Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 10:36:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS: TSR INSTALLS SPYWARE ON YOUR COMPUTER!  (Read 18227 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Roxy2004

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 04:28:22 pm »

The latest version of the tool comes up clean.  The previous version was tested and threw AV warnings.  This is hard to type(no love for TSR), but TSR did seem to respond to the test results and had a fix about 24hrs later. 

If I had Sims 3 would still use Delphy's instead of TSR.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 02:52:25 am »

More like, "They got busted, so they changed the hiding method".
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 08:22:18 am »

Exactly.

Sims by Dasi:

Chaavik
Got Blood?
Super Mod

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 11:05:52 am »

Actually, don't even bother with TSR or its tool. There are better tools out there that can do a fantastic job once you learn how to use them properly.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Dancing Squirrels
Don't PM me with demands/requests. Make them here.
Come play Aetolia with us!
Roxy2004

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 02:06:03 pm »

The tool was very poorly programmed according to my source.  You are giving TSR's programmers to much credit that they actually know what they are doing and could hide something in the code.

Would I ever use TSR's tool, no.  I like dealing with reputable sites. 

Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 09:15:44 pm »

You aren't giving them credit enough for being the sneaky slime that they actually are, and I speak of one that has had a personal website's security threatened by something they have done.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
Roxy2004

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 12:36:57 am »

All I was addressing was the security issues with the TSR tool.  While I believe the things I have heard about TSR and firmly believe they are not to be trusted, all the testing addressed was the tool itself.  Prism in no way helped them fix the issues, simply tested it before and after for security issues.  It will continue to be tested.

The other issues with TSR need to be brought to the authorities.  I'm sorry your private site was threatened. 

thunderlord

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 04:25:38 am »

That's insane!
Not much of a surprise, admittedly, but still that spells bad news bears for TSR.

I don't think that EA's Securom would be on the same wavelength as this atrocity, as EA's intentions were to eliminate piracy (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not much of a Simmer these days Smiley ), whereas this is just theft on its own. (again, citation needed Wink )

but like i always say i believe once u by it u own it and u have full rights to copy the damn thing as many times u want nomater if its a game, music or movie.. u should be alowed to copy it as much as u like for and i repeat ONLY FOR BACK UP OR PERSONAL USE.
thunderlord

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 04:33:50 am »

All I was addressing was the security issues with the TSR tool.  While I believe the things I have heard about TSR and firmly believe they are not to be trusted, all the testing addressed was the tool itself.  Prism in no way helped them fix the issues, simply tested it before and after for security issues.  It will continue to be tested.

The other issues with TSR need to be brought to the authorities.  I'm sorry your private site was threatened. 

lol no kidding i gone there looking up a sim on google and i got a vruis.
jamesabrown1
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 05:24:54 am »

but like i always say i believe once u by it u own it and u have full rights to copy the damn thing as many times u want nomater if its a game, music or movie.. u should be alowed to copy it as much as u like for and i repeat ONLY FOR BACK UP OR PERSONAL USE.

I agree but the copyright law was changed as of November 11, 2003. Only copy software that pre-dates that is "grandfathered" in and such copying allowed. This was the outcome of people downloading music and copying CDs and DVDs and re-selling them for fun and profit bypassing the income rights (via royalties) to the artists and producers. We all may agree or disagree but the sad fact is, it is the law. Prior to that date, the statement about back up or personal use was the law. The law applies to all copyrighted material, including computer software.
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 05:40:02 am »

Guess that makes the guy in college that made me a music cd (copy) to express his feelings a criminal.  So much for romance—those were the days... coffee

Sims by Dasi:

Chaavik
Got Blood?
Super Mod

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 10:49:58 am »

This is going off topic. We're not going to have any flame war over music, copy rights, laws and whatnot. Keep it in line.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Dancing Squirrels
yesterdame

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 10:11:01 pm »

ATTENTION EVERYONE!  Not everything that your virus detection software detects as "risky" is actually a virus. Virus detection software detects potential viruses by checking for files that attempt to change your system registry, DLLS, or configuration files. Many of the thing being created for the SIMS 3 requires modding of the configuration files and registry. The Sims Workshop, I believe is a program used to create meshes and "modded" files for your game. It may very well be that in order for the files to work in your game, the registry needs to be changed or DLLS needed to changed. For people that have new systems that are very alert, everything will get flagged. When your computer encounters a new program or file that it is not familiar with your virus software will come up asking if you want to continue to allow interactions with the program and file. You may not know that this happens constantly, but when you manually install software (like the sims) It doesn't ask you because you are consciously installing it.

When using virus software, you must be educated and aware of what you are donig. You can really mess up your computer by getting rid of or blocking things that were flagged as "potential threats" that turn out to be normal processes and not actually viruses. I wouldn;t be so quick to regard this alert you recieved as an actual virus. Your system is simply very sensitive and is attempting to protect you by flagging every "change" it comes across, thst is why the virus software leaves the decision up to you. You need to make an informed decision when choosing to address the "suspect file" or ignore the alert. In this case, I would say this is not an actual virus!

Now, What I would like to say is there are some websites out there for Sims content that ARE infact malicious.  Some sims content creators who have their own websites, use Mediafire, its a website that allows you to host files and images when your service doesnt have enough space, or you are over the bandwith. The content creators themselves are innocent, its this host website I am warning against. I would not reccommend anyone to download from a website that uses mediafire. Mediafire installs trackers, and marketing software, as well as worms and trojans on your system. You will also start to notice that it tracks what you do online, so If I do an internet search for "Sims 2 Houses", I will start to see ads related to real estate, or recieve emails about mortgage. This is how marketing software and bots work it "spies" on you. Mediafire has reason to do this, they need the marketing information to be able to pay for the free services they are providing for file hosting so that they stay in bussiness. Beware of "free" services online... you aren't buying anything, instead you are the product. Your activity online is what that want, it is valuable info. Whereas, there would be no intention for thesimsresource to use spyware, it is a user populated website like modthesims it survives based on the community.

I hope this information is helpful to everyone.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:23:11 pm by yesterdame » Logged
Chaavik
Got Blood?
Super Mod

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 04:26:26 am »

I wouldn't be so quick to download a program from someplace that potentially changes the registry or core files Windows need to operate. There have been reports about the program at TSR that caused a lot of issues. You should read the flip side of the story before you share this with everybody.

Some programs -are- viruses in disguise, and they will modify your Windows files in ways you wouldn't be aware of. Any program that does modify your Windows or system files should be avoided. Only trust programs from well known software companies like McAfee for example.

There are more ways to protect yourself other than simply being aware of the program modifying your Windows or system files. Obtain software to protect yourself online such as Internet security and better browsers for secure viewing.

Dancing Squirrels
Razamataz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 04:24:07 pm »

Dear yesterdame unlike you I have posted here more then once. Informative as your post Might be, One post on the day you join says your just wanting to start somthing. With that said go back to TSR!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: