue screen, but I just wondered what you guys' thoughts were Smiley I'm also going to buy some compressed air to clean the inside of my computer & the fans.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 08:22:37 pm »

More RAM and save up for a good graphics card. Smiley

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 08:38:50 pm »

Do you have a desktop or laptop?  With a laptop you may be better off replacing it.  Laptop memory was expensive last time I checked and replacing the video card even more expensive.

What video card to you have now?  I didn't see it posted in the linked thread or here.  256 video RAM or less and I'd say the that updated.

Can you afford to get both?  Desktop RAM is cheap.  Video cards with 512 KB of ram are cheap.
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 09:05:13 pm »

As in the dark as to what graphics card you may have, several things you still can try:

Use these cheats:

boolprop useShaders false
boolprop objectShadows false
vsync off

You'll be missing as few things afterwards in the game, such as fish in tanks or ponds (all interactions will still work - the fish will just be effectively invisible), but that's the trade-off.

Also, in Game Options, turn off reflections and try bumping down game settings from High to Medium if any are set at High. That can help reduce the strain on the graphics.

scarletlady
Engaged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 09:10:18 pm »

How do you find out what your graphic card is?

I have a desktop, it was my fiance's but he gave it to me [I don't know why, it's pretty good!].

I don't *think* we can afford both, but i've only really looked into the RAM side of it.

I'll try those too, thank you rwills Smiley
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 09:23:51 pm »

How do you find out what your graphic card is?

Follow only the steps in the Quick Summary section, here:

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:System_Specs
scarletlady
Engaged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 09:41:42 pm »

Ahh thank you Smiley

==System==
Operating System: Microsoft XP Home Edition
System Manufacturer: To be filled by O.E.M
System Model: To be filled by O.E.M
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz [2 CPUs]
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 1142MB used, 1322MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

==Display==
Name: ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip Type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor
Approx. Total Memory: 128.0MB
Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.6925

==Sound==
Name: C-Media Rear Panel Audio
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 09:58:21 pm »

You can pick up a video card with 512 KB of RAM for less the $75.  Closer to $50 for a number of manufacturers.  2GB of RAM will run $25 or so.  Probably your best bet would be to take your system information, in particular the manufacturer and model number, to Best Buy and see what the geeks there can come up with.  Make sure you take a look at what cards EA recommends so you can get something that will work with a minimum of problems.  The RAM is the more particular part.  It needs to match the specs required for the motherboard.  Knowing the manufacturer and model, the geeks can figure it out.

In my opinion, if you can only afford one, get the video card first.
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 10:53:27 pm »

Well, that should handle from base game up through OFB okay (ditto the firdst few Service Packs only), but anything beyond that might gets iffy, as it is only a 128mb graphics device.

Tell you what, though. As you have a multi-core processor machine (Sims2 has been known to experience problems on duo core or quad core machines), you might try adjusting the affinity of the game, as outlined here:

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Dual_Core_Issues

1 gig of RAM (which is what you've got) is a 'sweet spot' for Windows XP (XP really, really likes that amount). You could increase the RAM to, say, 2 gigs, but the performance might not really be all that much affected. Anything beyond 2 gigs is pretty much just throwing your money away if you've got XP.

Based on your specs (and on your original question), suggest opting for exploring a replacement card rather than RAM. Note that, depending on the architecture and slots built into your machine, it may or may not have been built to support a 512mb card, but might top out at supporting a 256mb card. That info is almost surely on the manufacturer's site or if you have a computer geek friend, they can look up for you in no time flat what types of graphics cards the machine/model you have was built to support.

scarletlady
Engaged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 11:18:52 pm »

Ahh brilliant, I really appreciate all the help by the way Smiley

My fiance still wants to talk to the guys in the computer shop [I don't know why, I trust your advice over theirs, though you never know it might be the same, but he's the one paying for it so...!]

I'll definately take on board what you've said and get him to read these posts [i've already read them aloud but i'm not sure if he was listening].

So thank you Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: