Insimenator.org
April 29, 2024, 06:14:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Major, major insane lag.  (Read 4216 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
SangsBleus

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2009, 01:15:55 pm »

Toshiba Satellite M305-S4848
4GB 800MHz SDRAM
250GB HDD
Sims 2
Bon Voyage
University
Nightlife
Open For Business
FreeTime
Seasons
Stuff Pack: Teen Style Stuff

Well, I just installed the OFB, FreeTime, and Seasons expansion packs. And when I go into the game, which takes two whole hours to load might I add, the lag is insane. Neighborhoods take at least 10-15 minutes to load the game itself takes 2 hours to load. And then a family takes at least 20 minutes to load. I don't mind waiting like, 45 minutes for the game itself to load, but two hours?

How can the lag in the game be taken care of? So it doesn't take me an entire two minutes to rotate to the bedroom and tell my Sim to go to sleep. Also, how can I speed up the entire game itself - as in the 2 hour loading for the entire game?

I have the Compressorizer thing and I organize most things in the Download folder into folders. Everything is compressed.

What else can I do?

All answers are appreciated.
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 05:12:25 pm »

You don't list the processor or graphics chip types but, for that machine, it would seem you have way too much game installed for the processor and chipset (onboard graphics) to handle without the major lag you mention.

Based on the manufacturer's specs, my own guesstimate is that the machine could probably handle up through OFB, but any EPs beyond that would severely strain (and could potentially damage) both the processor and the graphics chipset.

EDIT: Just to be a bit clearee, the graphics chipset (Intel GMA series) is likely the real weak link for dealing with EPs beyond OFB. Especially with a laptop, excess heat generated by the strain on the chipset can be a threat to the life of the computer.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:48:03 pm by rwills » Logged
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 05:31:58 pm »

How much downloads do you have?

I know my game (all  EP/SP, and about 14 GB downloads, not compressed) takes around 20 min to start on my new "gaming" computer, and with very little lagging when playing. With no downloads - only a minute or two.  

With my old laptop (512mb RAM, 80GB HDD, up to FT, 9-10 GB downloads) it took between 1 and 1 1/2 hours, maybe even 2 hours with more downloads. It lagged even more after I installed FT - both in loading time, and while playing (I always had a book with me while playing, because I could end up sitting waiting for the "change appearance" window, CAS, or skintone change from normal to werewolf or similar, for everything from 5 minutes to over half an hour. Quit&save the game took about as long as starting it, over an hour...).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:45:11 pm by theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 06:30:44 pm »

Another question: have you cleaned up your computer lately?

Defragging is one way to speed up the game, if you haven't done so. Getting rid of unneeded/unnecessary programs is another way. These are good programs to use in cleaning up your HD from unnecessary stuff:

http://www.piriform.com/ (CCleaner and Defraggler)

But as has been noted, the amount of CC, and your chip set are all culprits.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 07:14:48 pm by MaryH » Logged

SangsBleus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 07:18:30 pm »

I have 5.50 GB of downloads.

And yes, I have cleaned my computer lately. Just yesterday.

So could I possibily uninstall one of the expansion packs? I could do without one or two... Would that lighten the load? I don't want my computer to die. I just got it last Christmas so I'm trying to hang onto this for as long as possible. I could delete OFB seeing as it doesn't do much for me and Teen Style stuff.

What are your thoughts?
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 07:35:50 pm »

My thoughts are to first do a back-up of the entire My Documents--EA Games--The Sims 2 folder, and then uninstall FreeTime and Bon Voyage.*

Also you'd need to delete any BV-specific or FT-specific custom content you have.

If the lag is still more than you are willing to put up with, then uninstall Seasons.

Base game up through OFB are not as computer-straining as are EPs (and the M&G SP) which came out after OFB.

Remember that Sims2 is not backwards-compatible (you will lose all your saved games), so read about uninstalling EPs (and about back-ups) here before doing any uninstalls:

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Uninstall#How_to_Uninstall_Expansions

*If you don't want to lose your saved games, then you should not uninstall an EP.
SangsBleus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 07:53:23 pm »

FreeTime and Bon Voyage you say?

Could I possibly substitute an expansion for FreeTime? I just got it and I really like it so far, but I'm not crazy about Bon Voyage. I could uninstall Bon Voyage and possibly University, and the Teen Style SP. If I did that, do you think it would have an effect?
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 09:12:26 pm »

Entirely up to you what you want to try to uninstall (with the same caveats mentioned previously) and then see if the lag improves.

All I can offer is that the later EPs are more additionally graphics-intensive and computer-resource-hogging than the earlier ones.

My own desktop computer cannot handle anything after OFB, and that is because the best graphics card it can possibly accomodate (not the manufacturer's chipset, but a freestanding graphics card) gets flummoxed with any of the later EPs.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 02:36:08 am »

In addition to everything already posted, any neighborhood that loads for the first time after adding new EPs will take longer than you are used to because of the neighborhood files being modified for the new EPs.  Subsequent loading, provided the new EPs haven't put the computer into a highly stressed condition, should be more in line with what you're used to having.
Engram

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 06:08:23 am »

If you want to keep FT, get rid of Seasons. The rain and snow will make the lag even more insane. That would have been the first one to go if I were in the same situation. That and BV.

Ell-jay: lots, sims, defaults and other downloads<br />The Thunder God went for a ride upon his favourite filly.<br />\"I\'m Thor!\" he cried, the horse replied<br />\"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!\"
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 06:37:22 am »

Also, if the game lags when you're playing - remember that the game graphics on the highest setting also makes the game lag. It's a good idea to turn off shadows and reflections - since these are not really neccessary to play.
If you don't take pictures to show around on forums, you could probably turn down the graphics even more.

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
SangsBleus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 10:02:31 pm »

Thanks for all of your input - especially rwills! I've tried a few things that you guys have told me to do, and it's running faster now! It loads in at least 45-60 mins so this is some time I can deal with... for now at least. And the lag has gotten better.

Thanks a lot! Smiley
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 10:10:53 pm »

It was suggested by someone to get rid of unwanted unnecessary programs. Yes, this will help clear room on your hd, but you could also consider closing any unnecessary background programs before launching the game. That should help too.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 02:55:12 am »

There's also one other thing (if you haven't done it yet) that you could do-use the Compressorizer on your game dl's.

It can knock off a significant amount of size on those. I wouldn't live without it!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: