Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 05:29:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 214
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you currently doing (besides being here)?  (Read 1194392 times)
0 Members and 4 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: January 21, 2011, 01:18:43 pm »

True, our bodies haven't changed much over the years, but our lifestyle definitely has, which means our diet needs to change. We are not nearly as active as our hunter/gatherer ancestors. Not by half. The reason why a diet high in fat and calories was ideal for our Stone Age ancestors is they spent the majority of their waking hours at a high level of activity. They needed the energy stores to be able to keep it up. Also, they spent more time than we do today exposed to the elements, so any small amount of insulating fat stores would have been helpful. Not for just warmth, but to help ward against lean periods of time when food was scarce. Activity helps the body process cholesterol and all those things that can be bad if they build up in the body too much.

Today, we are largely a sedentary race. Our food is gathered for us. We live in homes built for us and wear clothes made for us. We sit and watch tv, much work is done on computers and we call it a great day when we can get a solid 45 minutes of exercise in. Our lifestyle has changed too much in the past century alone for us to continue eating in the same manner.

When I mentioned a good diet is one high in soluble fiber, it didn't mean one high in carbs. The two don't necessarily go hand in hand. Things like flax, bran cereals, non-starchy veggies and low-sugar fruits are all low in carbs and high in soluble fiber (mustard greens, endive, unsweetened coconut, broccoli, etc). Wink

Right now, I'm enjoying a fantastic cup of coffee and enjoying the antics of my cat. He's such a card.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: January 21, 2011, 02:29:55 pm »

I've been contemplating some serious life issues lately so of course I need the tools: about to set up my new coffee maker and brew some tea Wink.

Sims by Dasi:

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1502 on: January 21, 2011, 02:48:58 pm »

Joy,

Fibre is basically the same as carbs, it's just slow carbs instead of fast carbs. They trigger the same need for insulin, and while they rise the blood sugar level slower, it still rises. We humans are not built to digest fibre, we are instead meant to digest mostly fat. So if we do take away carbs (both types) from our food, we need to add something else. Too much proteins isn't good, so fat is what is left. If eating more fat than carbs (be it the slow or fast ones), much less insulin goes out to the body, and instead we will burn fat because that's now the best resource for energy (since insulin hinders fat from burning, and makes cells open up for the glucose).

Why do people become insulin resistent in the first place? Why do the pancreas get tired and stop working? Maybe it could be because the body tells us that "enough is enough..."?

Those who live an active life might have more to gain from carbs, as they need more quick energy. Still, they don't seem to have very much to gain from it, either. Take sumo wrestlers in Japan, for instance. They use carbs as a way to gain weight - not much fat, as most people think they do. Still, they get diabetes 2 and cardiovascular problems, and live shorter than other Japanese.

Some people with epilepsy actually benefit from going over to a similar diet (ketogen diet). Burning ketogens instead of glucose seems to have a more positive effect on the brain and heart. Did you know that there is research going on about Alzheimers (which has shown to have similarities with diabetes - as several people with the disease are insulin resistent), and whether or not it can be called "Diabetes 3"? Diabetics are more in danger of Alzheimers, which is one of the long term complications. (more)

I think the biggest problem with this diet is that it stands on shaky ground because we're pre-disposed to feel like we need to stay away from fat. There is not much recent scientific material - but why? If it shows to have benefits for a large group of people, why not do research to figure out if it really is the right way to go? Medicine industy, for instance, seems not to be interested in sponsoring it because if it does work, then there would be less need for medical insulin, and less money to be gained...

I think my stomach actually liked the high fat food better. Didn't "say a word" all of yesterday, after dinner. I'm not very into this food yet (I think I need more recipes), but today when I ate more carb filled food (high-fibre bread, wheat cakes with loads of salad), my stomach has been protesting quite a lot... I'm usually very much for processed "healthiest choice I can find" store food. They're often high in carbs, very often "hidden" carbs (added sugar or sweeteners for taste, and amyloids from grain or potatoes). Now, I found myself looking for the basic ingredients, and experimenting with these - simply because the "healthy" processed food is often low in fat. I also enjoyed cooking, for a change...

A few links, just in case you're interested. There are a bunch of links in my language, but I couldn't find many good ones in English - here, here and here (not directly LCHF, but more on how and why the method works)

(That was even more than two cents, sorry... Just bear with me if I've written some details wrong - I've barely started getting into this, and we've not even started anatomy at school yet, so I'm not very steady on that part of it)

*goes back to school assignment*
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 02:54:34 pm by Theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: January 21, 2011, 03:13:07 pm »

Well, at this point, Theraven, I'm going to just agree to disagree. My knowledge comes from a lifetime of experience in dealing directly with diabetes, both type I and II. Smiley I know for a fact not all fiber (or carbs) is the same and not all fiber is insoluble, hence my stating of "soluble" fiber. There are beneficial, helpful fibers we have been eating since the beginning of time. We are omnivores, not pure carnivores. Wink I also know not all fat is equal, and I'm just as against a diet cutting out every source of fat.

But, as I said, I think now is a good time to agree to disagree, rather than drag this thread off topic any further. Smiley

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1504 on: January 21, 2011, 03:17:06 pm »

I agree to disagree, too Wink

My site:

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: January 21, 2011, 03:23:21 pm »

Life lesson: Open your gifts right away. My new coffeemaker has to be exchanged so now no tea or coffee till I can get to the (far away) store Sad. Bummer, I think I'll have some juice.

Sims by Dasi:

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1506 on: January 22, 2011, 03:42:02 pm »

I think I'm FINALLY done with ch.62 of LFB. At least, I'm putting down the foot now. Just some finishing touches left (adding in pictures and editing it for posting). Up by tomorrow, I hope.

Then I can finally start working on the next chapter...

My site:

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: January 22, 2011, 03:54:29 pm »

I'm thinking of making some hot tea and then curling up with my cat and good book. It seems like a good way to pass a rainy day.

Zooey
aka The Creeper

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: January 22, 2011, 04:02:56 pm »

At least you have a rainy day, Joy, I have a snowy one. I'm sick and tired of snow. It's been enough! Caput!

Please? *makes puppy face*
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: January 22, 2011, 09:26:39 pm »

Joy inspired me to try and make coffee as it's a rainy chilly day here too. Then GAH3 I was out of filters, had only whole beans and no grinder. Happy to say my girls crushed the beans just right, grabbed a paper towel and brewed me the best tasting coffee ever  Grin. The whole house smells like a doughnut shop/starbucks, aahhhh.

I am blissfully eating a steak on a bun and sipping my brew Coffee2.

Sims by Dasi:

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: January 22, 2011, 09:32:01 pm »

At least you have a rainy day, Joy, I have a snowy one. I'm sick and tired of snow. It's been enough! Caput!

Today's rainy day washed away all the snow. Smiley

And, Dasi, glad I inspired you. I just finished a salmon fillet, steamed carrots and a nice salad. I'm now deciding if I'll do my dishes tonight or just leave them for tomorrow morning. I feel lazy. LOL.

DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: January 22, 2011, 10:06:52 pm »

Great now I want salmon fillet Cheesy. I'm not so sure it was a wise decision (since it was about 4:30 pm when I drank those two cups of coffee) but it sure was tasty. I needed an energy boost though, been having one to many late nights with baby. Now she's taken to long hours of cooing and playing in the middle of the night.  Turn out all the lights and she still kicks, plays, and talks forever.  Still at least it's joyful and not teary or colicky.

Currently I'm busy playing w/baby in an attempt to change her sleeping habits. Also surfing to try and find a movie to watch that the kids haven't seen before.

Sims by Dasi:

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1512 on: January 26, 2011, 05:03:20 pm »

Just ate dinner (very late...). Taco-spiced meat farce in some kind of tomato sauce, and oven-baked eggstuffing/omelet with broccoli and avocado. First time I've eaten avocado, actually. For dessert (or rather first course, since it was done first), oven-baked raspberry omelet (almost like a pie without bottom). And I made it all myself, without a recipe Grin. Tasted really good!

Now - surf on the net a bit more, then clean up a bit on my room, and then go to bed.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:41:24 pm by Theraven » Logged

My site:

Osaga12
Loot Looker

It's that time again.

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: January 29, 2011, 01:58:06 am »

Looking for new music to listen to.

There is no duty we undderate so much as the duty of being happy. - Robert L.S
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: January 30, 2011, 11:24:17 pm »

Craving pb&j to go with my soup and wishing this back pain would ease up.

Sims by Dasi:

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 214
  Print  

Jump to: