Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 02:06:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make sims 2 clean installer default to install content?  (Read 2036 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
simpleprincess
Princess in training.

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2009, 12:33:21 pm »

Because ever since i installed winrar,winrar has taken over? I dont know how to change it so sims 2 clean installer does it instead. I couldnt find a way to change it? if someone knows how?

Stupid winrar installed a lot the other day and the ground is flashing blue? Im sure clean installer would have corrected it? im also trying to download a sim but it says i dont have expansion pack data for it even though I now have every EP except for pets. and a few stuff packs.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 02:12:51 pm »

Right click the file, choose "open with" and then "choose default program". Then choose the installer from the list that comes up. That should do the trick.

Winrar/winzip can't install anything for sims. They just unpack the zip/rar files.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:34:31 pm by theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Engram

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 04:33:19 pm »

Clean Installer installs Sims2pack files. WinRAR unpacks .zip and .rar files. They are not the same thing and WinRAR is not "installing" anything for you, it is simply unpacking compressed files for you. The flashing blue problem is due to something else and not the fact that WinRAR unpacked a file. The message about not having the necessary expansion installed means that you were trying to use the game's installer and not Clean Installer to install the sim.

Try re-installing Clean Installer. I find that in order to make sure that it is my default unpacker for Sims2Pack files I have to re-install it every time I install a new EP or SP. Or you can use the method described by theraven. The icons for Sims2Pack files should change from the navy man-in-a-box to the light blue circle thingy. This indicates that Sims2Pack files are now associated with Clean Installer and that it is your default Sim2Pack file installer.

Ell-jay: lots, sims, defaults and other downloads<br />The Thunder God went for a ride upon his favourite filly.<br />\"I\'m Thor!\" he cried, the horse replied<br />\"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!\"
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 08:00:40 pm »

As others have correctly stated, Winrar does not and cannot install anything into the game, and for Sims2Pack files, just right-click on them and choose Clean Installer to handle and install them.

That said, if you don't like Winrar (in my own opinion it is bloated, crappy nagware), then uninstall it and use something else to unpack zip and rar files. Personally, I like the free, safe, unobtrusive and user-friendly 7-zip:

http://www.7-zip.org
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: