Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 12:11:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A whole plethora of unassigned bones.  (Read 2886 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
twisted FATE xx

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2009, 08:23:07 pm »

I posted this to MTS2 as well, but I remembered how helpful you guys are here and how you helped me solve my last problem, so I hoped to share it with you, if you guys don't mind? <3

Because I've got just a bit of a problem here. I opened up Bodyshop last night and  groaned aloud when I took a look at a mesh I created, because I recognized the problem right away. The arms were stuck straight out (I forgot to grab a picture when BS was open, unfortunately) in the standard pose you work with when meshing (or when you hit F6 in BS, come to think of it), like so:

This is familiar. I opened up my file in Milkshape and confirmed my suspicions that the skeleton was missing. So I naively assumed, "Okay. Well, if I import in a complete mesh with the skeleton then import my borked athletic mesh and delete the original groups, the athletic mesh will have its own skeleton now. Everything's just hunky-dory."

Evidently, I was wrong. If you do that, you have a skeleton in the mesh package, but none of the bones are assigned to it. Hence, "Unassigned bones exist."

Arghhh. Here, I have no experience because I've never had to deal with unassigned bones before. I can't seem to find a straight-up tutorial anywhere either, but I gathered that I have to use the Unimesh bone tool. First, I clicked on 'SelUnAssigned" in the Joints tab to select the unassigned bones. The entire mesh was selected. Then I went to Sims2 Unimesh Bone Tool V4.09.  That's when I saw that it said #1 of 1562.

Oh, you've got to be kidding me. I think that what I have to do is open up one of the other meshes with perfectly assigned bones and copy-paste the bone assignments from one to another, right? So I have to do this for all 1562 bones? And with the various other working meshes I looked at, the numbers in the Weight and Bone Index columns varied. Is there a specific value they have to be set at? And do I really have to manually copy-paste every single bone assignment? Why can't I find any information on this error out there? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there may be a handy-dandy little button that will magically make things better, but I'm doubting it. Any form of assistance would be greatly appreciated, as I apparently don't know jack in this area. 

And to make matters worse, I still don't know what one earth I did wrong in the first place to somehow lose my skeleton and the bones on these meshes. This mesh in particular has been hell to work with, and I'm really trying to avoid having to remesh everything.  Embarrassed
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 08:09:50 am »

I am srry....there is no easy solution.....best thing is to start over.
Reassigning the whole mesh is a awful lot of work.
You could switch the parts you didn't edit with originals and reassigne the rest manual but if the shoulders/arms or butt/hips are included you better start over.

I am still puzzled how people manage to delete the skeleton(wich causes to lose all boneassignements)
I made hundreds of meshes and never had this problem.
The only thing i can think of is that along the way you might have choosen ''select all'' and included by accident all the skeleton bones, then use the delete key....

If you forget to add the correct comments in the comment boxes you also lose bonesettings but not the case her.(you then get only one boneassignement max to each vertice.)

Not sure if you have backups(ms3d files?)
If you have, these might still have the correct assignements.

No longer active
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: