Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 04:41:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on Camera Mods  (Read 3504 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
ladymiriam

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2009, 06:16:04 am »

Hello everyone,

Like with most things, I know very little about the virtues of the various camera mods that are available to us.  I started to use the Gunmod one as it was the one I'd seen mentioned most around the community, and suited my purposes.  Then I read in the readme that this particular camera mod is not intended for playing mode and when I tried it I could see why.  So, I'm looking for advice on the other camera mods that are around, particularly the ones that are intended for playing mode, so that I can swap between the two types depending on what I'm doing.  Is there one out there that is good for both modes?  In all honesty, I'm unable to tell you exactly what I want to do, other than be able to get good snaps in play mode-I'm new to taking photos.  Maybe you could tell me what you use and why.  I very much appreciate you taking the time to answer me.  Thank you.

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 06:50:39 am »

The first thing you should know, is that camera mods isn't the thing you should try out first. Learn how to comtrol the ingame camera first, which controls you can use and shortcuts. A camera mod won't automatically give you more knowledge about how to take better pictures. I myself managed very good without the camera mod at first. And I won't say that the one I've got now makes everything a lot easier...

Learn how to use the play camera and the TAB camera (camera man mode), and also which shortcuts you'll need to steer the cameras better. After that, you can see where you need more control, and find a camera mod that does what you need it to do.

Just like in real life, getting a brand new digital camera with lots of buttons and funny attributes won't neccessarily take better pictures than that 50 year old film camera you had before. Learn how to use the ingame cameras before you figure out what you need to "upgrade" Wink

A few shortcuts you'll need:
* the arrow buttons (or WASD - moves the camera sideways, forward and backwards)
* Q and E (only in TAB mode) - up and down
* , and . rotates the camera
* mouse - tilting the camera (scroll is out/in)
* C (takes ingame picture)
* Page up/down (up/down one floor)
* Home/end (up/down walls)
* + and - shifts the lens from normal to wide and/or narrow (only TAB mode)

And a little trick I've learned - if you're photographing in build/buy mode - press R to get the grids away (since R - the recoloring tool - is one of the only shortcuts that does this...) Smiley

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
ladymiriam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 07:58:28 am »

Thanks TheRaven, I didn't manage to work out the shortcut for rotating the camera using the keys so that's handy, there'll be more control there I take it.  I had never thought that I'd need a camera mod until I tried to take a photo of a 4x4 lot and discovered I couldn't get far enough back to do it.  I'd like to get into taking more pics, it's helping me learn the Gimp a bit better, and I'd like to present any lots I put up here for download in the best possible light.  Also, after some positive feedback from the people at Living Sims Forum I'm about to apply for a photographry position with them (what I lack in talent I make up for with loads of free(-ish) time).  I like what I can do with the camera mod I'm using but it's annoying when I forget to take it out to play, after waiting so long for the game to load I've got to quit and replace the folder.  Thanks for the tips, I'm sure I'm not the only one who will read this and learn something.

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 08:41:45 am »

For the 4x4 lot, try to use the TAB camera, and the "-" button. It changes the "lens" on the camera, so you get a "zoom out" effect. Could be helpful Wink

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: