Insimenator.org
April 26, 2024, 02:32:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with my game!  (Read 5391 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
SouthernBelle82

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2009, 08:09:45 pm »

So I tried asking this over at ModtheSims but haven't had a response yet.  For the last little while with my game whenever I click for my Sims to do things sometimes it won't do it and it will interrupt during a task and start over.  Like last night I had my Sims use the toilet and during the middle of using it the Sim stood up and restarted.  The task completed however.  I also kept trying to get my Sim to change clothes by clicking on a dresser and no matter how many times I do it it won't do it.  It's such a pain.  I have recently added some mod things to the game from Back Alley Sims and I've never had trouble with them before.  So I'm just so unsure of what to do.  :\ Thank you to anyone who can help!
ladymiriam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 03:58:17 am »

I don't know specifically what your problem is but it's likely to something in your DL folder, a broken file or more likely conflicting hacks-harder to find.  Run Hack detection Utility from Paladin's Place/Sim's Wardrobe as a starting point, it shows which hacks may conflict.  This is a starting point, as it doesn't tell you what the problem is but you'd be surprised at the kinds of things that can conflict.  Are you sure your stuff is all up to date, corresponding to your latest EP? I think I heard that the jumping thing was related to an outdated hack-someone will correct me if I'm wong. It's an awkward game, sometimes it's an object on the lot that causes the problem, other times it's something you haven't used yet.  If you use downloaded lots, these also can sneak things into your folder you're not aware of.  Always use the Clean Pack Installer from Delphy.  Do you know how to get an error report? Having a look at that may help, if not you then maybe someone here can understand it-I unfortunately can't.  I'm not an expert, as I recall you type the cheat "boolprop testingcheatsenabled true" (no quotes), an error pops up then you have some options, I always press delete-I don't know if this is right but I've never been bothered about anything other than finding the file, I'll delete a neighbourhood if I have to.  You may get more than one error.  The message box will tell you where it has saved the error log.  You may want to leave the error report until someone can confirm the procedure I have given in debug mode, as some call it, because it is not for the lighthearted.  Remember to close the cheat, replacing "true" with "false", taking you back to normal play mode.  A binary search is always the last resort to find problem files, but it will probably work.

SouthernBelle82

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 08:16:39 pm »

Thank you for the help.  I think it has something to do with the download folder too but not sure what so I'll check out that first option you mentioned.  Thank you! Smiley
SouthernBelle82

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 11:47:45 pm »

Where do I go to get the hack?  Do you think you can post a direct link?
Squinge
Spamming Dork
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:52:15 pm »

Please don't bump you're thread edit your post instead Grin

If you have a question about my mods post it here
ladymiriam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 04:29:28 am »

The Hack Detection Utility is at Paladin's Place, Google it then Sims 2>Programs, second one down.  All I'm getting for a link is www.simwardrobe.com.  As I said, this is a starting point for hacks, and some hack conflicts are not a problem, or meant to be like that.  I've never heard of Back Alley Sims so don't know about their hacks but  I had a simlilar experience with a hacked dresser, luckily I just got rid of the dresser and it all went ok again.  Mixing and matching hacks can be a difficult job.  I've learned from many binary searches (and from all the folks here) to always check the compatabilities any hack and not to double up hacks-pick one that does the job you want.  I would suspect that most of the hacks from your site are compatible but may not play so happily with those from other sites.  Anway, good luck.

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 12:25:58 pm »

Keep in mind, as well, the HCDU will display potential conflicts, not guaranteed conflicts. Some them will be benign and won't effect your game. The only way to test it 100% is to remove the mods in question and replace them one at a time.

Lady mentioned using the boolprop cheat to create an error log. This may actually help narrow it down further. Take a look at this 'how to' and, when you have the log, you can upload it as an attachment so we can take a look at it. If you're not sure how to attach the log file, just click on "Additional Options" when you're typing your reply and you'll see the option there to attach a file from your computer. Smiley

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
SouthernBelle82

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 11:09:17 pm »

The Hack Detection Utility is at Paladin's Place, Google it then Sims 2>Programs, second one down.  All I'm getting for a link is www.simwardrobe.com.  As I said, this is a starting point for hacks, and some hack conflicts are not a problem, or meant to be like that.  I've never heard of Back Alley Sims so don't know about their hacks but  I had a simlilar experience with a hacked dresser, luckily I just got rid of the dresser and it all went ok again.  Mixing and matching hacks can be a difficult job.  I've learned from many binary searches (and from all the folks here) to always check the compatabilities any hack and not to double up hacks-pick one that does the job you want.  I would suspect that most of the hacks from your site are compatible but may not play so happily with those from other sites.  Anway, good luck.

I found it and tried using it but almost half way through it would just pop up a message about an error and I had to quit.  :\
ladymiriam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 06:08:56 am »

Och, that's a bit rubbish for you.  I take it you tried more than once? I've had issues with that programme myself, the last time I had a problem with a hack but you can find user support for it at Simlogical.  I appreciate no one wants to do a binary search, the methods that I have found to help/work are firstly, the error report-it can sometimes pin point exactly the problem file/s.  If it's related to an object that you have placed on the lot, rebuilding the lot and test playing after every few items added can lead to the problem object also.  Obviously, you have to build on a lot that you've moved a sim into.  Check every one of your hacks, go back to the source and make sure you have the correct version and check their compatabilities with other hacks you know you have.  Make sure also have you have all files needed for your hacks-I had a hellish time because I didn't get the patches for a hack.  The Download Organiser at MTS can help with sorting/identifiying files in your folder if there are any you're unsure of.  If you have to go through your download folder, start with the hacks.  Take everything out except the hacks, and if it is a hack related problem you'll know, then it's just a case of narrowing it down.  There is no easy, non time consuming way to solve these problems unfortunately.  Good advice, you'll find elsewhere on this site, is to keep subfolders-ah, now there's a thing.  I read that if a path name is too long, then the HDU can't handle it.  If you already sub folder, try shortening the names of folders.  Sims Design Avenue/Caravan Sims have really long folder names, which makes for a longer path, for instance.  Anyway, as I was going to say keep sub folders, initially dating them perhaps so you know when they were put in before moving them to your descriptive folders when you know they are ok in game.  I always keep hacks seperate in the main download folder, just because I don't know if they can be subfoldered.  Good luck anyway.

caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 10:40:00 am »

Mods and hacks can be put in a subfolder. I always keep my mods in their own subfolder for easy location. If there's a problem and I know it's a mod conflict, all I have is a subfolder to yank out and weed through, rather than scouring through my entire Downloads file and picking them out.

Some people have their downloads so organized by type and site, etc., but I find I don't really need to. I have a subfolder called "New" for anything I've installed in the past two weeks, so if there's something wrong with something I've recently downloaded, it's easy to find. I have one for my meshes (easier to see what I have when I come across cc that requires a certain mesh), one for my hacks and mods and another for my default replacements. Smiley

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
borsco

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 07:12:33 am »

If it was something like error 53 where it can't find the support dll, then you have to make a new folder, eg on your desktop, then unzip the hack detection utility into there and run it from there.
SouthernBelle82

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 12:34:48 pm »

Hi everyone.  I was able to fix the game and now it works fine.  I'm not sure what was wrong so I decided to save all my download stuff in another folder and restarted everything and it seems to now work fine.  Smiley I have no idea what went wrong but it was something in my downloads stuff so I'm glad of that.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: