Insimenator.org
April 20, 2024, 04:20:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Edition addon (for creators/modders) *UPDATED to v1.1*  (Read 25484 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 06:49:18 pm »

I believe the answer is to remove the AddOn\Test folder, or at least change the file extension of the files in it.
Chaavik
Got Blood?
Super Mod

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 11:53:02 pm »

The problem is that he made some of his mods dependent on this particular mod, and the way he designed the mod caused the spam of the game engine dialog messages to appear if I had my Sim do something at the sink. I believed the same goes for the other version of this particular mod listing the most current EP.

If I delete this particular folder, then the other mods cease to function.

Thus the reason to ask if there is a possible way to disable the dialog message spam but to click on the sink and do something like "Check Game Engine".

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Dancing Squirrels
Don't PM me with demands/requests. Make them here.
Come play Aetolia with us!
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 01:15:21 am »

Unless the mod packaging was changed, the packages in the Test folder are for development/debug use only and not meant for normal game play.  The packages in the AddOn folder are required for his other mods to function.

I'm out.  Sorry for trying to help.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 08:55:52 am by ancienthighway » Logged
Chaavik
Got Blood?
Super Mod

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 06:29:16 am »

Just let him have his word before we jump to conclusions, okay? I only wanted to find out if he can add or revise part of the mod by adding an option to the pie menu and disable the spam or not.

"Humor.. It is a difficult concept.. It is not logical.." - Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: Wrath of Khan
Dancing Squirrels
nobody7382

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 01:49:55 pm »

as ancienthighway explained, those messages are caused by extracting the files from TEST.RAR and/or TEST2.RAR.  those 2 files are just for testing purposes.  the only file that you should have copied to your Downloads directory is df_game_edition_addon.package, and nothing else.  if you do that, then the sinks won't display messages.  it is all explained in the readme file.
Chaavik
Got Blood?
Super Mod

Criminal Mastermind

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 02:37:29 pm »

Quoted from your "df_game_edition_addon_1.1" file:

Also included in TEST.RAR is "test_game_edition_flags.package".  If you want to
know which EPs/SPs are installed on your machine, then first install the addon
itself.  Next put the test hack in your Downloads directory and run the game.

All you need to do is add any sink to a lot and then run the mouse pointer over
the sink.  It prints out messages on the screen for each EP/SP that is
currently installed on your machine.

Another hacked named "test_engines.package" is included in TEST2.RAR.  Install
and use it just like one above.  This other hack will print out which Game
Engine is the highest one currently installed on your computer.

You can only use one of the TEST hacks at a time.  Just delete the one you are
not using or else they will conflict with one another.

That particular quotation states to install either file from TEST or TEST2 to work with df_game_edition_addon.

Does not mention that installing either file from TEST or TEST2 is optional if we don't want spam to pop up on the screen each time the mouse hovers over the sink.

Needs to be clear that the TEST and/or TEST2 files are optional because I was under the impression that either file is necessary to work with df_game_edition_addon or the other identical file. You didn't indicate that these files were optional, and that only df_game_edition_addon or the other file is needed to be installed alone to allow your other mods to work correctly in game.

Thanks for the clarification. I will remove that file. I suggest revising only that part to be more clearer to those who ran into similar snafus like I did.

To AH:

No, you helped. And thanks for your help. Sometimes the original creator is the best source of help to go to for help.

Dancing Squirrels
nobody7382

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 02:41:54 am »

Thanks for the advice.  I had also added the bit at the top already:
...I'll make this clear upfront.  Do not install any test files from the embedded RAR archives unless you are planning on making your own hacks.  Those 2 files make messages scroll down your screen every time you move the mouse over a sink.  They are only for testing hacks that you make yourself.
But I think adding a choice in the pie-menu (like you suggested) for both of those test files may be a good idea. That way you can leave them installed but have to actually select a menu option to make it scroll the messages. It seems other people install them by mistaken too and end up reporting that their sinks are spamming messages all the time  Undecided
SimmySue29

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 05:32:50 pm »

Marvelous!

Thank you.
analuciasc

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 07:39:50 pm »

Is there a way to add an option to disable the popup messages every time the mouse hovers over the sink when I need to direct the Sim to wash the baby, get a drink from or wash dishes in the sink? It does become slightly annoying when the mouse hovers over the sink, and the dialog messages popped up more than once.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: