Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 01:48:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How worth it is it  (Read 5011 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
rockguitardevil

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2009, 11:15:12 pm »

I've been looking at the game love sims 2 and saw my target has sims 3 on sale now to me it looks like some parts are better and some took a down fall so i'm really on the fence about it getting it keep in mind I was the same with sims 2 at first and pretty much hated it for a while so is it worth giving a chance or should I keep with sims 2 for now.
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 11:21:55 pm »

It just depends on what you like I guess. In my honest opinion if I knew what I was getting myself into and what the game was 'really' like I wouldn't have payed a dime for it. EA really dropped the ball on this one. TS2 is and will always be so much better than TS3. Lips Sealed
rockguitardevil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:25:57 pm »

Thanks I just want opinions usally by looking at a game right away I know if I want it or not this one I can't make up my mind.
Chaavik
Got Blood?
Super Mod

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 07:35:37 am »

Someone started an identical thread in another Sims 3 section, asking for honest opinions from those of us who play Sims 3.

My post in that thread highlights some of the good and bad points of Sims 3. Take a look there for yourself. Mr Squinge also mentioned some things in that thread too.

Look at the screenshots in the Sims 3 sections and consider a few things first. Take into account that your system has to meet certain criteria to be able to play Sims 3. Consider the amount of money you would have to spend improving your system specs (by buying a new video card and/or more memory) just to play Sims 3. Is it justifiable to spend more money than what's it worth to just play Sims 3. The game itself roughly cost 60 to 80 bucks in various parts of the world, and the upgrades could cost more than 60 to 80 bucks. I was fortunate not to have to upgrade much. I spent 40 bucks on a 1 GB DDR2 memory stick to add to the one I already have to total 2 GB of memory on my machine, and my video card was decent to render the graphics just fine. So I didn't really spend much money upgrading my machine. It is a choice you make to upgrade or wait a bit longer for newer computers to become cheaper in the fall to shop for if you and your family wants a new system.

As well as whether you can get the upgrades if you're a minor living with your parents. They may have the "say so" and might tell you the same thing I said about considering whether it's worth the money to upgrade the machine just to play Sims 3. To them, maybe the money could be spent on other important things at the moment and consider Sims 3 as either a luxury or a frivolous item not to want right then.

Hope this will help you out with your soul searching quest to whether buy Sims 3 or not.. It doesn't hurt to wait a bit longer to see what more is out there. Mods are constantly being rolled out almost everyday to make gaming a bit more fun or frustrating for you and others.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Dancing Squirrels
Don't PM me with demands/requests. Make them here.
Come play Aetolia with us!
gazania
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 03:26:20 pm »

I should first write that I do not own Sims 3. My plan is to consider buying it next year, when some of the nasty stuff has been ironed out. There is a very good chance I might pass on it even then. One problem is that my card is one of the cards that some people report is causing trouble with their game ... and my card came out last year, so it's not a case of obsolete hardware. (Some people with certain configurations involving specific ATi 4800-series cards reported graphics problems. Most likely, not every person with this type of card has this problem, and for all I know, it might not even specifically be the card's fault, but personally, I'm not taking the chance until someone can figure out why this is happening with even some of the cards.) Before I even think of getting this game at all, I need to make sure that EA worked out the problem. Supposedly, they're looking into it. I'm not holding my breath.

Personally, after reading hundreds of reviews of the game (yes, really!) here, on other Sims 2 sites, and on Amazon, I don't think the game is worth the risk of shelling out $50. Not even $40. EA made a lot of mistakes, and left a lot of bugs in it when it released the game. Thankfully, many creators and modders have eased the problems caused by these bugs. However, if you watch EBay carefully, you can get a much better buy on the game. Right now you can get the game for at least 30% off the MRP. I've even seen sealed new games go for $30 or $31 from reputable sellers on EBay. I keep telling people to wait it out for just a little longer if they're not sure. At this point, the price is dropping quite a bit.

And if you don't have the cash to buy a compatible video card or other upgrades if you find out that Sims 3 won't play nicely with your configuration, and you're not sure if you'd like the game, even having a $20 coaster is too much. Can you afford to buy new hardware for your computer at this point in your life if need be? (I think someone already pointed that out ... I don't take credit for that idea at all.)

Your best bet is probably what you're doing now ... read the positive and negative reviews on Amazon and sites like these, and take the pros and cons into consideration. Check and double-check to see if your computer has even a chance with this game. Many people are having problems getting the game to run. As Chaavik wrote, try testing the game out somewhere else, like a friend's machine, if you're not sure if the game is right for you. And don't simply waltz into a chain store, plunk down money, and buy the game at its original price, or even $5 lower. Watch for really good sales and specials. They're there.

As for whether you'd like the gameplay ... I think others have written about it pretty well. Look at both sides. This game has two very distinctive groups concerning it. Some utterly loathe the game. Some really like it.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:07:57 am by gazania » Logged
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 03:30:05 pm »

I've been reading the reviews at Amazon-and they vary widely. They're from simmers of all types, and it's a a chancy thing to get it right now, depending on whether or not you have the machine to match the game and the specs on the machine to play it properly.
Aside from that, this game has divided the community in such a way that I've never seen such a split ever, within the community itself. It has polarized entire segments.

I would suggest you read more reviews, look at the Sims 3 discussion board to see what problems others are having and just take it as it comes-the game will not disappear overnight, and if EA does improve on it, the game will be more playable in a year or so, given that the modders are working furiously to beef it up to playable standards that everyone who's ever played Sims 2 is used to.

Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 03:02:22 pm »

I feel that buying the Sims 3 would be a mistake (me personally).

There are people who love the game--mostly those who have become bored with Sims 2 and still feel an urge to play a simulation game of some sort; and newcomers to the series. If Sims 3 will be your first Sims game, then you will probably enjoy it if you think and appreciate the same values in a game as most people.

The reasons why I did not enjoy playing the Sims 3:

1. Empty Shell buildings and no neighborhood customization. Most people don't seem to mind this, if you're not really big into making neighborhoods and community lots, this won't be a problem for you.

2. Ugly Sims. Even with CC they all still look a bit strange.

3. New gameplay. As others have said, this game is not canon to Sims 2. You may or may not like the new gameplay.

(3rd) Ae Young Kim Mother of the Year
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: