Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 01:07:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does it matter if I downloaded a lot if I dont have a stuff pack ?  (Read 4247 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
simpleprincess
Princess in training.

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2009, 01:41:38 pm »

If i downloaded a lot and it has a stuff pack in it that I dont have installed will it still mess up my game? I know the expansions can be a problem but wondered about the stuff packs ? are they still a problem if a lot has made with them and you dont have it?

I won all the sims 2 exps on ebay today and just sent off them so will have every EP again in a few days but stuff pack wise will only have teen.celebration and family fun. possibly festive holiday.
SenkoTwiik
Carnival Freakshow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 02:59:44 pm »

I don't think that it will mess up your game, but if the download says that it requires a certain pack, it does. The material you downloaded won't work in your game if you don't meet the requirements.

Let He who is without sin...kick the first arse.

My Girls: http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,108744.0.html
My site: http://voodoonightmares.freeforums.org/
simpleprincess
Princess in training.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 03:22:15 pm »

I just a bid on ebay for the stuff pack complete collection so hopefully that will solve that but wanted to ask incase I dint win or get any more. :kiss:
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 03:59:07 pm »

I'm not in the habit of downloading houses, so I am not an expert, by any means. That being said, if you install a house needing a certain EP (and you aren't using CI) you may get the "This download requires information from an expansion pack you don't have" message. Honestly, I don't know what will happen if you try using a house needing an EP you don't have. It could be anything from the install not working, to you missing content in the house or flashing blue objects (stemming from an object or objects needing said EP being missing in your game).

I know Numenor made an "Any Game Starter" mod that some house builders use to ensure their lots are base game friendly, and they will usually say something to the effect of "packaged using Numenor's Any Game Starter" or something to that effect.

I would err on the side of caution and wait until you get the EPs you just bought before installing any EP specific houses you may have. Especially if you only have to wait a few days. Wink 

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:25:09 pm »

Yes, it matters.

What differs for any particular lot is the degree to which it matters.

You might end up with a lot in which some elements are missing (for example, carpets or tile).
You might end up with a lot in which some elements (for example, windows) show up as a Maxis default or otherwise incorrectly.
You might end up with a lot in which some elements are flashing blue (or else show up as strings of text and numerals due to a missing mesh).
You might end up with a lot which either will not load or which will crash your game.
You might end up with a lot which contains game-wide default replacements (and thus will change other lots you already have).

It all depends on what EP- or SP-dependent elements are included with the lot.

Using Clean Installer to install lots is highly recommended, as it gives you the option of selecting what you actually want to install (the barebones lot/house and/or any other particular elements which may be included with it) as well as the option to not install any hacks which might (advertantly or inadvertantly) be included with the lot (and any of which might negatively impact your game). It is not uncommon for lot creators to create a house/lot in their game set-up which includes hacks (either minimal or global hacks) or hacked objects and either be unaware of that or fail to provide that information in their descriptions.

Note that Clean Installer will not give you the 'missing EPs/SPs' warning, but on the other hand will allow you to check many items individually and have the install process ignore additional associated content which may be EP- or SP-dependent.

Info/download of Clean Installer here:

http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/index.php?page=4
ShadowGuardian
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 04:04:44 pm »

deleted, though it got quoted
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 11:00:35 pm by ShadowGuardian » Logged
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 04:20:24 pm »

I think it'd just flash blue, whatever was from that stuff pack.
I admit.. I downloaded all my sims stuff through torrents..>.>... XD

Not a kosher thing to admit around here. We don't support or help people with their games if we know they downloaded it from a torrent site, since it's against site rules.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:49:52 pm by caffeinated.joy » Logged

Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 04:33:52 pm »

I think it'd just flash blue, whatever was from that stuff pack.
I admit.. I downloaded all my sims stuff through torrents..>.>... XD

Quoted again, just to show the foolishness. Also, ShadowGuardian, for outing yourself you just lost any damn support you could have gotten with your game, how does it feel??

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
ShadowGuardian
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 10:59:38 pm »

I borrowed the game and most of the EPs and SP's from my friend, actually, downloading it all was an exxageration lol, and downloaded the couple I didn't have.  The ones the store didn't carry around here by the time my computer was functional enough to play the game. (Also I lost my job and needed something to keep my boredom back)  I also didn't want to pay for it if my computer wouldn't even run it, and I thought it wouldn't, and it does, so I'm surprised.  With Sims 3 coming out Sims 2 stuff is hard as hell to find in ANY stores... probably some time soon the ONLY way to get anything for it is to download it online ugh...
I DID buy sims 3 and my idiot boyfriend loaned it out WITHOUT MY PERMISSION..>.<.... and now I no longer own it... His friend lost it. *Is still pissed over that* 50 dollars for a danged computer game.... then I had to sell the computer that ran it for money for food, then he lost the game. Yeah, still annoyed over that when I could have set it aside until I eventually got a new computer.... I like Sims 2 more anyway, though, so I'll just keep that.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 11:11:49 pm by ShadowGuardian » Logged
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 11:09:21 pm »

We don't do the torrent thing here. Period. If you're running Sims on hacked versions of the game you won't get support here because EA can come down hard on us for doing so. The rules state our position on torrent sites quite clearly.

Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 12:40:33 pm »

Illegal is still illegal, borrowed or torrented, you didn't buy the danged thing so don't expect to be able to get any support here for your game, IF you manage to slip back in under the fence. Silly twit.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
sadet_anomaly

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 07:35:15 am »

You don't need the stuff pack for it to work,but anything that comes with that stuff pack or is custom content you will just see it flashing blue.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: