Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 05:39:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else sick of Materialistic Sims  (Read 8693 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
PixieStyx26

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2009, 02:58:29 pm »

angry One thing that has bugged me about all of the Sims games is how materialistic the Sims are. I've been playing a family that is just starting out and doesn't have much, I don't want them to. Yet one of my Sims wants is to buy a refrigerator costing at least 1,000 dollars. Why? Why would food taste better just because you have a more expensive stove or refrigerator? Especially if your Sim is a natural cook. Why would you get more cable channels just because you have a more expensive TV? Why does a Sim always have to get a promotion? I find it kind of insulting that they don't consider being a police officer or lieutenant a good enough job, my boyfriend who's a police officer himself would beg to differ. What's wrong with just being a nurse? Most nurses DO NOT want to be doctors. Sorry that's just one of the things that's ALWAYS bugged me about the Sims and I had to get off my chest.  Evil

:love1::spanish:<br /><br />Caution Tattooed Freak on a Leash may Bite<br /><br />When there\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s no future how can there be sin?-Sex Pistols
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:03:48 pm »

It doesn't bug me so much. If I don't want to fulfill the wish, I'll just right click to get rid of it. Something else will pop up for them. Smiley Sure it can be a PITA to see them show up, but what I like about this game is I can deny them wishes if I don't want to fulfill it, unlike TS2 when I have to wait for the wants to rollover again, and even then it would sometimes take a few sims days for that want to go away.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
fglrxandyou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 03:21:50 am »

I agree, there should be a 'nonmaterialist' trait (or something) which would eliminate acquisition-based wishes.

But, at the risk of being disagreeable, I just wanted to note that yes, a more expensive Fridge or Stove/Oven -can- lead to better tasting food.  Higher quality kitchen hardware allows people who know how to use that hardware properly to provide more consistent flavors.  I don't know how to store food very well, so I'm not one of those people, but certain Fridges have zones set up for specific food items, which allow those items to stay fresher, longer, and not take on the flavors around them.

On the other hand, stoves and ovens I can say that there are a wide variety of types of both (gas, electric, wood, induction, convection) all of which can lead to very different results depending on the skill of the cook.  This is probably why such items also increase your sim's skill gain.

so, sorry to nit pick :-x, I still agree it'd be nice if not every sim was obsessed with Moving Up.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 08:25:56 am »

angry One thing that has bugged me about all of the Sims games is how materialistic the Sims are. I've been playing a family that is just starting out and doesn't have much, I don't want them to. Yet one of my Sims wants is to buy a refrigerator costing at least 1,000 dollars. Why? Why would food taste better just because you have a more expensive stove or refrigerator?
It just does. In TS3, this is a very reasonable want, and, in fact, you should never get the cheapest fridge because it will penalize your sims with a negative moodlet.
HylianWolf
Resident Wolf

I'll do whatever you say...just don't take my CC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 09:17:58 pm »

YES!!! I have a Ganondorf fortune sim and he ALWAYS wants expensive stuff. Like, I had to buy him a bowling alley after the "buy a game costing at least $5000" kept popping up night after night. Gahh, I know he's a fortune sim but he's soooo needy!!!

PLEASE NOTE: I AM A WOLF FROM HYRULE. Also I like to mess around in BodyShop with stuff. Have a nice day Smiley

Upcoming Projects:
None

842 total downloads as of 3/19/12 @ 1:48 PM PST
Thanks for those that like my creations ^_^
Zooey
aka The Creeper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 02:40:04 am »

^^ We were... talking 'bout Sims 3 here.

It doesn't really bug me, because I always use either "kaching" 10 times or "motherlode" or "familyfunds". And I usually don't even look at the wishes panel, cause I don't care. Free will is off, "Make all happy", "Make needs static" is on, so I rarely do wishes, and that just for fun.

Please? *makes puppy face*
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 11:59:39 am »

NECROMANCY IS BAD, M'KAY!?!?

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: